PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam

pommy
14-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Anyone fished Vietnam?

Anyone know of tackle or lure manufactureres in Vietnam?

Likely to go there in January 2010.

Regards, Rob.
Ballina

Swindells
15-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi mate, i went to vietnam in Nov last year, most of the fish there are fairly small and they mostly fish with nets. if you want to fish probably the best place is Hoi an, you will also find some charters around the place, they offer fishing like tuna, cobia and mackeral but don't be fooled, those fish aren't in Vietnamese waters as far as i know.

funkngroovy
15-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I did a fishing/diving charter out of NaTrang.

Diving was average, fishing was worse. Awsome country tho!

Swindells
15-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, Nha Trang was cool. it is a great country to visit.

Get away from the cities if you can, the landscape is beautiful over there.

There's plenty to do and the people are generally pretty good, get ready to be harrassed constantly, people will come up asking where you're going and when you tell them they'll give you quick directions even if you know where to go then demand money for it. there's a lot of that sort of thing but its a great place, i spent 3 weeks there and loved it. just don't get excited about fishing there.

The war museums are cool, the reunification palace i would probably have done without, it's just like visiting parliment, a big building filled with meeting rooms, a bit boring though my girlfriend enjoyed it.

Wait until you get to Hanoi, man are you in for a suprise... OMFG...

Swindells
15-09-2009, 10:28 AM
oh and if you don't do anything else in the country, make sure you go on a junket cruise for a few days in Halong bay. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS. it is my favorite place on the planet. Honestly, do not go to vietnam without doing this, you WILL regret it.

Remember - Junket cruise, HALONG BAY.

BayDog
15-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Never had the problem with the guys asking for money for directions. Don't bother with the fishing we've got it too good here, you'll only be dissappointed. Don't know about tackle manufacturers. I got some cast nets made there. And if you do the junk cruise make sure you go for the longer 3 night cruise. i was dissappointed with the one i went on. Here's some pics of some catfish i caught in a shallow drain at my wifes aunties house near Ca Mau

yellowbeard
15-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Same over most of Asia. Dynamite and Cyanide fishing didn't help much either:

Sorry mate, couldn't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxacrz7c6BQ

pommy
15-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey swindells!

Would my wife and 4 and 5 year old daughters like the "junket" cruise?!

Maybe not.

Regards, Rob.

Swindells
16-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah mate they would like it, the junk boats are quite big, and clean. nice facilities. they take you through Halong bay which has just been listed as one of the natural wonders of the world. they take you through cave systems and visit a floating village. then you can throw the girls on your lap and kayak around for a while.

You may want to take something to keep the girls interested while cruizing but it's definetly worth doing.

BayDog
16-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Totally agree with swin the kids will love it !

Man that dynamite fishing vid was fkn hilarious! love it