PDA

View Full Version : aussie bass

PNG1M
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
This is just intended as a bit of a tip as to where you might catch a bass not too far from Brissy....

A bloke I know took my brother & his kids for a bass fishing trip to North Pine River this weekend. My brother's 7 year old caught six bass and his 5 year old sister caught three. Yep, and they took some home for dinner...

I dunno how many fish the adults caught between them but the bloke I know who found the spot caught 19 in a solo session a few weeks back.

I do not know the exact location and I don't know the season legalities about the time of the year etc for bass fishing.

But I do know for sure that there's bass in North Pine River.

So...go gettem!

Luc
12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
The North Pine is not a bad place to fish. A look at a map will give you access points. The one that comes to mind is the pumping station.

You could also try North Pine Dam (shore only).

Bag limit is 2 in posession / person

Luc

PNG1M
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow... 2 in possession!

I'm pretty sure the guy I know is conscientious with bag limits and catch & release. I'd be disappointed if we wasn't.

I'm overseas just now so the info I get is being passed on. I'll see if I can find out later what they were using to catch them with and if it was anywhere near the pumping station.

Ican't really imagine my 5 year old neice flicking HB lures with a baitcaster..!?

PNG1M
13-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Ok... here's the John Dory for any keen bassos who want to give it a burl.

Head to LINKFIELD ROAD BRIDGE near Carseldine and walk about 700m North along the river (ie: North Pine River). The spot is there...!!!

They caught the bass on lures and only kept three. All the rest were released back into the water. Apparently this spot has been producing for several months now on the trot.

If anyone does give it a try, let me know how you go.
As I'm overseas just now, I'm green with envy just 'thinking' about a chance like that..!

Mexikan
13-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info PNG but how does old mate feel about you giving away spot x? lol
Mex

were-trout
13-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Ok... here's the John Dory for any keen bassos who want to give it a burl.

Head to LINKFIELD BRIDGE near Carsledine and walk about 700m North along the river (ie: North Pine River). The spot is there...!!!

They caught the bass on lures and only kept three. All the rest were released back into the water. Apparently this spot has been producing for several months now on the trot.

If anyone does give it a try, let me know how you go.

That'd be the South Pine River down Carseldine end wouldn't it? Sounds like it might be worth a punt in the kayak

PNG1M
13-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Yep, from what I've been told its just as described re: 700m North of the bridge (by foot).

It couldn't be too hard a walk as my brother brought his kids along aged 5 & 7yrs. The blokes did the casting and the kids did most of the winding in.

They landed 15 good size fish over an hour or two. The bloke who took them there has caught heaps over the past couple of months - 20 or more in some sessions (but he has been known to blah - blah a bit).

Dunno how the bloke who located the spot would react to my sharing the info (I don't even know if he's on Ausfish or not).

Being an Ausfish member I think its good to be able to share a bit of 'hot info' every now and then. I appreciate it if it comes my way, so why should I be secretive?

As long as anyone who makes the effort to try the spot is responsible and practices catch n release and doesn't leave litter - then it should be fine.

Anyway, ole mate'll just have to handle it - its a free world...

PNG1M
14-09-2009, 02:48 AM
While I'm at it, another hot bass spot for this time of year is about 5km South of Maclean (northern NSW) at a place called Shark Creek.

Plenty of shore based opportunities near the many floodgates (small & large) as you follow the road up the creek. A biggest one is a couple of k's up just near the turn off to Stokes Lane.

Even better if you had a kayak or a small tinnie, then you could follow the creek along right up, on the water. Trolling & casting have both produced fish.

Caught 'oodles' of bass there over the years as I grew up in that region.

I hear that Sportsmans Creek near Lawrence also yields bass if you can pick the spots.

Mike Delisser
14-09-2009, 09:57 PM

You should let them know that it's ok now but Australian Bass have a closed season in the creeks and rivers the starts on the 1st of June and finishes on the 31st of August. It allows them to breed.
Cheers
Mike

PNG1M
14-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks Mike,

I'll let them know as I'm pretty sure the bloke who found the spot HAS fished it during the closed period. Just as well he does the catch n release thing (although I suspect he 'may' have kept the odd one).

Funny how some people think that certain rules apply to other people but not them.

Anyway, a gentle reminder will be on the short term agenda...