PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Leaking Bung

Luc
12-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi all,

Found the leak in my boat is from the bottom of one of the bungs and not hull problem;D

To fix it I intend to drill out the 2 rivets holding it in, remove & clean off all the sealer from bung and hull, reapply generous amount of sealer, reinsert bung and pop rivet.

Any better suggestions?

Rather than rivets, would 2 suitable sized SS bolt/nut be better?

Any particular sealer stands out?

Thanks in advance.

Luc

lethal098
13-09-2009, 09:09 AM
luc, sikaflex prob the best sealer either rivet or bolt back into place, is your boat ally, if so make sure you use duralac when either the rivets or bolts are put in. this will stop galvanic corrosion. cheers Lee

charlie09
13-09-2009, 10:30 AM
If ur gonna use nuts and bolts make sure u use spring washer to avoid the nuts from vibrating loose

bundylundy
13-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Luc,
Hello, may I suggest that you buy a new bung and socket so elminate anything to do with the old bung. Use plenty of sicaflex and blind rivets if using rivets or stainless nylock nuts if using screws.

Jeff.

Roughasguts
13-09-2009, 11:24 AM
You probably don't need rivets if using planty of sikaflex.

BaitThrower
13-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Replaced mine on an ally boat about 12 months ago. Used new fittings and secured with SS nut and screws. Duralac on the area first, then let that sit for 15 mins to form a bit of a skin, then piled tons of sikaflex in and around the holes and between bung and hull and secured them in place... this pushed all the excess sika out around the bung ficture itself then just smoothed that off with a finger ensuring a good seal.

Pretty easy job. just pile the sika on to waterproof it and help hold it on if the screws loosen, but they probably wont because they are sika'd in as well LOL... you can't go wrong.

jareyjareyjareyjarey
13-09-2009, 04:09 PM
im sure you know to give it a really good clean to remove any oil or dirt.

Marlin_Mike
13-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Sikaflex and thouand mile an hour tape..........................fix the worlds problem with those 2

Mike

tunaticer
13-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Is it a small or large bung?
Larger bungs have less tendancy to leak due to larger surface area for the sealant to adhere to. Also if you are a ham fisted bastard like me you probably screw the thing in tight then check it a minute later tightening it more. This over-tightening will stress the sealant bond and possibly cause a leak eventually.
Sikaflex duralac and stainless screws with dome nuts are the go.

gleeeza
13-09-2009, 11:30 PM
A good idea if you are using tapped holes or nuts and bolts is to pull it 7/10th's of the way down, let it set and then pull it down after the sikka has gone off. This gives you a great seal and acts like a spring washer as well.

Gleeeza

Luc
14-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will do the job this weekend using a new fitting.

I'm like tunaticer!!! Do them up tight and then tighthen then again!!!

I suspect that I've been too heavy handed (paranoid about the things loosening up) as when the bung started to leak, when I thightened it up some more, the leak go worse.

Has anyone had experience with those rubber self bailers (BIAS part 2562)?

Luc

BILLY THE KID
14-09-2009, 06:12 PM
if using nuts and bolts 406 Threadlok is your best friend ( until the need to be undone ) best stuff

bigjimg
14-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will do the job this weekend using a new fitting.

I'm like tunaticer!!! Do them up tight and then tighthen then again!!!

I suspect that I've been too heavy handed (paranoid about the things loosening up) as when the bung started to leak, when I thightened it up some more, the leak go worse.

Has anyone had experience with those rubber self bailers (BIAS part 2562)?

Luc
Gidday Luc An experience with those rubber self bailers on a friends ski boat had the rubber component tail depart from the body of the bailer the result was half sunk ski boat while lunch was being had up on the bank as boat was out of sight,the moral of the story is use a bilge pump.Jim

Luc
15-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Jim,

The bilge pump was installed before the first launch (and float switch a bit later) but the pump can't get rid of all the water.

IMO, you'd be cazy to take out a tinny without a bilge pump even if it's a manual one.

Luc