PDA

View Full Version : Etec 200 HO query

sparky54
12-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I am looking at buying a 2005 Seafarer Victory 6 with a Etec 200 HO with only 55 hrs, the boat has about every option you could dream of and is in as new condition. The motor has never been serviced which is worrying me a bit. Do these motors have any problems and who is a good person on the Gold Coast to check it out for me? I also think this motor may be a bit large and thirsty as I have driven one with a 175 Suzuki and they do about 45 kts. Any constructive advice would be appreciated. Sparky

Chimo
12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi Sparky

That should be a great rig.

An OMC Master Tech you could use to check it is Ian Purdon who is Ski and Race Marine here on the Gold Coast. phone 55946557 or 0410 546557. Lindsay Fry (was Seafarer) put me on to him about ten yrs ago and he is very good. Also services the Fry family boats as well as some other AFs motors etc.

Cheers
Chimo

siegfried
12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Ill get shot down for this butI wouldnt go near it. look carefully at the price and get a fair dinkum trade in price on that motor because down here 2nd hand etecs are virtually unsellable. That boat dont need 200hp for normal use unless your a high speed spearfisherman and they dont buy em because the ride isnt good enough

Chimo
12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Or Sparky spend 20 less and get the next mod up ? like the pic in post 2 and if you look to the left ::) http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6618358

With an original Seafarer, as well as everything else, you get great resale too.

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey Siegfried

How much for a couple of 115HP Etecs and where are you?

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a Seafarer Vermont with a 250 E-tec.. When the E-tec is set up correctly it will be near as economical as a 4st, if not just as good... You need to prop these motors to reach the top end off there optimum revs with your usual load.. 5600rpm for the 200ho, 225 & 250....

I run a 19" Rebel and get 5850-5900rpm @ 57mh,, 60mph with a 22" Raker with a light load.. I Cruise on flat water at 3500rpm doing 37mph and get 1.8km/ltr.... In rough condition outside, my mileage drops down to 1.2km/ltr....

A very good E-tec Mechanic is Jim at Paradise Point Marina 07 5577 1011..... He is BRP certified and is very switched on with anything Evinrude...

Ian Purdon s also a Gun with the Evinrude,, He is located at Arundel..

The 3.3lt E-tec is a strong motor and very rarely have anything go wrong.. All tho I did have 2 injectors replaced at 19hrs, that was 206hrs ago and it runs like a Swiss watch, I have no intentions off getting a dealer service until my 300hrs are due.. Most E-tecs that are problematic are usually over-propped and are labouring through out the rev range...

If you do buy that Victory, get the impeller replaced ASAP, a it could desintergrate due to it's age the next time the motor is used... other then that Just get Jim to do a light service and a general check over and it should go like a dream....

siegfried
12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Siegfried

How much for a couple of 115HP Etecs and where are you?

Cheers
Chimo
Chimo you wont get a second hand single let alone a pair because no one down here uses em ,PM me if you like in regards to new stuff,,....hey Jab be interested in how happy you are next time the injectors go and its out of warranty Ill send you some vaseline my friend, 19hrs F^&%$ that

cormorant
13-09-2009, 09:28 PM
The answer in regards to injectors outside warranty is that injectors should last the life of the motor. I think companies like BRP are going to get reamed in Fair trading when challenged outside warranty if you push it . Wish someone would do it so manufacturers of all brands wake up to the fact that computers and injectors should last a reasonable time not just a warranty period. They must realise the bad blood it will create for the motors resale and reputation.

There is absolutely no input by the owner that should be able to kill a injector or computer that is what filters, fuses and sensors should be for.

Strange there seems to be so few threads of optis and etecs seizing these days so the focus has gone to failing parts and their cost outside warranty.

So is there evinrude dealer down there going broke?

Sparky , get it checked out , check it is a good package on the water and find out resale values and make a decision. Work out a tradein price if you want a different motor.

Argle
14-09-2009, 04:51 PM
[quote=cormorant;1072652]
There is absolutely no input by the owner that should be able to kill a injector or computer that is what filters, fuses and sensors should be for.

quote]

Unfortunately there is input in the way of water and other fuel borne contaminants that will still get past filters and sensors and fuses which due to the fine tolerances in injectors will cause failure, not saying that BRP dont have a responsibility to provide a good product and back it up with warranty but I think a lot of people dont realise that you cant treat these engines like the good old premix carb fed engine that would bang away on pretty much any quality of fuel.

julian1
14-09-2009, 04:59 PM
they just seem so finley tuned that any little variation gives them grief, ie they on the edge of lean burning

cormorant
14-09-2009, 06:22 PM
[quote=cormorant;1072652]

quote]

Unfortunately there is input in the way of water and other fuel borne contaminants that will still get past filters and sensors and fuses which due to the fine tolerances in injectors will cause failure, not saying that BRP dont have a responsibility to provide a good product and back it up with warranty but I think a lot of people dont realise that you cant treat these engines like the good old premix carb fed engine that would bang away on pretty much any quality of fuel.

I guess my point is that the sensors are avaliable and should be on a motor to stop the breakdown. It is apiece of machinery used in the real world and owners shouldn't have to polish their fuel before use. Not as if the manufacturer don't know it is going on a boat and dealing with a boats fuel system and fuel from a servo. Product should be designed and fit for service.

The technology exists and the price they are charging it should be incorporated and they should stick by warranty and outside warranty should standy by product for xx hours on components like computers and injectors.

Spaniard_King
14-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Cormorant,

how long do you think the DFI 2 stroke can go on without some feedback to the ECU on the actual combustion status?

I think the next lot of emission standards may see some sort of feedback a must!

cormorant
15-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree Gary they are short a couple of sensors be it exhaust temp and co2 or a real fuel flow meter.. The current crop rely on the assumption that fuel went in cause an injector fired correctly so exhaust comes out to produce revs and if it was approximately within the data range from the factory all should be Ok. For one extra part and 2 wires I don't get why they don't as it would prevent nearly all failures that cause damage to the core mechanics of the motor. On other motors there should be a oil sensor for oil quality in the sump not just temp or level as at short service hours some oil is coming out looking very average.

Gary maybe we can design a range of sensors the manufacturers are avoiding and sell them? Take about 40 minutes to design as they all exist in motorbike ,car or industrial motors now. Call em "engine savers". Strange with my inboard diesel we have a seperate independant set of warning alarms apart from the manufacturers. It does oil temps, block temps, exhaust temps, ultrasonic raw and glycol flow to give us a early warning of issues as soon as you are outside normal operating ranges. Already saved me one motor and a turbo so...

All brands will end up with extra complexity and sensors as they avoid the cat converter as they can't get em to work and last be it oil or salt issues.

It is fine for all companies to be chasing lower emmissions but the user has to realise at some point it starts to compromise the simplicity and servicability of what should be a robust form of propulsion. Getting there and home is the critical thing, pretty cowls, marketing claims and all teh other bull is just playing into the hands of the marketing people.