PDA

View Full Version : Is my boat motor to low

whoopy
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I have a haines hunter 565C with a 175 suzuki 4 store. I think my motor sits to low and could be lifted. Boat runs great i'am just trying to remove some of the drag. Doing this will it get more fuel economy or will the boat become unsafe to drive.
any help would be great ( pros or cons )

maimai
12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
megafish put this link up, have a read

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

OPTI
12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
yeah i go up at least 1 hole,i like to see the cav plate sitting on top of the water

tin can marlin
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I would contact Jim from aqua marine he gives out free advice on stuff like this and he is a top guy.

Roughasguts
12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
If tha cav plate sat on top of the water, then it wouldnt work as a anti cavitation plate.

I would rather see a picture of the rooster tail behind the motor to see for any un due spray.

So who took the picture from the back is there normally some one sitting rearward?? if not then the motor will be higher when no one is there.

tinman
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
The motor is too low. Go up one hole and compare performance.

FNQCairns
12-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Some boats throw a lot of dirty water back due to the rounded less so than a squared trailing edge of the hull, your vent plate could be sitting above the solid water.

Better to just go up until the ventilation at cruising speed, normal fishing boat turns or ski boat turns (don't bother going up), tracking at speed or ventilation in the rough becomes a problem or anything you like is affected adversely.

Adversely means it's too bad for you to live with not that you can recognise the symptom, if there is no symptom noticed at any time you are definitely too low.

My boat is as high as I can possibly take it (most wouldn't put up with mine) and I cannot see the plate, too much dirty water, it is slow to turn, ventilates at cruising speed every now and then...all no big deal but it allows me around 200 rpm worth of efficiency (fuel saving) at cruising speed.

cheers fnq

Midnight
12-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Gday Whoopy,
Yep i'd go up a hole looking at those pics and nothing else.

I also like to see the Cav plate on top of the solid water flow off the transom. Static on the trailer you should be able to have the cav plate level with the bottom of the hull as a starting point. If it is below the hull line at the transom then you are definately too low. (all in my opinion, I am no expert or tradesmen in this field but have around 25 years playing with these things)

Are you propped so that you make max rpm when loaded up?

Cheers,
Myles

Angla
12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
It would be a little better to see photos of the relationship between the bottom of the hull and the Cav plate. From the side would be best with the motor trimmed in fully and also 1 with the motor trimmed until the cav plate is parallel to the line of the hull.
A bit like these

Where is all that spray coming from?

Cheers
Chris

Wahoo
13-09-2009, 12:53 AM
go by the link maimai has put up, to me looks like your motor needs to be lifted one maybe two holes

Daz

Robbo_Townsville
13-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Is that with the boat empty or your normal 2 x 200lt eskies full of the bounty from the reef.

Get back to work!!!!