PDA

View Full Version : Need some info.......

TeamCatfish
11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a brand new member from the USA. I would like information on the catfishing in your country.

We have had few requests for products from Australia and I know nothing about the catfish species your country has to offer.

Here are a few questions I have..........

Are there many catfish anglers in your country?
Freshwater or saltwater?
Are there catfish in lakes and rivers?
What are the best eating and largest species in Australia?
Is there a specific forum or area that anyone knows about that offers detailed catfish information?

I thank you for your time,
Jeff Williams

TimD
11-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Are there many catfish anglers in your country?

I dont think many people target catfish in Australia

Freshwater or saltwater?

Catfish can be caught in fresh and saltwater

Are there catfish in lakes and rivers?

Yes

What are the best eating and largest species in Australia?

I dont know anyone who eats catfish

Is there a specific forum or area that anyone knows about that offers detailed catfish information?

Dont know

cheers tim :)

Lovey80
11-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Maybe Kingtin will chime in here. I hear he loves to eat VERMIN, being an ex pom he can't help it.

To tell you the truth mate most of us consider catfish as vermin. They are annoying buggers that are the last thing you want to eat your bait when your targeting a decent species. Im sure some would eat them but certainly not a target species over here and I highly doubt there would be a market for those wanting to buy artificial lures for them.

Cheers

Chris

rat_catcher
11-09-2009, 04:44 AM
I know the catfish industry in the US and I am also very familiar with catfish in Australia and they are two completely different situations.

Whilst they are plentiful in some rivers, there is no industry that surrounds them, nor is there anybody that targets them.

They are seen purely as a pest and not worth anything commercially. My grandfather used to eat catfish, but that was many many years ago and given he also used to eat mullet out of the local river I guess you can see what his palate was like! ;D

There is also no concept such as noodling in Australia either.

TeamCatfish
11-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Thats good info.......A little suprising, but good! I will have to pry a little when we get requests for products from Australia.......I was just curious and didn't know anytihng about them.

FYI........

Catfish are the #2 sought after fish in the USA and #1 in other countries by freshwater anglers.

They are the #1 freshwater fish when it comes to table fare in restrurants and supermarkets.

Is there a specific reason why anglers look down on the catfish there?

rat_catcher
11-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Because there are so many other far better options to chose from in Australia when you need a feed of fish!

Laurie Schulz
11-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Thats good info.......A little suprising, but good! I will have to pry a little when we get requests for products from Australia.......I was just curious and didn't know anytihng about them.

FYI........

Catfish are the #2 sought after fish in the USA and #1 in other countries by freshwater anglers.

They are the #1 freshwater fish when it comes to table fare in restrurants and supermarkets.

Hi,
I think if any of the guys who love catfishing in the USA came to Australia, they would be in Catfish Heaven!

At Awonga Dam in Central Queensland there is a very healthy Population of Catfish as it seem no one is game to put a bait on the bottom due to the Catfish population.

So you guys in the USA, who enjoy Catfishing would be welcome to come over and help yourselves.

There are also quite large salt water Catfish available.

We are quite spoilt when if comes to fishing, as there are still good numbers of Coral Reef Fish to be caught and eaten.

Cheers

Laurie

Swindells
11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I catch a lot at Wivenhoe dam (fresh) and in the logan river (salt)

I'll sometimes target them when the day is slow and i'm bored, reason being there is no real sport in them, you basically skull drag them to the surface, then you have to handle the slimey buggars and avoid the spikes to release them.

I've never once seen catfish on offer at a restaurant or fish'n'chip shop. maybe our catfish here are different from the USA models? or as other guys have mentioned, we have such an abundance of fantastic sport and eating fish here we don't need to bother with snotty big lipped vermin.

Still, i'd like to hear from someone here who has eaten one. Hey Teamcatfish, how do they taste??

Dicko
11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I've never once seen catfish on offer at a restaurant or fish'n'chip shop.

Coles and Woolies are full of catfish, except it they gave it the smoother, more palatable name of Basa.

No doubt is in some fish and chip shops as well.

finga
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
We target catfish especially in clean freshwater.
In fact I like to eat catfish...but it all depends on where they come from.
Freshwater Eel tailed catfish from Lesley dam is just good tucker as the bottom is gravel not mud. They seem to taste like mud if they live in mud.
In salty water the catfish (or dogfish as they're known as in NSW) has a nice white flesh if caught in clean water like our Bay and I'm sure if people threw the catfish stigma away they would eat them.
The first link is the freshwater eel tailed version
http://www.nativefish.asn.au/tandanus.html
and this is one of our salty versions...the forky tailed
http://www.ausyfish.com/cat_fish.htm
and a few more varieties http://www.ausyfish.com/cat_fish.htm

Swindells
11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Coles and Woolies are full of catfish, except it they gave it the smoother, more palatable name of Basa.

Oh, well in that case i know what catfish taste like and i'm not a fan, i refuse to buy Basa having tried it a few times and it tastes weird and muddy.

Dicko
11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh, well in that case i know what catfish taste like and i'm not a fan, i refuse to buy Basa having tried it a few times and it tastes weird and muddy.

Weird and Muddy ?

Getting off the original topic, but watch this and see why.

fx4cykHy0RM

deepfried
11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Some of those catfish in the US would be fun. They are in a different league size wise compared to ours. But like others have said, better fish here to target. The bulk of our population is also very close to the ocean which offers better fishing.

Swindells
11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Weird and Muddy ?

Yes, you read correctly, weird and muddy.

Swindells
11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Here's the local Cats.

Bowser
11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
When I was younger and fished the western rivers we would keep the eel tailed catfish we caught but they did need to be treated well to get the mud out of them. Well prepared they were a sweet fish, but we would take a yella or cod over them every day.

rat_catcher
11-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Up my way the most common use for them is crabpot bait.

Little grey men
11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I chase eel tail catties out west for a feed. I reckon they taste good. In fact it's the only freshwater fish I like to eat.
For me it's a bait only option as they are hard to get on lures. I've only hooked one on a lure that must have gone right across it's nest during breeding time.

Scott nthQld
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I target catfish every now and then, I'm still yet to come across a better crab bait. Ones about 30cm are good, a couple of slashes in the side, tied in and down it goes, no need to cut them into chunks

bundylundy
11-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Team Catfish,
Blue catfish is fished commercially at Lake Argyle in north Western Australia and marketed under the name "Silver Cobbler". Blue Catfish are caught in both salt and freshwater. Salmon Catfish is a saltwater species found on inshore reefs and are a good fighting sportfish. Freshwater Catfish "Tandanus Tandanus" are a freshwater species that is keenly sought after by anglers that don't mind freshwater fish to eat. Me, i'll never eat one unless i'm stranded up a creek without a paddle and I've eaten all my bait. If you've ever had to clean up the floor of the boat after a catfish has spewed up it's guts, you'll know what I mean. Makes dirty nappies smell like spring flowers. Catfish are no longer welcome in my boat.

Jeff.

uglyfish
12-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Il try post a pick of a big bugger I got in gladdy harbour he was well over the meter mark

Damned67
17-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I ate catfish quite a bit when living in the US. It was typically one of the only fish offered. That said, I believe that they were generally farmed, which likely helped in avoiding the 'muddy' taste. I will say that I didn't mind it at all. Not the best fish ever, but certainly edible.
A little while ago, I caught a nice sized one out near Green Is. Didn't look as 'dirty' as the usual 'creek' catfish, but instinctively tossed it back. Ever since then, I've been claiming to eat (or at least, attempt to) the next decent one I catch. What's the worst thing that can happen if I cook it up and it tastes like garbage? I toss it out and have wasted a fish considered 'vermin'?
Of course, I'll probably only ever do it if I've got nothing else in the esky.