PDA

View Full Version : Adding gunnels to a tinny

Ozwald
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Has anybody added gunnels to a tinny? I've recently acquired a new tinny at an excellent price and I'm beginning to plan some upgrades. Along with re-doing the floor and mounting a trolling motor the boat would really benefit from some gunnels.
In the past I've read through a few threads detailing tinny upgrades but cant recall seeing anybody adding gunnels, any links would be greatly appreciated.
Oz

shano
09-09-2009, 08:40 PM
how wide do you wanna go?

Jarrah Jack
09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I made some long about 140mm wide timber ones for my quinny. I made them so that they could be raised about 200mm from the normal height but have not used that feature yet.

They are great and make you feel a lot safer, especially when leaning over the side to take a leak or net a fish. They cost very little to make yourself. Just use the main lateral frames on the side, in my case two, and attach a home made bracket out of alloy with rivets to suit. Then screw on the timber from underneath. I used secondhand oregon which I remachined. Nice and straight grained. No knots for strength but light and easy to work.

With the wide gunnel you can then add rod holders and other stuff real easy. Even sit on it if you want.

Hope that explains it. I would upload a pic but I think its still a bit beyond my computer abilities.

Horse
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
You can buy alloy extrusions that can be welded on to make flat gunnels. You end up with straight lines internally as you cant bend the stuff

Ozwald
16-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Jack would love to see a pic if you can figure out how to do it.

Shano - just about wide enough to hold some rod holders and have somewhere to hold some LED lights.

Oz

nipsta
16-09-2009, 01:16 PM
i have added them in got a mate who is a fabricator to help he did a good job to there is a tread with it in it http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=143933 check that out

nigelr
16-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey ozwald, sorry 'bout the late reply, I got the local boat builder to put some gunnels on my 4.2 stessco catcher, along with a wavebreaker and a couple other mods, cost a couple of bob but well worth the $ IMHO, made a new boat out of her.
Cheers.

thephotoguru
16-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Oz,

I have added aluminium gunwales to an old 3.9 meter brooker.

Will get some pictures for you on the week end if you like.

They were folded up from aluminium and welded in, the gunnels and the the aluminium flat bars I welded in for the floor have stiffened up the whole boat which makes it feel a lot safer.

It's worth the effort.

Cheers Eamon

LostNearBribie
17-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Mate i would love to see the pics also.
I have a 4.5 Brooker Safari that should have had gunnels, but didn't.
We were so excited to finally get it after 3 months of waiting that we drove off not noticing.
Would love to be able to put some on, I have a mate who could do it if I show him what I want.

nigelr
17-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Pics of the 4.2. I had the crappy bit of ply the engine was mounted on replaced with 6mm plate, a step and rail added to the transom, the console on the rhs fits the radio, the shelf on the lhs is for the sounder. Small bracket top lhs corner for hand-held. All additions 2.5mm plate, bar the gunnel mouldings, tubework and rodholders. Microlen flotation under gunnels.
Cheers.

Ozwald
20-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the info from everyone; apologies for the late reply but we have been distracted by typhoons and floods over here. Had been hoping to play with the boat this weekend but another one on its way
Oz