PDA

View Full Version : Noosacat 1800?

Flex
09-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Anyone had anything to do with these boats?
I believe its the same Hull as the 5m sharkcat sportsman, but they bung a .5m pod on the back to make it into a 5.5m boat.

Anyone have(or been in a ride) a dual pod version? if so what do they ride like? would the 1850 hull be a significantly faster boat and be safer offshore do you think?
would the 1800 even be safe enough for offshore (within reason)?

I have heard the 5.6 and 5m sharkcats were a tad "droopy" in the nose. Since the 1800 is the same hull (I think) would you imagine this being dangerous in a centre console? coping a wave over and into the boat when at anchor?

Thoughts?

Noelm
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
the older sharkcats were 'droopy" but nothing to worry about while anchored, I would reckon in centre console form, it would be a non event, probably never get a wave over the front, I looked at a single engine boat some time back and could not convince myself to ever buy a cat with one engine, never seen a twin engine model you are talking about "in the flesh" only pictures/brochures also not too sure the boat has anywhere near the room an 18' has got, but it would be a good compromise, going offshore will not be a drama, even in shabby conditions!

Flex
09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I really like the idea of a centre console cat, tons and tons of room. and far more versatile to fish from than a cabin. Plus cuts down on weight and cost a bit.
The 18' is just to heavy to tow long distance(and no CC's anywhere i can find). Really need a rig that weighs under 2 tonne I feel if your gunna tow it far and and wide.

Unfortunately there are hardly any centre console cats made. The 1850 model would be good in a CC I feel, but as far as I know, the 1800 noosacat is the only CC cat thats being made.

finding_time
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Cairns custom craft do a ally cat in a centre consol version Flex!

kitty_cat
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
i might know of a 1900 kc centre console for sale but is amaculate and priced to suit ally trailer 4 stroke yammies ect last i heard $60kish but really is as new condition pm me if interested.(not sure if still for sale but not to hard to find out)

wayne

Crocodile
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Webster Twinfisher make a 5.2 CC.
I have a 4.3, it is really very good, have a look at this.
http://www.websterstwinfisher.com.au/site/index.cfm?display=130877

John Buoy
09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Have you checked out this one ?

http://www.boatlocator.com.au/boats/14092

Regards Frank

Flex
09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah thats a single pod,
Almost pointless getting a cat with 1 engine.
I'd be looking at a dual pod

Vromme
16-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Howdy Flex,

Looks like you have pretty much the same idea and reasons for wanting one of these boats as me. I have been reading up as much as I can about them. There seems to be very few of them around (with twin motors that is).

I think it ticks all the boxes for my requirements and am not sure why they are not more popular.
- Fishing reasonably close (1 -10 ks outside).
- As small as possible for towing/storing/fuel economy/handling/dodgy ramp launches/handling by myself etc etc
- As safe as possible
- As soft ride as possible
- Maximum fishing room
- No extra comforts necessary
- Centre console preferably if not small cab (bunks not necessary)
- Glass (no more tin for me)

I would guess the only reason they are not common is due to the cost. By the time you spec a new one out new with twins, fuel tanks etc they seem to end up quite pricey. For me I would find it hard to justify that much coin on what is essentially a small boat. Mind you if I had the $ to spare I probably wouldn’t mind as it seems to cover everything I want.

Does anybody know any negatives about these boats (apart from cost)?

I would be very interested in hearing about what you end up with - especially if it is one of these boats or similar.

Cheers

Roger

Noelm
16-09-2009, 09:13 AM
all boats have negatives, but you need to add all the positives and weigh them against the negatives, one big negative I can see with a single engine cat is quite simple, but over looked, a cat needs the trim set right to perform best, because the motors are on each "corner" with a single engine this is not possible, I have yet to see a single engine cat that performs even half as good as a twin engine one, but I also have yet to see one of the models he is talking about with twin engines, so they must be pretty rare!

finding_time
16-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Roger

Mate i think you may be underestimating the REAL size of a NC1800, dont go by it's lenght alone. My 5.2 kc is a little bigger( not that much) and i have no issues taking it 60 nm offshore and doing 3 day trips out of it, this may not be everyones cup of tea but i can assure you a 1800NC is far more capable than being limited to 10kms offshore and with experience runs to the barwaon banks 45kms and beyond will be very doable in this rig! I'll also second what Noel said about , single engined cats, you loose to much , but there are some 2 engined 1800 Nc about , i know of at least 2 on the sunshine coast and they run well!

Ian

Vromme
16-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree with the comments re single engine, personally would prefer to pay extra for twins.
I am sure they are very capable and able to go out to the shelf etc (assuming conditions/forecast etc okay). This is just not one of my personal requirements. About 10ks out is all I really find myself going (still often over 20ks travelling distance north or south).

They look like a great little boat for my requirements all in all, it’s a shame they don’t seem to be more popular for 2nd hand availability.

Flex
16-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Howdy Flex,

Looks like you have pretty much the same idea and reasons for wanting one of these boats as me. I have been reading up as much as I can about them. There seems to be very few of them around (with twin motors that is).

I think it ticks all the boxes for my requirements and am not sure why they are not more popular.
- Fishing reasonably close (1 -10 ks outside).
- As small as possible for towing/storing/fuel economy/handling/dodgy ramp launches/handling by myself etc etc
- As safe as possible
- As soft ride as possible
- Maximum fishing room
- No extra comforts necessary
- Centre console preferably if not small cab (bunks not necessary)
- Glass (no more tin for me)

I would guess the only reason they are not common is due to the cost. By the time you spec a new one out new with twins, fuel tanks etc they seem to end up quite pricey. For me I would find it hard to justify that much coin on what is essentially a small boat. Mind you if I had the $ to spare I probably wouldn’t mind as it seems to cover everything I want.

Does anybody know any negatives about these boats (apart from cost)?

I would be very interested in hearing about what you end up with - especially if it is one of these boats or similar.

Cheers

Roger

In terms of the Ultimate pure fishing rig, I cannot see a better setup than a CC cat.
I have no idea why more of em aren't around? My belief is cats have a rep of being able to punch out across bars etc in nasty conditions and a CC wouldn't be quite as safe as a cab.
But up where I live, no bars at all and no massive swells.

As mentioned earlier, I think you'd be surprised on how big the 1800 is. Its a 5.5m boat, which would go anywhere offshore you wanted it to I would assume?. And faster than most 6m+ mono's. And I'd feel safer due to 2 engines,2 fuel tanks and being unsinkable.

Also the price isn't that constrictive with the 1800. Even running twin engines you come in under $50k. even cheaper if you fit out electrics yourself etc.
-Its big enough for offshore fishing, I assume?.(though I have never been in one so no idea how they ride?)
- small enough to fish estuaries with ease
- Very easy to tow where ever you like
- Safer than any other 5.5m boat on the market at roughly the same price.
- travel twice as fast as equivalent mono
-Trailer is more expensive though aswell as servicing.

But from my limited Cat experience, to get the same performance as a 5.5m Cat, you'd need a 6m+ boat so really the price isn't that much more.

Im really keen to see how these things ride In comparison to other cats? say compared to the 5.2 KC? which is insanely overpriced IMO. I've only ever been in a 6.2KC
-

finding_time
16-09-2009, 03:56 PM
In terms of the Ultimate pure fishing rig, I cannot see a better setup than a CC cat.
I have no idea why more of em aren't around? -

Flex
I know why there aren't more CC cats around and so would most cat owners;) They simply burp to much water out the front when they land, I sometimes drive with the clears rolled up but more and more they just stay zipped up till the spread goes out and trolling starts!

I know you think there would be more fishing room in a cc version but you'll find the cuddy cabin has plenty of fishing space really and there heaps more comfortable to ride in. I've also put a few greenies over the front around 1770 and that amount of water going straight into the boat while not dangerous would sure wet some gear! The cab is also great for protecting you gear from the elements!

Ian

Flex
16-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Hmm, I never thought of that.

I dont have a great deal of experience in cats, though every time I've been out in my mates 6m Kevla CC I can honestly say if any water comes over the front its a very small and fine amount of water. And has to be very rough to do so.

But I know all boats are different, I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who has been in the 1800 to see how wet they are?

The reason I like the CC is I love chasing Pelagics and spend most my time throwing lures, so a Cab annoys the hell out of me and really restrics luring to 2 people in a cab, where 4 people can throw poppers all day in a CC without any drama's

finding_time
16-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Flex

Mate its no issue chasing schools around throwing poppers at all you just go backwards at the school, cats go backwards real nice , do use the helm just the motors! Back in towards the reef edge throw your lures and if you hook up your facing the right direction to drag the GT/ Trout away from the structure!

Ian

airlock
14-07-2015, 02:41 PM
It looks like you're looking into similar boats as me. Theres a really nice shark cat 500 sport cab reconditioned with good motor's for around 20k on boat sales at the moment, looks like a whole heap of room even in cuddy cab form and that should reduce the tunnel sneeze i've heard the smaller shark and noosa cat models suffer from.
I haven't seen anything other then the webster and Markum whaler things in centre cab for a realistic price and while both would happily manage 1-10nm outside in good conditions you would probably not get nearly as much usability out of them then the twin motor models in Cuddy cab.

From my research so far even the smaller noosa and shark cats are extremely capable offshore rigs while also working in rivers and shallow water well too, its just a matter or getting the weight balance before setting off and adjusting trim to suit the conditions, The droopy nose at rest doesn't seem to have many issues when anchored and there is good evidence that this can be helped on the move by trimming the motors out a little further then you otherwise might.

The Black Unicorn
14-07-2015, 04:42 PM
I reckon he might have found one by now!

airlock
14-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Haha, whoops didn't see the date, for some reason it pooped up at the top of my feed and seemed so very relevant. must have been got the boat page and a search page mixed up. then again its so hard to find the right boat maybe the poor bugger is still looking.

tjotter
15-07-2015, 10:26 PM
just in case he is still looking
http://www.alloycats.co.nz/our-boats/kingfisher-cats/kingfishercat-575-centre-console/