PDA

View Full Version : Small tinny manufacturer

Scott nthQld
09-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Lately I've been looking at getting a small tinny around the 12ft mark to getting up the shallow creeks and impoundments of NQ. I am after a v-nose punt for stability over a conventional 'v' hull.

So far I've looked at the following brands:

Quintrex
Stacer
Seajay
Makocraft
Stessl
Clark
Bluefin
Savage
Stessco (now in Administration I've read here?)
Bermuda

So far, the Seajay nomad 3.7 is the pick, but the Makocraft 380 estuary tracker is up there too. both have dealers local to me, though I am willing to travel as far as Cairns to the north, and Mackay South if the dollars saved will be worth the trip.

I've looked at several second hand options locally, but in most cases, for an extra 500-1000 I can have one off the showroom floor and set it up exactly how I want without having to work around anything any previous owners have done.

I gave quintrex and stacer a miss becasue well frankly, I don't trust a couple of rivets in the hull to hold the thwarts in place. And I think eventually the rough roads and vibration will cause them to rattle loose and then i have a 12ft long watering can.

Can anyone think of any other manfacturers that would be worth a look?

ideally I'm after something in a v-nose hull, with a couple of thwarts that i will build casting decks and storage compartments around out of alloy frame and ply

Scott nthQld
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh, I've also checked out brooker, but in that size I'd prefer the sides to be a little higher than 450mm.

STUIE63
09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Scott these are the ones I can think of
http://4seasonsboats.com/vnose.htm
http://www.seascapeboats.com.au/page/boat_range/20_Viper/40_4.0_Viper.html
http://www.allycraft.com.au/Showroom.html
http://www.horizonboats.com.au/boats/default.asp
Stuie

Scott nthQld
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks Stuie, how could I have forgotten allycraft, only one of the mos known names in the biz

Noelm
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I have had a Quintrex Explorer for quite a while now (the earlier model) and while it is OK, I reckon I wish I had of spent the few extra dollars and got wide side decks put on it, just so much better to be able to sit on the side, or put in rod holders and stuff, the boat itself is OK, a bit roughly built, and rides like sh!t in any sort of chop, but as a crabber and lake fishing boat it has been good with a 20HP on it. I put a flat floor in myself and carpeted it. But I reckon there must be a dozen better boats these days, just think about the side decks before you jump in.

Scott nthQld
09-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Noel, I have looked at just about every setup I could think of, including with/without side decks. Basically, it will only be used as a crabber and lurecasting boat, with very little sitting down, with the very occassional trip across the Bay to Magnetic Island on dead flat calm days to fish the shallows over there (about 8km from the ramp).

I'm after something small for the creeks so I don't have to compromise on a larger boat purchase later on.

BGG
09-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Scott, If you're looking for super stability and toughness, maybe have a look at a Polycraft. The 4.1 metre Challenger is heavier than any tinny but you do gain unsinkability and toughness beyond belief. You'll also get the front casting deck and quietness for creek fishing.
Have a look at http://www.polycraft.com.au/410_open_boat.php

spelchek
09-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I've looked at several second hand options locally, but in most cases, for an extra 500-1000 I can have one off the showroom floor and set it up exactly how I want without having to work around anything any previous owners have done.

You said it. I've been looking myself (ally craft fish mate is high on the 'maybe list' at present). Its rediculous what some (most) people have on their secondhand boats at the moment.

Scott nthQld
10-09-2009, 11:11 AM
BGG, A poly was my first stop, but I thought the 3m tuff tender too small and the 410 too big and heavy. The water I will be trying to cross will be as shallow as a foot at times.

something around 4m will be the limit.

Spelchek, you should see 2 boats I looked at on Monday arvo. One was a brooker tinny with 96 johno, bloke wanted 6k, I had one look and found the transome/bottom sheet wled had a dirty big ding and crack, obviously dropped onto a slab on concrete somewhere along the line. Another was one of the big 2, more reasonably priced at 3.5k, then I found out why, I spotted a tiny little hole in the bottom of the hull, got my brother to grab a torch and get underneath and shine it up onto the bottom and counted another 20 holes, talk about expensive friggin watering cans, this one was only a couple of years old

Peter4
10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Scott,

We have a Horizon Stalker 400 (4m). It is a shallow draft V-nose that we use for bay, estuary and impoundment fishing. It is a heavy duty tinny, so a little heavier, but solidly built.

We love it. I have attached a pic....

Regs

Pete

tin can marlin
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I think you should look at the stessco range they have got a few issues at the moment but we should support them anyway we can.

Scott nthQld
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM
thanks tcm, I did take a good look at stessco, and besides the administration part (I'm all for supporting a local manufacturer), I found the 2 hulls that could've suited, the 375 tripper and 395 Bass tracker didn't suit what I was after. The 375 I feel doesn't allow for enough horsepower on the back to be able to push 2 blokes plus gear, deep cycle batt's, plus ample ply flooring, under floor storage etc. Overall, once I'm through, my little tinny, is likely to at least double in weight. The 395 however has higher sides, as as much as I think high sides are important on some boats, with the application I will be using it, factoring in my weight and ability to fall over on solid ground the end result would be casting decks to high and would bring the centre of gravity too high as well, If I leave them lower, I feel it will be uncomfortable and aawkward when casting/retreiving lures.

On a lower note though, even though i do agree that they need support, I won't be handing any money over until the boat is on the dealer's floor, not many dealerships would go for that, but I'm not about to hand over my hard earned and get nothing out of it, i I was rich anough to do that, I'd just fill the ute up with bills and drive down the highway at 100 clicks.

nickstock
10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Scott what is yor budget?

Viper makes an awesome litle 395 Barra punt. I have had a few small 'name' brand boats, all of which were little flimsy buckets of puss.

If the budget allows, go the Viper for quality. If you make the mistake and buy an ally craft, stacer and quintrex like I did, then you will be spewing later on.

Nick

nickstock
10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
This is the little 3.95. Packages with a 30 Merc BMT are around the 7000 mark I think?

Scott nthQld
10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
is that the seasscape viper? I really liked that ones, but it being 2.5mm 'plate' I was expecting a big price diiference and was expecting it to be above budget.

And of course i forgot to put it down, and is possibly the most important thing when considering options, especially when asking other for advice.

My budget is 8k for BMT, everything else will come as I use the boat (sounder, electric, etc)

Do you have any contacts for the viper? Paint is a non issue for me, infact I'd rather it be un painted, won't see any scratches then.

tin can marlin
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
is that the seasscape viper? I really liked that ones, but it being 2.5mm 'plate' I was expecting a big price diiference and was expecting it to be above budget.

And of course i forgot to put it down, and is possibly the most important thing when considering options, especially when asking other for advice.

My budget is 8k for BMT, everything else will come as I use the boat (sounder, electric, etc)

Do you have any contacts for the viper? Paint is a non issue for me, infact I'd rather it be un painted, won't see any scratches then.
Scott you will find that Viper is it's own small boat builder down the gold coast. Well worth the look the guy that owns it was the forum at Tabs for years so he knows how to build a boat.

nickstock
10-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Like TCM said,

Viper is a custom builder from the Gold Coast. Un painted BMT package including the freight up to Townsville would come in similar to any of the bulk built coke cans. The only difference is the build quality and you will get a boat that lasts. If you were looking at spending 2 grand on a 15 year old second hand boat then you can't expect to much. In your case, where you have 8K to spend, why not buy something that will last?

He is building me a 5.5 plate centre cab at the moment. I am picking it up in the next week so I could drop in to Townsville on the way home and show you his work if your interested?

Give him a call on 0405710846 and ask for a quote and some photos of his work.

Cheers,
Nick

dogsbody
10-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Pretty sure the Viper owner is a member here.

Dave

Scott nthQld
10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Like TCM said,

Viper is a custom builder from the Gold Coast. Un painted BMT package including the freight up to Townsville would come in similar to any of the bulk built coke cans. The only difference is the build quality and you will get a boat that lasts. If you were looking at spending 2 grand on a 15 year old second hand boat then you can't expect to much. In your case, where you have 8K to spend, why not buy something that will last?

He is building me a 5.5 plate centre cab at the moment. I am picking it up in the next week so I could drop in to Townsville on the way home and show you his work if your interested?

Give him a call on 0405710846 and ask for a quote and some photos of his work.

Cheers,
Nick

I've only been looking at boats around my budget because I know exactly what to expect if I was to go looking for something cheap and nasty, I have in mind what I'm after, but am reasonable about 2nd handies, the ones I have looked at lately though haven't been worth the value of the alloy if you were to scrap it, and the seller's were still wanting way too much, such as the examples I supplied earlier. the 3.5k one that was listed, I rang the bloke to check the price and hull year etc was correct, it was and I thought it was too good to be true, turns out I was right and it was. Other than this one I haven't looked at anything less than 5k, expecting a few knocks, but not the appalling condition they have been in so far, like I said for 500-1000 more, I can have the same brand and model off the showroom floor.

If you could drop in that would be great, I'd really like to check it out, and I'll also give him a call and have a yarn to him about it. I don't mind taking a drive down, its only a day and a half (or one day with 2 drivers) to collect either to save a few more dollars, but that of course depends on what it would cost to freight it to Townsville and whether or not it would be worth my while in doing so.

pedrodepacus
11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Scott you will find that Viper is it's own small boat builder down the gold coast. Well worth the look the guy that owns it was the forum at Tabs for years so he knows how to build a boat.
thats not correct tcm i was the foreman at horizon boats ive never worked for tabs boats and or had any association with them
my workshop number is 0755 611 455 my mobile is somewhere in the broadwater
cheers phil