PDA

View Full Version : need advice 175 opti or etec

DAN-SK
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
looking for pros and cons. to go on a 5.9 victory seafarer mainly fishing offshore 50s going through the pin bar. which would be better suited for purpose. also looking 4 any info good or bad on both motors. thanks in advance;)

Jabba_
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Both good motors,
Opti is much noisier, but uses a bit less fuel, uses more oil, and dealer serviced every 100hr,, 3+2 year decining warranty

E-tec is quieter, uses less oil, (but is $3/ltr dearer), dealer service is 300hrs, and I think you can get a 7 year full manufactures non declining warranty..
But if your going to be doing a lot off trolling the E-tec is go.. Less fumey, and uses less fuel trolling...

STUIE63
08-09-2009, 11:24 PM
whichever the best dealer in your area is , is the motor to get
Stuie

siegfried
09-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Have a good look at both of em and try and get a good deal on a Yamaha or suzuki 150 4 stk youll enjoy it more and if you need/want/have to sell it itll be worth more than 50c a kilo;D

mr ed
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
With out getting into the usual debate on "which is the best engine" (everyone wants something different and it comes down to personal opinion, I spoke to a bloke a couple of months back and he just replaced twin 140hp Suzukis with twin 175hp Etecs and said he only noticed a difference of about two knots top end.

kokomo
09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
With out getting into the usual debate on "which is the best engine" (everyone wants something different and it comes down to personal opinion, I spoke to a bloke a couple of months back and he just replaced twin 140hp Suzukis with twin 175hp Etecs and said he only noticed a difference of about two knots top end.

he most likley has the wrong props.

its annoying the people constantly tell stories of their 'mate' that has not done a correct scientific test, and try to sell it to us as fact of proof.

Dicko
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Have a good look at both of em and try and get a good deal on a Yamaha or suzuki 150 4 stk youll enjoy it more and if you need/want/have to sell it itll be worth more than 50c a kilo;D

People like you should turn your computer off, or at least learn to read.

He's narrowed down what he wants and is asking for an opinion on 2 different 175 2 strokes, if he wanted info on a yammy or suzuki 150 4 stroke I'm sure that's what he would have asked for.

As for the question, I just researched this heavily and ended up with a 175 opti due to the dealer preference, but would have no problem buying an etec either if it suited. No real world stuff to report yet as it's still sitting in a box. lol

You see a few probs with the opti, as you do with the others but by and large they're pretty well sorted in the last 5 or 6 years.

Some good info on the US boating forums as there's heaps of opti uses over there.

Vitamin Sea
09-09-2009, 10:17 AM
People like you should turn your computer off, or at least learn to read.

He's narrowed down what he wants and is asking for an opinion on 2 different 175 2 strokes, if he wanted info on a yammy or suzuki 150 4 stroke I'm sure that's what he would have asked for.

As for the question, I just researched this heavily and ended up with a 175 opti due to the dealer preference, but would have no problem buying an etec either if it suited. No real world stuff to report yet as it's still sitting in a box. lol

You see a few probs with the opti, as you do with the others but by and large they're pretty well sorted in the last 5 or 6 years.

Some good info on the US boating forums as there's heaps of opti uses over there.

Sigfried hates ETEC's nearly as much as he hates Opti's;D ;D

Dan, either motor probably ok, my preference would probably be the opti, as it has been "sorted" out over many years.

Would use less fuel than the etec, even on the troll, contrary to jabbas thoughts.
The ETEC would probably be quieter, not sure with that size merc ( 2.5 litre )
Not so sure about the "fumey" comment about the opti either, not something I've experienced.

Won't enter into the servicing debate.

Cheers

Bill

siegfried
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Its not a matter of hating anything, its an open forum where ideas and opinions can be freely exchanged(isnt it) a bit of money will be spent by this bloke and I hope all goes well for him. Now Dicko dont sook because my opinion is different and after 1500 hrs I hope the opti is still going as good as the day you got it. Keep an eye on the belts and alternator bolts you know real world stuff.;D

Noelm
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
uh oh, I see a sh!t storm brewing!

Dicko
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Its not a matter of hating anything, its an open forum where ideas and opinions can be freely exchanged(isnt it) a bit of money will be spent by this bloke and I hope all goes well for him. Now Dicko dont sook because my opinion is different and after 1500 hrs I hope the opti is still going as good as the day you got it. Keep an eye on the belts and alternator bolts you know real world stuff.;D

I'm far from sooking. Just bemused that some people (like yourself) haven't mastered the basics of reading a question before answering. Do you go somewhere and order a steak and expect chicken ? lol.

As far as the opti goes, I've scoured many reports, including yours, sure time will tell whether it's the right choice. I don't pretend otherwise. I also didn't pretend to offer any real world info, as it's still in a box....... I could left that part out and just rambled on about it not causing an ounce of trouble in all the time I've owned it, which would also be factually correct, even though misleading. :)

My first choice would have been a TLDI tohatsu if they came in the larger sizes, a few bad stories of them around too, but that's heading in another direction. :)

scorpionNQ
09-09-2009, 12:54 PM
With this comparo, I think Stuie is about right. Best price and dealer service. I have had an E-tec and had no probs, although the 3 year service is a crock of crap. Investing this much coin and the distance I do I still had mine serviced annually for reliability and piece of mind. So in saying that, not much in service costs between the two.

I have just repowered my boat with an Opti, and like Dicko, have done plenty of research. I would have bought another E-tec, but in this instance they were $1500 dearer with a similar 5 year warrenty (7 year warrenty used to be in the States, but I believe they only have 3 now?)

The E-tec is slightly quiter, overall fuel usage will be negligable, and as always will depend on hull, sea conditions and how you drive it. It is that close that some will say Opti, some E-tec! As for fumes, every now and again I could smell the E-tec (minimal) and with the Opti, even the run in period (first 3 hours more oil) was only minimal- so not much in it there either.

The early opti's did have a alternator bolt issue which has been long resolved. There can be an issue with the alternator belt shredding (apperantly) which will shut the engine down, however a few Opti owners have informed me they take a spare belt and the appropriate spanner in there tool kit.

What appealed to me was that Mercury were doing extensive testing with the Opti's in the mid 90's before being put on the market, so they are proven and have had various improvements over time. Also the smart craft gauges are a nice bit of kit.

These are my own personal views and experiences only, and I haven't had the Opti long enough to offer any more info. But I am certainly happy with my choice and deal and sevice from the Mercury dealer.

Bottom line- Both great engines, in comparing apples with apples, not much different at the end of the day. All brands have horror stories.
For me, best deal and sevice.
Cheers
Lee

mickpg
09-09-2009, 04:56 PM
The choice is easy, you find the best mechanic in your area and buy what he's selling.8-)

mr ed
09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
he most likley has the wrong props.

its annoying the people constantly tell stories of their 'mate' that has not done a correct scientific test, and try to sell it to us as fact of proof.

It wasn,t a 'mate' just a fellow at the boat ramp. He was the owner of the boat which had one set of engines fitted by the builder of the boat and had them replaced by a dealer. I asked him the same question and apparently the dealer had test run the boat so I would hope they would try different props in order to give the customer the best option. Again just sharing information given, not looking for an attack.

Skusto
09-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Both good motors,
Opti is much noisier, but uses a bit less fuel, uses more oil, and dealer serviced every 100hr,, 3+2 year decining warranty

E-tec is quieter, uses less oil, (but is $3/ltr dearer), dealer service is 300hrs, and I think you can get a 7 year full manufactures non declining warranty..
But if your going to be doing a lot off trolling the E-tec is go.. Less fumey, and uses less fuel trolling...

ours is 5 plus 2 year jabba sorry but the extra 2 is a full manafacture warrenty just through a differnt mob tho. . so 5 year for the etec non declining from the manufacture.

Jabba_
09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Sigfried hates ETEC's nearly as much as he hates Opti's;D ;D

Dan, either motor probably ok, my preference would probably be the opti, as it has been "sorted" out over many years.

Would use less fuel than the etec, even on the troll, contrary to jabbas thoughts.
The ETEC would probably be quieter, not sure with that size merc ( 2.5 litre )
Not so sure about the "fumey" comment about the opti either, not something I've experienced.

Won't enter into the servicing debate.

Cheers

Bill
My comment about the Opti being a little more fumey the the E-tec should not be taken the wrong way..... Both motors use little oil, but the Opti will use a bit more,,, With that said, the smell from the Opti is a little stronger then the E-tec, well thats the experiance I've had on my friends pursuit with a 115 Opti...

On the subject off fumes.... Niether the Opti or the E-tec are any worse then any Yamaha or Suzuki fumes, and I go out a fair bit in Yamaha powered rigs... The smell is different, but not stronger or harsher,,, and at idle the E-tec smells the same as a 4st motor as the oil to fuel ratio is around 350/1,,, that is virturly raw fuel..

seahound
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I've got a 115 opti and they do have a bit of a smell. Also had a work boat with twin 225's and they had 'the smell' too.
I reckon it must be the oil coz have run a 50 TLDI Tohie on XD50 and Opti oil (after advice that thos OK)...it smelt different on the opti oil. Its definitely more of a noticble odour than the XD50 or 100.

As for the XD100 / ETEC oil...it doesnt seem to smell when burnt...

As for the question...well the ETEC's quieter (only experienced with 90's and 250's) at idle than opti. But when cruising...? Both about the same. ETEC produces a lower note I reckon so less intrusive.

They both good engines - so go with the best dealer. Most seem pretty happy with the ETEC - except for the price of the oil. On that....try to get a heap of oil thrown in with the purchase. 20l is $300...

Jabba_
10-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Depending where you live, the price off XD100 is different... Here on the Gold Coast, at Paridise Point Marine you can get your XD100 for $65 a gallon and $250 for a 20ltr which last me a bit over 100hrs... 20ltr would have to last near 150hrs in a 175hp, pending on boat though.....

siegfried
10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Thats a lot of moneys worth of oil for a lousy hundred hours,( I wouldnt like a cat or a formula with 2 of the bloody things) my poptimax wasnt 200+ hp but it didnt use enough oil to frighten me.

Jabba_
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
What do you smoke down in cretinsville,,, 100hr service worth on a 250hp, $450 - $550.. Mine cost $500 for a 300hr service,,, plus 3 x $250 in oil... How is that so much worse then handing over $500 every 100hrs

Say my 250 uses 20lt/hr as a average,, over 100hrs, that 2000ltrs... That works out at 100/1 oil ratio.. My last drum off oil lasted a bit more then 100hrs,, 104 or 107 IRC...

Noelm
11-09-2009, 06:17 AM
I think you may be forgetting that almost all 4 strokes require an oil change at 50 hours, or 1 year not 100, only a couple are 100 hours.

ozscott
11-09-2009, 06:30 AM
I dont pretend to know much about the ETEC - only what I have read and I have been in a boat with one recently and talked to some owners including the owner of that boat. I recently spoke to another bloke who bagged his ETEC because of ongoing electronics issues with the motor, but if true name me a motor type that hasnt had some dramas, especially early on - the Optis certainly did. The boat that I sent in had a 3 cyl ETEC and it was excellent and no oil smoke at all, except backing down and then more than acceptable to me - quiet, powerful, smooth.

I think overall the ETEC is a slicker design (and it would want to be - newer and needs to compete against the Opti) than the Opti, but overall I am more so swayed by the fact that my trusted mechanic (not local to me either) is Wondall Rd Marine so for me, when the 93 Yam V4 has had its day, which could well be a long time down the road the ways its performing, I will probably go with Merc Opti.

Cheers

PS. The rambling message distilled is - they are so close I would go with the mechanics you trust.

OPTI
11-09-2009, 06:55 AM
im putting twin opti,s on my boat,better parts back up, cheaper parts and arguably a better engine imop.;)

DAN-SK
11-09-2009, 03:03 PM
thanks 4 all the great replys, time to get quotes see where that leeds us

siegfried
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
What do you smoke down in cretinsville,,, 100hr service worth on a 250hp, $450 - $550.. Mine cost $500 for a 300hr service,,, plus 3 x $250 in oil... How is that so much worse then handing over $500 every 100hrs

Say my 250 uses 20lt/hr as a average,, over 100hrs, that 2000ltrs... That works out at 100/1 oil ratio.. My last drum off oil lasted a bit more then 100hrs,, 104 or 107 IRC...
cretinsville...classic jabbawocky,what a sook;D ;D ;D admit it mate they suck then again I suppose you know more about motors and do more hours then commercial fullas...go join the circus mate ,your well and truly qualified:-*