PDA

View Full Version : What fuel do you use?

Kleyny
08-09-2009, 04:11 PM
As the title says what fuel is everyone running for their 2 strokers? Standard ULP, 95 or 98?

Would also like to know what fuel company you buy it from. BP, Mobil, caltex, shell.

I used to drain my fule after each trip but now i have a shed I'm going to keep the fuel in her.

I used to buy just ULP from Mobil, but if 95 or 98 has decent benefits I'll bump it up.

thanks

neil

Chimo
08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Your book, like mine probably says ULP and thats what I use.

If you live close to me on the Gold Coast you should continue to drain your tank after each trip. PM me for details about where to deliver your waste fuel for me to dispose of for you.

I think you need to buy fuel from outlets that dont sell E 10 etc if you can find them.

Also it is probably better to stick to the majors as it has been claimed that some of the cheaper fuels are not always up to spec. Dont know if thats true but I'm sure someone on here with have some thoughts.

Dont forget to PM for delivery details!!!!

Cheers
Chimo

Kleyny
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM

If you live close to me on the Gold Coast you should continue to drain your tank after each trip. PM me for details about where to deliver your waste fuel for me to dispose of for you.

I think you need to buy fuel from outlets that dont sell E 10 etc if you can find them.

Also it is probably better to stick to the majors as it has been claimed that some of the cheaper fuels are not always up to spec. Dont know if thats true but I'm sure someone on here with have some thoughts.

Cheers
Chimo

The "waste" fuel goes into my 4B. I cant remember the last time i put fuel in it.;)

Yeh wouldn't use E10 in my lawnmower net alone in my boat.

I have been told that the higher octane fuel makes them a little smoother and easier to start.

neil

FNQCairns
08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
BP standard unleaded, largely because it's on my way, have heard rumours any fuel can be adulterated with ethanol lawfully without warning but have also heard there is not enough ethanol to actually service the fuel that is sold as ethanol blend....one just thows their hands up...again!!

cheers fnq

cehart
08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I use standard unleaded, but if its sits there a tad too long rather than using it as weed killer I'll mix in a couple of litres of prem 98.

whatscracken
08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I use BP 95 unleaded for a two stroke 40HP. Can't say I've ever had a problem.

Kero
08-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Normal old Mobil unleaded for me... it's just up the road;) .
I've never had any problems with it, and the motor still puts out heaps of grunt.
I'de never put any ethanol blend in the boat. I've tried it in the car & ute but it seems to lack power and economy... back to the regular stuff!

Kero
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
You can drop off all othe "waste" fuel at my place if you like (I'll save you on all of those disposal fees ;D ).

Mrs Ronnie H
08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Guys
I started a thread about our local servo offering nothing other than E10 fuel.

I contacted RACQ and also my car manufacturer. The advice i got was bot to use it if it is not reccommended for your vehicle or boat.
Go to Shell, Woolies etc and get your fuel. They are going to continue to stock regular unleaded petrol.

The advice i was given is that if you don't use all the petrol you cannot let it sit as you do with regular unleaded fuel, apparently it separates and you end up with water etc on the bottom of your tank and of course as soon as you start the engine it is water pumping directly into the motor. Also have you heard that E10 as I have heard can actually cause a plastic fuel tank to break down.

I will also mention that when i questioned the local servo as to the use of E10 in my car they told me it was perfectly ok to use and that major fuel suppliers have been adding at least 5% of ethanol to their regular unleaded anyway. Point is according to them to make a sale I can safely use it in my car.

Ronnie

eugah
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
In my Opti I have always used Premium ULp in either 95 or preferably 98 if i can get it. I just fill up my tank before i go. Premium doesn't seem to go stale as easy as normal ulp.

Mechanics have told me to use premium in any fuel injected vehicle because it burns cleaner & the is less chance of fouling an injector.

Adrian

Jabba_
08-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I have soley used ULP, and the motor runs fine... My last 2 trips I have topped the tank with 95 pulp.. Not enough in the tank yet to notice any difference... But I will continue for a few months to see if my motor runs better on PULP then on ULP..

I buy my fuel for any servo that doen not sell E10...

Suntzu
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Octane is ping resistance not energy density. in fact as I understand it the 91 ron is more explosive and better powerwise for low compression engines. In my highly strung rotax 125 cc 2 stroke karting engine the 91 ron went hard.

The reason 98 is better is because its just cleaner and more carefully produced and therefore more consistent. Not more powerful.!

martinies
28-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I always use BP Ultimate or Mobile 98 in the etec. These are the only one I know that aren't mixed with ethanol.

I would stay away from Shell fuels, they contain so much detergents its not even funny anymore. This is the only fuel that some bike manufacturer's (namely honda) would void their warranty, apparently the detergents strip away the lubricants on the 2 stokes.

bigjimg
28-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I use caltex/woolies premium 95 only.No other brand.Jim

trymyluck
28-09-2009, 06:21 PM
The stuff that is now costing a bloody fortune.:o:o

Try to stay away from e10 but just use the standard ulp, just have to go fishing more often. Thats the excuse i use with the Missus.;D;D;D

Mark

billfisher
28-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I use 91 ULP but ethanol free, I don't think there is any advantage with high octane. E10 is fine for the car. If I am worried about octane drop with old fuel I will dilute it with fresh 91 ULP or sometimes use an octane booster additive.

Blusta
28-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Use ULP95 usually in an Optimax. No isues so far. Would never consider using Ethanol in my boat. Used ethanol in my Jackaroo for a while then started having idle/ stalling issues until I refilled with 98 octane for a while and have never had probs since. Took months for the sweet sugary smell to go as I refilled each time.

White Pointer
28-09-2009, 08:58 PM
G'day,

I've got two 4-strokes - a Mercury 3.5HP and a Suzuki 175HP. Both are run on 98 octane BP (Ultimate) or Caltex (Vortex). I'm not looking for any power advantage. Its just that they are both ethanol free and very clean fuels.

Regards,

White Pointer

Crocodile
28-09-2009, 09:09 PM
The whole thing with ethanol in petrol is to buy votes in the cane towns to prop up an ailing sugar industry.
You and I subsidise cane farmers by ruining our motors.
It has nothing to do with reducing GH gases, by the time you burn the diesel to drive the tractors etc it probably creates more GH gases.
The good news for us is that suger is at a high price this year so we will probably run short of ethanol petrol.
When the price of sugar falls we will hear all about ethanol again.

Crocodile
28-09-2009, 09:12 PM
If you don't believe me have a look at this propaganda site.
http://www.industry.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/v4/apps/web/content.cfm?id=7567

White Pointer
01-10-2009, 10:30 PM
The whole thing with ethanol in petrol is to buy votes in the cane towns to prop up an ailing sugar industry.
You and I subsidise cane farmers by ruining our motors.
It has nothing to do with reducing GH gases, by the time you burn the diesel to drive the tractors etc it probably creates more GH gases.
The good news for us is that suger is at a high price this year so we will probably run short of ethanol petrol.
When the price of sugar falls we will hear all about ethanol again.

G'day,

I don't want to start WW3 over ethanol BUT:

Its calorific value is different to oil based petroleum and therefore you burn more to get the same power. So its not particularly energy efficient in the engines in our cars. It could be if manufacturers were allowed to build one engine to meet one fuel standard but we keep adding more sauce to achieve political agendas - not environmental ones.

Sugar is a lazy crop compared to market gardens for vegetables and fruits. The use of sugar to produce ethanol was original proposed as a waste recycling project. It is a tradegy, that the price oil companies were prepared to pay for crops that offered a high ethanol yield, was greater that the price for the same crops as food.

Sugar is planted on some of the most fertile coastal soil in this country that could produce much higher yields of essential foods. Sugar is a "third world" crop. It is a good starting point for giving starving countries something they can grow and sell at relatively low cost and earn an income that gets them off international welfare.

It is utterly insane that productive land is not used to potential to grow food to feed the starving millions in this world. It is equally insane that corn in the USA is diverted to ethanol production because the price yield is better than feeding an African country.

We are not being served by ethanol. We are being corrupted by it.

White Pointer

ThePinkPanther
01-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Unleaded pouring down the throat of twin barrel Holly's in my 5.8 L OMC Cobra Inboard V8. :thumbsup:

Yeh Baby, way to go! :2vrolijk_08:

Especially at 35 L/hr!!! :helpa: