PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce general soreness???

coraltrout68
07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

Have just had a couple of days fishing out of Turkey Beach (will post a report), its been almost a year since i've been fishing offshore - we fished about 40 kilometers offshore.

My Father-in-Law has a 6 metre fibreglass boat (Cruisecraft).

The first day we went out and we had a fairly bumpy ride out to our fishing spot, it was blowing about 15 knots (plenty of whitecaps) and meter plus swell. We where travelling almost directly into it.

The wind stayed for the day and we spent the day rediscovering our sea legs.

The return journey was earier than the outward journey, but its was still bumpy. Wind behind us.

The whole day was tough on the back, knees and body. I tried standing up and that was tough on the knees and sitting down (whilst underway) was too hard on the back - too much jarring.

That night I was so sore and was even thinking how the hell was I going to be able to back up the next day. My knees where very sore (I have poor knees from old footy injuries), my back was sore - my whole body was sore. When we did get to sit down, I could hardly get up to go to bed.

When I woke up the next day, it was a struggle to get out of bed. Everything was sore.

I did go fishing that day and as luck would have it the seas where calm and we had a nice easy day on the water. I was no-where near as sore that afternoon.

I am 40 years old and I don't know how I will be able to fish like that in 20 years. I can't believe how tough my 65 year old father in law is - as guys 25 years his junior are struggling.

To the members out there, what are the secrets to a pain free offshore fishing trip?

Do I just not go when its blowing 15 plus knots, do I stick to calm inshore waters, does someone do some exercises prior to fishing (build up muscles), do you have magic shoes or shock absorbing seats or there pills to take???

Scimitar raider
07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I find that by sitting and leaning forwards is the way to go, so that you pivot instead cruching your spine

Noelm
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess you could always get a smoother riding boat, but probably not all that practical, maybe you are just not used to it!

3rd degree
07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Saw a post on this site from Dayoo saying that he bought a bean bag and places it at the rear of the boat.

I reckon its great idea.

Cheers

Jim

Lucky_Phill
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
yep, the old water proof bean bag works a treat

lethal098
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
well the old saying Bruise craft comes to mind,
in all seriousness unfortunately its prob down to just not doing it enuff, its like a sport, try going back and playing footy at the same pace you did when you were 20, its all about the fitness. Easy fix just go fishing more and get your body used to it. cheers Lee

rando
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Take magnesium tablets, or have a long soak in a hot bath with a packet of epsom salts dissolved in it.

choppa
07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
yep, the old water proof bean bag works a treat

bean bag, ????

oh sorry you have to be a GOM first,,lol

mate i'm in the same catagory, and i find just keeping active,

simply placed the more i sit in one spot i cramp up, but if i'm up and about (and hence why chopjr is now more onboard), i don't get anywhere as near as bad

maybe just me, but the old groan and complaint remedies it, so does the wheat heat pads when i get home, as the spa on those real rough days.

Lovey80
07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Add some cash and go halves in a cat? or slow down.Cheerschris

sleepygreg
08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
its called 'getting old'. Happens to everyone, in particular those that have led very active sporting lives. Everytime I go to the docs complaining about this and that, things that i used to be able to do, but now give me grief, he says.......'wear and tear'...you abused your body when you were younger...now your paying for it.....grin and bear it.

Not even thinking about deep water jigging now!!!!

TimD
08-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Knock back a few bourbons and the pain will go away ;D

cheers tim :)

Scalem
08-09-2009, 07:14 AM
You will never completely erase the soreness, but there are a few things I am trying at the moment.

Apparently, the technique used for fighting fish can make a difference. Instead of pumping the rod past 45 degrees, while loaded onto a fish, is a lot of wasted energy ( and not good for a lot of rod blanks) so shorter strokes are the go. That's a nice problem to have for some ::)

The other thing I've done is lay rubber squares into the bottom of the boat, hot glue strips of velcroe to them so they don't move on the carpet. I had my trial run in the bay last Saturday, have not been offshore with them yet, but so far so good. They really soften the impact to the legs and back.l You can get these just about anywhere - I think I paid $30.00 for 8 squares and they interlock.

Apart from that, keep drinking WATER, your body will fatigue very quickly if you don't hydrate while out on the water - beer or burbon?? I think that will only worsten the problem!:-/:'(

The squares I am experimenting with seem to be doing the job!

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/SDC16531.jpg

Scalem

FNQCairns
08-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Stay down the back when travelling if it's rough, my boat is a rough ride so I designed it with a rear CC and can stand....a right limo compared to how could be, also of coarse it's wetter as the trade but considering the option I can live with that.

part of you problem is rough water at rest, works every muscle in your body and feels like a dose of the flu the next day, need to be generally fitter - join a pole dancing class;D

cheers fnq

Ausfish
08-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Stay hydrated during the day, about 3 litres of water. Also ensure your water intake for the previous few days is at that level. Coffee and alcohol will dehydrate you so stay away from that if possible.

Magnesium seems to help some people. Try Mag Phos tissue salts, available from most health food stores. http://www.martinandpleasance.com/_webapp_125001/Mag_Phos_Schuessler_Tissue_Salts

Have a good soak in a warm bath, about 37 deg, with two big hand fulls of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate). Sit in there for 20 to 30 mins, ad warm water as needed and drink plenty of water while in there.

Your existing level of fitness will play a major part in how you feel after a days off shore fishing. Even if you just walk every day for 30mins and stay hydrated you will pull up better at the end of the days fishing.

You should be drinking a litre of water for every 25kgs of body weight, per day. Plus a litre of water for every hour of exercise and replace any cups of coffee with water so they do not cut into your daily intake.

coraltrout68
08-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys for all the good ideas.

We stayed in a unit that had really soft beds - that didn't help.

I haven't been offshore for almost a year, so I will need to get out more often.

SgBFish
08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Need a springloaded seat.

Does anyone do them?

jake0
08-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys for all the good ideas.

We stayed in a unit that had really soft beds - that didn't help.

i would say thats 50% of your problem, i hope you get better and enjoy more fishing

tinman42
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Drugs, that is the answer to your pain, drugs.

Panadol, anti-inflamitories heat, etc. Really these are only a band aid to fix a problem.

A higher level of fitness should stop the problem occurring in the first place. Try standing and taking the shock with your knees by flexing (allow the knees to act as shock-absorbers).

Maybe the best solution is to recognize that you are not as young as you used to be and can't do the things you used to.

It now takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!

mowerman
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
HI mate.

You need to get out and use those muscles.

Tell ya what. Ive got over 20 cubes of soil, mulch and gravel that needs moving before monday. And a bobcat cant get to it. Thats why Timiboy wont be in it.

So, if you want to loosen those muscles, and get paid as well.

It will get the blood flowing, thats for sure.

Rod.

perko
08-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybee take a tablespoon of cement and harden up a bit. Or get a cat. Just stirring mate, do a few trips in a row and you will soon harden to it.

Dodgy_Back
09-09-2009, 07:30 AM
As sleepy greg said.
It's called getting older !!

I do what tinman42 suggests.

Pain killers are the trick to keep me fishing !! and at regular intervals.

sea-rash
09-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I find wearing a pair of crocs really helpful in looking after my back.

Rash

groverwa
09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Tinman31 says "Try standing and taking the shock with your knees by flexing (allow the knees to act as shock-absorbers)"

Not a real good idea. I used to do that for 5 years when fishing in Exmouth where we had a lot of short choppy conditions in the gulf. The boat was an old, old Quintrex 16 footer with 50 Evinrude Lark on the back. The seats were hard plastic garden style bolted to a pipe that fitted into a bracket on the floor so it seemed like a good idea at the time to stand up when travelling in choppy conditions

That was 20 years ago and I am now waiting to get a knee replacement for the left leg and the way the other is going that will have to be done and I put this down to standing and using the knees as shock absorbers

Hindsight tells me that a good sprung seat would have been a better option

FNQCairns
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Maybee take a tablespoon of cement and harden up a bit. Or get a cat. Just stirring mate, do a few trips in a row and you will soon harden to it.

A cat?! would be hard to balance on one of these, one under each foot would make it easier:D

cheers fnq

ozbee
09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
i assume your getting the good old NQ SHORT CHOP. doesnt matter how you hit it some where in the boat it wants to go up and down at the same time. i brought at crazy clarks that blue around 40 mm rubber foam . looks the same as those roll up sleeping mattress only denser . you can stand on it and rest your back on the seat edge . does taker that shudder out of a good hit

STUIE63
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
A cat?! would be hard to balance on one of these, one under each foot would make it easier:D

cheers fnq

but what are you going to do on the way home after baiting the crab pots:o
Stuie