PDA

View Full Version : worst ride 15' to 30 '

OPTI
05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
thought i start a post for people to tell us what boat they thought rode the worst from personal experience.
il start of ,i went fishing last week in my mates new tournament 2000,it would have to be the worst riding boat i could remember being in,slapped and pounded us to death,too shallower entry ,didnt respond to trim ,too much stern lift ,and very wet in a following sea.:-/

perko
05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Eagle ray 1800 sportscab, followed by quinny spirit.

dodgyone
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Trailcraft 660 Sportscab. A hull design suited to long rivers and protected waters does not equal 'the Ultimate Offshore Fishing Boat'

Chimo
05-09-2009, 09:38 AM
A little shorter but .......... the Stacer 525, a real pig in any sort of chop, hard on knees and they should have been equipped with kidney belts too.

And the similar sized Savage that had a habit of spliting along the keel.

Cheers
Chimo

DALEPRICE
05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
going to say the cruise craft 600 explorer that we had was a real spine shaker
into a head sea. great fishing platform but travelling was just hard work.
cheers dale

ashleyhj74
05-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Mustang 2150 walkaround, we had a demo in one when they were new years ago. Dont remember the ride being overly bad, but i have NEVER been in a wetter boat (and i currently own a centre-console/cab in Geelong, Vic......and its WAY drier than the mustang walkaround was). Our old 680 haines wasnt the best in short chop (offshore it was awesome in swell, chop, not so much). Probably the worst boat i've ever been in would be a Stessl 5.25 (sorry, bit smaller than the topic). Unstable, words cant describe the way it turned, harsh ride, just a boat i'll be glad if i never have to get in/see ever again in my life.

siegfried
05-09-2009, 04:06 PM
6.8 seafarer voyager centre cab with2 140 4stks, into 15kts head on chop came home wet and sore, never again..and every trailcraft Ive been in

Jabba_
06-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Quintrex Outsider 6.0m... I was sore for 3 days after going out in that POS...
Follow very closely by Yaltacraft 555.. The roughest ride I have had in a fibrglass boat, they rock and roll at rest and the water wasn't choppy by any means...

Smithy
06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
5.5m JBS plate boat. I can't believe Reefmaster (Greg and crew) put up with theirs for so long and did all the awesome fishing they did in it.

2nd was a 6.5m certain brand of famous plate boat made famous on AF.

Catweb
06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
18' Swiftcraft Dominator, flat arsed, bone destroying submarine.

FNQCairns
06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
A Full Boar? i think, aluminium plate with not much deadrise, wide, gone broke now. I lost tooth cavities fillings, found all manner of potential future nerve end problems and helped a chiropractor pay of his Jacuzzi, never stepped in it ever again!

Edit* just read the thread and it was not a full boars but the JBS brand Smithy speaks of above, totally agree with him.

cheers fnq

TJ Bear
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Most of the larger Tournament boats which are the old Mustang Trailerboats all seem very hard to trim and wet for there size.

Jarrah Jack
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
A good idea for a thread and should turn into a must read for anyone getting into boating or changing boats.

My worst experience was in one of the earlier L & P Savage Streaker, about 15ft I think. What a dog, just really dangerous. The first time I hit a wave in it, it wanted to submarine nearly sank and put the crew through the windscreen. No amount of playing with the trim helped. How these things are ever allowed off the drawing board amazes me.

The same goes for those John Savage splitters.

jason p
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
my pursuit 550 a noosa built boat is awsome in rough seas very dry with the odd bone jarring, bit uncomfortable in short chop but still quite dry. could improve the ride with a little more weight, dont mind having a full load to soften things out some more.
the old man had stedge craft 18ft bl###y dangerous thing, quite often find her laying on the side, scarry stuff.
did a lot fishing out of a yalta 16ft she rode on top of the water like a cork and every time you went down a wave the old nuckles whent white because you new the ars end of her was about to 90 deg to you. glad he got rid of that thing.

lippa
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
5.2 kevlacat

ya just want to get off. has a lot to do with the skippers not shutting up how good they are!

Noelm
07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
without doubt an old flat bottmed Pride my mates father used to own, had a 50HP Evinrude "starfire" or "Starflight", can't remember which it was, that was about the same size as a new 300HP, even sitting in the plush back to back seats you got pounded, I reckon even the Flathead he used to catch came home with a bad back!

ozscott
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Novacraft 15 foot...my god every time it had any wave action it used to roll like a dutch frigate 1780 style.

Cheers

PS. It had also been belted with the ugly stick to boot

ShaneC
07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
My mates Trailcraft.... on its maiden voyage in the Bay on a not too bad sort of day, came down that hard off a smallish choppy wave that hard it compressed a disc in his old mans back!!! Absolutely horrible dog of a boat that I cant believe he still owns....

finding_time
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
There is a certain "Lightning" that a few Ausfishers have owned over the years that is without doubt the worst riding boat in Aus!!!!! I'm not going to name it as i'm sure who ever owns it at the moment is probably trying to sell it !!!

IAN

The-easyrider
07-09-2009, 08:10 PM
A little shorter but .......... the Stacer 525, a real pig in any sort of chop, hard on knees and they should have been equipped with kidney belts too.

And the similar sized Savage that had a habit of spliting along the keel.

Cheers
Chimo

Have to 2nd that one, I am sure that my old bondwood ski boat would have handeled the moreton bay chop better than my stacer easyrider ::)

wetryin
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
And whilst we are on the 525 Category; I would like to add the Blue Fin 525. Not only was it a bone jarring experience but the windscreen was just at the perfect height to loose some teeth. I still have my teeth, the boat's long gone.

PinHead
07-09-2009, 09:02 PM
my first boat..Rum Runner..once it started porpoising you had to come off the plane to settle it down and then start all over again

STUIE63
07-09-2009, 10:12 PM
went for a test day in a GS marine extreme 5.5 after 6 minutes in it I wanted out . the salesman driving it was trying to tell me and the other bloke on the run with me how good it was .if he belived that then he shouldn't be selling boats .
Stuie

dodgyone
08-09-2009, 07:18 AM
went for a test day in a GS marine extreme 5.5 after 6 minutes in it I wanted out . the salesman driving it was trying to tell me and the other bloke on the run with me how good it was .if he belived that then he shouldn't be selling boats .
Stuie

Funnily enough they actually get better the harder you push them. Most guys that own them fish the top ends rivers and dont see much more than a bit of chop. Cant imagine a salesman trying to sell them as an offshore rig though.

STUIE63
08-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Funnily enough they actually get better the harder you push them. Most guys that own them fish the top ends rivers and dont see much more than a bit of chop. Cant imagine a salesman trying to sell them as an offshore rig though.

the salesman at Townsville where I went for the test day definately was and this clown tried to push it into waves I don't think it got better as he pushed it
Stuie

julian1
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
i once had a Savage Swordfish 605 pressed tinny, it was a back breaker even cracked across the transom :-[ , i could not sell it quick enough after a long trip home on a SE breeze one day. i replaced it with a HH680SF and it was like riding on a new pair of Nike Air running shoes, but even now i look back on the 680SF and comparing it to now it was not all that, after owning the 233 and now the Cat

the second worse was a TABS 6.0m anything headon was awful and the best comfortable cruise speed was around 15knots and it was only just over 10knots of wind :P . It was a stable platform for fishing though

fly_1
09-09-2009, 07:01 AM
A 6.5m AMM with twin 90hp johnos onit. Nearly broke my back, and we couldnt get out of it fast enough!!!!!

kokomo
09-09-2009, 07:44 AM
generally heading north into any sort of northerly wind/chop in moreton bay will result in a 'worst trip/boat of all time'

no small boat can handle it like a larger boat can.

OPTI
09-09-2009, 05:14 PM
proably the wettest boat ive been in was the wahoo 22 and 25 centre consol,[formally allisons]it would of been dryer to just jump over board:'(
kokomo ,did you here about the 7m dominator cat ,that rolled in moreton on a presale sea trial,and it wasnt the first one to roll over,i havnt been in one but can only assume??:o

Moffy
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Might put the cat amongst the pidgeons - but many a good boat can be made to look like a dog by a skipper that doesn't know what they are doing......
Same goes for boats that are being used contrary to their design (overloaded, improper weight distribution, over/underpowered, inshore boat being taken offshore etc).

lippa
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
There is a certain "Lightning" that a few Ausfishers have owned over the years that is without doubt the worst riding boat in Aus!!!!! I'm not going to name it as i'm sure who ever owns it at the moment is probably trying to sell it !!!

IAN

:D:D did it have a small honda on it?

marlin01
08-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Definitely the 6m Bangtrex, spend the hour after getting it back on the trailer looking foor the crews fillings!! ;D Seriously unbelievable how poorly they ride.

The Swiftcraft domminator was a second and a 5m clark a ring wet third.

Makes my back sore just thinkin about it, brrrrrr.

Cheers Marlin01

Smithy
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Greg,

found the Rumrunner I went out in a few times did the same thing. They are getting close to being an abomination of a boat, rolly at rest for no super smooth ride and those high sides are hard to fish out of. The round bilge might have something to do with it rather than a V or having a planing plank though I have heard heaps of bad things about boats with planing planks.

Noelm
09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I also have found the few boats I have been in with planing planks have all been crappy, my mate had an Alison about 16' and it was crap, and another friend from up on the Sunny Coast had a big (21'?) Alison and it was crap as well, he only owned it for 9 months and flogged it off.

chop duster
09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Smithy,
so the rumrunner had a round bilge and a planing plank?

Noelm, Smithy,
What is the planing plank effecting, ride into a head sea or stability at rest or both? Not questioning your judgement just interested in your thoughts.

We run an ex Jenkscraft hull. The originals didn't have a planing plank (round bilge), although somewhere along the line, a mould was made with an approx 30cm wide x 7ft planing plank to the keel (this is what we pulled or hull out of). Only time we notice it is runnig over 40 knots trimmed out in a slight chop, you can feel the peaks of the chop being compressed by the flat surface, nothing alarming, infact I like the feeling, lets you know the hull is up out of the water running free and you know you are really hooking! also think it helps eliminate chine walking.

bugman
09-10-2009, 05:03 PM

IAN

hhhhmmmmm To which are you referring my friend ::)

On it's day it was fine. Off it's day - well I nearly swam home one day.

FNQCairns
09-10-2009, 05:49 PM
One of these?

http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7721425

http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7466594

Educate us, what's so bad about them??

They look ok for a tin boat.

cheers fnq

outsider580
09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Swiftcraft dominator for sure. Used to fish the four beacons from Raby bay . Trip home in arvo's with 20kt southeaster was murder on knees,back,kidney and the patience didn't help the skipper was lead foot. Could hardly walk next day. Also 5m Trailcraft sportscab What a piece of shit.

ozscott
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Presumably this is the reason for the Dominator problems http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/dealerweb/boat/private/bp5233059910058166090.jpg

Whereas it might benefit from a bit of v: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26617&ads=1&d=1255077206

(ie vagabond et al style)

Man thats an ugly butt on that Swiftcraft (swift on a mill pond I suppose) and the ETEC would just make it bang harder

outsider580
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Presumably this is the reason for the Dominator problems http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/dealerweb/boat/private/bp5233059910058166090.jpg

Whereas it might benefit from a bit of v: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26617&ads=1&d=1255077206

(ie vagabond et al style)
Hi Ozscott are you refering to flat arse or etec.:o

ozscott
09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
:).................

BrenMac
16-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Interesting reading everyone's opinions, some suprising.

I wonder how many "worst ride" experiences were due to the skipper not knowing how to trim / drive the boat properly...

Matt_F
16-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I sencond that BrenMac.

Three things contribute to a good or bad ride.

1. The conditions
2. The hull
3. How the skipper drives it

Every single planning hull ever built will be rough/dangerous if the skipper flogs it bad conditions. So there is no piont in making any comment unless the conditions and how it was driven is also given.

Noelm
16-10-2009, 11:28 AM
not so, some boats are sad riding regardless of the driver, trust me, been in enough to know what is badly driven, sea is too rough, or it is just a crap riding boat.

ozscott
16-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Yep - some are just plane dogs. My brother in law had a Novacraft...cant remember the type but it was 14 foot long glass and puke yellow. It had a design that just looked weird, but setting that aside it used to roll so badly going through boat wakes that we thought she was going to tip many times...a rough sea might well have seen her turn over! It was driven well and was not overpowered. It just barked and smelt when wet.

Cheers

GBC
16-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Smithy,
so the rumrunner had a round bilge and a planing plank?

Noelm, Smithy,
What is the planing plank effecting, ride into a head sea or stability at rest or both? Not questioning your judgement just interested in your thoughts.

We run an ex Jenkscraft hull. The originals didn't have a planing plank (round bilge), although somewhere along the line, a mould was made with an approx 30cm wide x 7ft planing plank to the keel (this is what we pulled or hull out of). Only time we notice it is runnig over 40 knots trimmed out in a slight chop, you can feel the peaks of the chop being compressed by the flat surface, nothing alarming, infact I like the feeling, lets you know the hull is up out of the water running free and you know you are really hooking! also think it helps eliminate chine walking.

Howzabout a photo of your boat as the avatar then instead of a dirty old Mustang?

Ditto the paning plank - the signature gets on hers at around 35 mph and starts humming - till ya need to turn quick........(she needs a bit of trim out to keep the fine nose just clear or she'll start drawing S's down the sea.

Worst ride 15 ft plus -

1.my old outsider,
2.a cliff joshua Southern Cross tri hull,
3.My old stacer seamaster,
4.trying to slow punch an ocean in a seafarer Vermont (they weren't made for slow planing).

chop duster
16-10-2009, 12:29 PM
GBC,

My research tells me, that dirty old mustang is based on the Jenkscraft hull.... correct me if i'm wrong?

Will try attach a pic of the boat.

Chimo
16-10-2009, 12:31 PM
My mates stacer 525, hard on knees, back. etc unless your off the plane!
Great in flat rivers and lakes though.

At least it didn't try to drown all on board like another mates Savage, that also rode well in rivers and lakes but had a tendancy to keep splitting open along the keel.

Chimo

GBC
17-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Wouldn't have a clue ChopDuster but the lines do look similar.
If you want to keep the dirty old mustang for your avatar can I have the one of the CC:)? She's a very nice looking machine you've got yourself there.