PDA

View Full Version : The fishos marked my boat!!!

ShaneC
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

Whilst fishing last week on my northern odyssey in Bowen, I was approached by the fishos. On their approach, I offerred to drop two fenders to protect my boat to which I was told it was ok, they just wanted to quickly check the esky and they would be on their way. No sooner had the words been spoken that they crunched into the side of my boat, not once, but TWICE!!!

Upon cleaning the boat that afternoon, I noticed that they had in fact left an awesome mark down the side of the boat about 3 foot long and 15 mm thick. I managed to polish the marks out of the gelcoat but they damaged my rego sticker and that cant be fixed and needs to be replaced. I rang the fisheries office up there and informed them I would be making a complaint, the lady was helpful and assured me I would be contacted within a couple of days, which has not happened.

The sticker has been cut by CruiseCraft to match their pinstriping and will cost 60 bucks to replace.

Who's responsibility is this? I understand they will try and dodge it by saying I should have dropped the fenders, and I wish I did, but I thought they would be able to handle a 15ft tinny a bit better in order to stay off a boat at anchor in very favourable conditions!!

I must add that the two fishos were absolutely polite and informative (maybe because they hit the boat :-/ ) and I feel a bit slack chasing them down for it, but I was doing nothing wrong and have effectively copped a $60 fine.

Does their legislation allow for reimbursment for damaged caused or am I peeing into the wind? And am I just being a whinging prick and should just pay the $60 or leave it as it is?? Its not a real lot of dough in the big scheme of things, but had they been a bit more careful it would not have happened....

Cheers,

Shane

uglyfish
03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Mate I think u would be better peeing in the ocean,there a goverment body with a limited budget.worth a crack but...

Kleyny
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
government department will replace things that they damage if you can prove it was them or if they own up to it regardless of the financial issues.

Make sure you take photos of the damage and give them quotes to fix it.

I would be very surprised if they do not fix it.

neil

black runner
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd be really p*ssed off. You offered, they refused and banged up your boat - twice. I would at least lodge a complaint in writing.

Don't have a problem with Fisheries doing their job, but they need to respect other people's property in the process.

Cheers

siegfried
03-09-2009, 08:30 PM
funny ay you can drive any old car around the joint and the police might stop you for rbt once evry pancake friggen day but poke out on the water for a fish and these dudes pounce all over you like bloody SWAT teams. Its bloody nonsense, if they wanna check your stuff itd be more effective to do it at the ramp ( and cheaper cause the taxpayer woudnt need to spring for as many flash boats). Ive been pulled up many times now for stuff all but all the well known shonks seem to avoid em. I support what they are trying to do but FMD it wears thin.

Angla
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I think a letter to their office giving all the details and any photos, along with a quote for the repair costs should see them doing the right thing.

Cheers
Chris

Scalem
04-09-2009, 07:15 AM
It's a pain when these things happen, but it depends on you. Personally my life is too busy chasing these sorts of things, and $60.00 may not be significant enough in peoples' minds to give you the attention it deserves. You offered, they declined, its just wrong!! I can't imagine the amount of effort on your part to get a claim processed with a large department such as this ......

Took a mate and his family out for a days' fishing, and the little treasure 8YO daughter yanked on the toggle of the self inflatable PDF. Another $40.00 for replacement gas canister that I have paid for, and I doubt I will ever get reimbursed for that either. Yep... if it can be restored back to new, move on I reckon. I might die a poor man, but as I said, too busy to worry about these sorts of things, but that's just me.

Scalem

upstart
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Mate, I had the fishos bang in to me at Cape Upstart last year. It was probably the same bloke!! This bloke cam at me from upwind and just banged into the front left side of the boat. Some people just don't have boat sense.

Zooter
04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Damage is damage, regardless of how much it is!

Im sure they wouldn't want you banging in to there Car back at the ramp, Also considering most boats these days are worth a Crap load more than cars.

I wouldn't have a worry sending them the bill, Go for it mate :)

ShaneC
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Well guys, I have an update!!!

I received a phone call today and was told in no uncertain terms that the integrity of the officers involved is absolutely paramount, they have stated they did not run into my boat, sorry but we can't help you.....

So, after a bit of pondering and a couple of minutes to cool down, I rang the NQ fishos boss in Cairns. He listened to what I had to say, rang the officers in question and called me back. They are absolutely adamant that they didnt hit my boat, however as a show of 'good faith' they are going to pay for the damage. So all in all, it has been a favourable outcome for me, but I must admit it has left a bitter taste. The fact that I said nothing at the time also reflected to them that they didnt hit the boat, but I for one am not one for major hissy fits, it gets ya nowhere in my eyes.

To be told that they have no doubt that they didnt hit my boat but they will fix it anyway says to me they reckon I am full shit but will fix it to stay on side. I am happy with the outcome, but I do not appreciate being called a bullshit artist. They knew full well they hit my boat, twice, and I for one would have a lot more respect for those in question if they stuck their hand in the air and just admitted it, its not like they would pay for it anyway. I too work for the govt and we often damage private property in the course of our work, its no big deal, fess up so the person affected can have it put right asap.

All in all, I am not whinging, I got what I wanted, but will now ALWAYS drop fenders off the side if approached by fisheries and will insist they do the same or I wont give them permission to pull up alongside my boat.

I know it was only $60 damage but whos to say it wont cost more next time.

Shane

FNQCairns
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
So it's yet another case of "its not what you know it's who you know" if so damn shame, fishery needs all the good PR it can get, not that it changes their scope but it cannot hurt, another chance missed, at least it got publicised 99.9 of all incidents/claims/complaints never see any airing.

cheers fnq

Mike Delisser
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
So it's yet another case of "its not what you know it's who you know" if so damn shame, fishery needs all the good PR it can get, not that it changes their scope but it cannot hurt, another chance missed, at least it got publicised 99.9 of all incidents/claims/complaints never see any airing.

cheers fnq

What The!!!!!!

Back to the point
I glad to hear you will get the $ reimbursed and I would expect those Fisheries officers to get the rev up they deserve behind closed doors.

And to tell you the truth I think that the Fisheries should be the one's using the fenders as they are one's pulling up next to Joe Public's boat all day long. Or at least they should be using a Pollycraft boat or something similar.
Cheers

Scott nthQld
04-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's a good one, lodge an incident report with MSQ, I've lodged one with them before when the GBRMPA came within 2 inches of driving nose first into the side of my anchored boat. It took all of 5 minutes to do and a few weeks later I received a letter with the outcome, their licences were suspended for an undisclosed amount of time. Dunno how that affected their job, but I hope they lost it.

Also if/when it does happen again, make sure to mention it in a clear, loud voice, despite what they say, all authorities in the field record every conversation they have with the public. And, you are more than entitled to a copy of the recording.

FNQCairns
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Seriously!! I don't disbelieve your account but wonder about the licence removal, they probably forward dated the bloke suspension to coincide with 2 weeks of public holidays or 4 days over a long weekend with a day of time in lieu, some white wash for sure.......if the suspension happened at all, given you no proof.

cheers fnq

Sandman
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Good on you for persuing it i would have regardless of the ammount , if no one acts on these things it becomes suddenly a case of she'll be right. the times i have been pulled over i make sure the fenders are out, my only close call was with the water police but give them the thumbs up they spotted the potential and righted their wrong.
Sounds to me a case of the guilts if they are paying, in any incident you dont admit your in the wrong!!

Fishbait
04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Good outcome Shane.

Chimo
04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Good point about the conversations being recorded.

As far back as the late 80s and 90s the Fisheries and Wildlife staff and others who could get into a dispute with their clients used voice activated tape recorders in the field.

There's probably no reason to believe that this practise has ceased as it does provide protection for all concerned; especially if a brief is to be prepared on the the basis of
- he said ........
- I said........
and this goes forward to court before a Magistrate etc

If your boats to be inspected theres no reason why you cannot welcome them but request time to lay out fenders, in a loud voice!

Cheers
Chimo

Reefmaster
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Good to see outcome go your way shane. I had them check me not long back in the bay and as he came along side me I said "do not touch my boat with your boat" his reaction was its only a boat. I asked sorry mate what did you just say and he said nothing. I saw red and told him if he's willing to pay $12,000 for the paint job then go right a head. I had a mate hold their boat away from mine and after that he didnt bother coming aboard but asked what i had so i showed him.

Greg

whatscracken
04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
He'd be wasting his time trying to check your catch Greg, nothing but monsters from what I've seen in your reports ;D

Mike Delisser
05-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I think that's the problem, it's not their boat. If it was they would be a lot more careful when they pulled along side.

NEWBY
05-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Mate its not ONLY $60 its the point you have made. Good idea to make your case on the spot if it happens again especially if you have other people on board.

Goo on ya mate. A win for the little bloke.