PDA

View Full Version : Package deal or boat + motor separate?

spelchek
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Generally - is it better to buy a boat + motor package, or buy the hull+trailer separate to the motor? Obvioously there will be 'specials' that will sway the results, but what do you guys reckon in a general sense?

Kleyny
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
if you like shopping around for a bargain you can save some good money if you buy everything separate. And this way you get what you want.

It comes down to are you able to fit things out yourself.

neil

Getout
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I would suggest that you buy the whole package together. That way you don't have hassle with warranty and you are more likely to get everything assembled/fitted correctly.
I'd hate to think about the potential problems of getting three different suppliers to arrive at the same outcome.

Kleyny
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Getout has a point if you were buying a largeish type boat but if you were buying just a basic tinny with a few extras i would go shopping.

I did and saved thousands.

neil

Noelm
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
just be careful with the package deal, sometimes what seems like a good price needs to be researched a bit, lots of dealers will put the very minimum trailer, the smallest motor and anything else they can to make it all look "cheap" when sometimes shopping around, or speccing your own package can be just a bit dearer, but you end up with a far better boat/motor/trailer.

Getout
04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree with Noelm. BUY FROM AN ESTABLISHED REPUTABLE DEALER. Cheapest is not always the best deal.
It really annoys me to see boats packaged with undersized motors to make the price look better.
Generally, you get what you pay for.

Mrs Ronnie H
04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi
We have been looking around lately for a small tinny, trailer and motor just to use in the river here instead of taking the big boat.
We are thinking it may be better to buy the boat,motor and trailer separately.
It might take a few phone calls and a couple of outings.
Make up your mind what you want first--makes it a hell of a lot easier if you phone someone and tell them what it is you're after.

Ronnie

stinky-stabi
05-09-2009, 07:35 AM
i purchased my boat , trailer,motor all from seperate dealers and saved over 5000 on the package price , i must say it did piss the boat dealer off a bit but i saved and that is what counts to me.....