PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Installation Service???

Michael_R
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi all.
Any responses would be greatly appreciated....
Wanting to install a whole new windscreen with new frame and all. My boat is a fibreglass 15ft runaboat. I live in Sydney's West (Doonside). Anybody out there know of someone who makes up new boat windscreens and frames and approx cost involved??? I dont mind travelling up to 45 mins or so...

Also, can anyone please tell me the approx cost involved in getting a 50hp outboard fitted onto my boat and maybe even a contact name or number if you have one?

Finally, any ideas on approx cost of someone fitting new cable steering system? and how much does a cable steering system cost?

Thankyou in advance for your help and advice.

philzero44
02-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Michael R, I'm looking for a windscreen for a 14ft quintrex and I don't care what shape as long it's ok,I was hoping someone would have a second hand one for sale.Thanks Phil.

blacksunday
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
try this mob mate i just ordered my new screen from them and he knows his stuf.im about 1000km away from them and for 600$ i can get a whole new screen for my haines v19r and delivered.

http://www.boatwindscreens.com

Michael_R
02-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Michael R, I'm looking for a windscreen for a 14ft quintrex and I don't care what shape as long it's ok,I was hoping someone would have a second hand one for sale.Thanks Phil.

Hi Phil. Wish I could help mate. I just sold my old windscreen for $90 on ebay a few days ago. It had a few cracks....

Michael_R
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
try this mob mate i just ordered my new screen from them and he knows his stuf.im about 1000km away from them and for 600$ i can get a whole new screen for my haines v19r and delivered.

http://www.boatwindscreens.com

Thankyou for this contact Blacksunday but I was hoping that I could find someone in Sydney as I dont even know what model my old Pride Runabout is so I was hoping to take it to someone and get it custom made. I really appreciate you responding though mate. Cheers...:)

Michael_R
03-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Any more thoughts fellas?

cormorant
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Are you ever actually going to use it as a windscreen and look through it?

If not you could just have a fibreglasser build you up a "wavebreaker"ie a windscreen that is not see through and gives you extra storage and space for large sounder screens etc.

Just a left field idea.

Speak with western boat repairs and they will put you on to someone or do the work.Just type it in as one word with .com.au after it.

Michael_R
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Are you ever actually going to use it as a windscreen and look through it?

If not you could just have a fibreglasser build you up a "wavebreaker"ie a windscreen that is not see through and gives you extra storage and space for large sounder screens etc.

Just a left field idea.

Speak with western boat repairs and they will put you on to someone or do the work.Just type it in as one word with .com.au after it.

Thankyou for your response Cormorant. I do want it to be an ordinary see-through windscreen so I did call western boat repairs but they unfortunately told me that they dont do windscreens and dont really know who does...:'( They dont even fit outboards and cable steering onto boats either...:( Just general body repairs etc...

This is starting to drive me crazy!!!:o

Michael_R
05-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't believe how hard it has been to find someone that does this work in Sydney!!! Just three things... 1)Custom Windscreen installation, 1)Fitting an outboard to my boat, and 3)Buying and fitting a Cable Steering System.

Any other ideas people???

Michael_R
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I tried Family boats in Blacktown. They will fit the outboard and cable steering but they DO NOT do windscreens....:'( :'( :'(

BM
05-09-2009, 06:15 PM
You will live to regret selling yours off so cheaply Michael....

Yours is a 1 piece screen and as such it requires heat moulding to get the acrylic sheet to bend through the tight corners.

You could of course use polycarbonate, which will bend through those corners without heat moulding but its scratch resistant coating isn't and its uv stabiliser isn't either.. And polycarb (with the aforementioned not so great coatings) is very expensive.

If you'd given the old screen to a screen fabricator they would have had a simple pattern to work from which would have made things cheaper for you. Starting from scratch is going to cost you dearly and finding someone who wants to do it may be difficult.

I would expect that screen to cost you a minimum of $600.

Engine fitment costs vary wildly so its hard to put a price on it and it depends on what is required along the way as part of the install. Might be $600, might be $1200.

Steering kits are available for about $250 plus a steering wheel if yours is unsuitable. Wheels start at about $30. Fitting perhaps $200-300 on top of that.

cheers

Michael_R
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
It certainly feels like I am already starting to regret it BM. Although the reason why I sold off my old screen is because I am restoring the whole boat and wanted to put one of those types of screens with the middle section which opens up, so I never really wanted the original curved type screen. Dont know if that makes it easier or harder or if it makes it cheaper or more expensive??? Who knows? Thankyou for all the info you shared by the way BM, it was really helpful.
Now...... Let the REGRET begin!!!!:'(