PDA

View Full Version : The New Tomahawk

WalFish
31-08-2009, 07:30 PM
G'day, I have now joined the age of technology and on the net in Timor on my little holiday. After being away from home for a while, you need some things to keep up morale and motivate you from day to day............. so before I left I ordered a Formosa Tomahawk 580 Half-cab from the Tinny Shack. Duncan at Formosa sent me the first couple of photos the other day. It certainly put a smile on my dial, just can't wait for more photos now as "Beer Batter" comes together. Mr Honda was also extra nice and sent me a cheque for the cashback deal on the 135 hp 4-banger. Very happy with that.;D

Flex
31-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Not a bad looking rig,
The hull itself looks totally different from the original Tomahawke I looked at during last years Brissy boat show.
Looks like a 20+ deg deadrise? the old one was only 15. since when did they change do you know?

WalFish
31-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Flex, not sure of the actual deadrise, but I do know they have increased it slightly. I think it was just after I ordered mine back in about March this year. I have been emailing Duncan a bit at Formosa, and he has told me of a few other changes they have made also, including adding more storage under the front bunks through a design change to the lids etc. The finished product will see plenty of use, can't wait................

levinge
31-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey Wal, looks like she's coming together for you.

Everyday must be hurting, not being able be concentrate on Beer Batter...

Heres just a little bit to wet your appetite....

Hurry home, I can't hold off too long at catching the fish by myself...

WalFish
14-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I am sure you have all seen those Motivational emails..... well hera are some more.

Day 113 in Timor - $2.50

More bloody rice for tea in the same mess - $3.00

Photos of my new boat being built...............Priceless!!

The new Tomahawk continues. Should be finished construction by the end of the week, then off to be prepped for paint.

(Insert grin from ear to ear here)

WalFish

levinge
15-09-2009, 07:03 AM
She's starting to look really good there Wal.

You'll have to start thinking of names shortly...

Your not missing much at the moment, weather has gone to shite and not expect to ease for a while yet...

WalFish
15-09-2009, 07:13 PM
My four year old daughter Natasha won the family vote. The new rig will be forever known as "Beer Batter" and will be in a font similar to the XXXX Angels lettering as shown below. Go for maroon lettering with gold trim to be put on the side of the cabin against the white background.

Why "Beer Batter" you might ask? Well, Natasha's reasoning is that all fish taste great with beer batter, especially her favourite - Mackerel. Thats a point you just can't argue.

Speaking of boat names, and recommendations for good service in the Townsville district??

Cheers
Wal

WalFish
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
And the build is almost complete. Got some more photos from Duncan at Formosa today and needless to say, we are all getting a little excited. Should have the carpet and the rest of the factory fit-out next week, and then onto the truck to Mission Beach for the electronics, deck wash, motor and LED lights etc etc.

Have also had a name done up. My daughter Natasha says all fish goes well with BEER Batter!!

Cheers
Wal

pilchardjones
04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
great looking boat wal.
bet you can't wait to get home.
steve

levinge
04-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Wal you getting a rear Bimini done on her??

She is looking the goods for sure.....

BaitThrower
04-10-2009, 06:20 PM
ok im jealous :)

jake0
04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
very very nice Wal, great choise on motor, have only read good reports on these boats

WalFish
04-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah Brett, after your advice I am getting the rear bimini, deck wash, kill tank and LEDs fitted. One in each of the gunnels and a strip LED under the hard-top.

Went to the Tinnie Shack on Monday and had a look at one in the flesh for the first time - couldn't get the kids out of it after they found the bunks up front::) . Carla was in stitches.

Should be good to go 8-)
Wal

levinge
04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
When are you due back to work???

If you want to have a fish before you go back, let me know. I could always find a cough from somewhere!!!

WalFish
04-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the offer mate. I am getting on a plane at 0500h tomorrow direct for Dili.

See you in about 4 1/2 months.

Wal

STUIE63
04-10-2009, 07:59 PM
mate can you get the positioning of the anchor light moved as it will be a pain in the proverbial whilst motoring along where it is nice boat by the way
Stuie

levinge
04-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hear your going back so early. Best of Luck and I promise to leave a few fish for you and Beer Batter to land..

JB
05-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice boat, i agree with stuie, i'd move that anchor light to the top of the hardtop.

Hell Boy
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
i also have to agree with Stuie and Jb, get them to move that anchor light to the hard top.

the only reason i can think of why they would put it there is because of height issues. but still that can be sorted my a removable perko anchor light on top of the hardtop.

I'd be gutted that it'll be 4 and a half months before i could take out my new unused boat. stay safe over there

Bryn

WalFish
09-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Just got some more photos from Duncan at Formosa. I am really pleased with how she has all come together, and looks really good on the trailer.

BEER Batter will be going onto a semi and trucked up to Mission Beach in the next week or so to have the fit-out done.

Looking at getting a engine cowling cover at the moment and will probably get the full motor cover as well as she will be stored outside.....won't fit in the bedroom.......:'( Looking at that company that just does outboard covers - Outboard Covers Australia. Any good or bad experiences with these blokes or just advice on covers in general?

Cheers
Wal

Captain BEER Batter ;D

levinge
09-10-2009, 11:31 PM
OCA Look the goods, have seen a few around and was even considering getting one done for mine also Wal.

She's looking might fine, she'll be in good hands with Dean and Carla..

BigMav
10-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Hey mate its Burchy how's things? The tomahawk is looking sweet indeed. I know how you feel about not getting out in the boat. I'm over in the middle east at the moment for quite some time. Sold the tinny before I left and have been scouring boatpoint for a replacement in my spare time over here. The formosa 580 is on the shortlist. I'm curious to know if you test drove any of the classic 580's and the main differences between the two. You'll be home before me but we'll have to organise a trip to the reef when we get back and buy another boat.

levinge
10-10-2009, 11:27 PM
BigMav, when you get back, send me a pm and I'll take you for a wet test in my Formosa 580. Wal's already seen her in action.

BigMav
11-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the offer levinge I might just take you up on that. My old man has recently purchase the 530 half cab and is wrapped with its performance down in Melbourne but I'm yet to get down there to check it out. Cheers

BigMav, when you get back, send me a pm and I'll take you for a wet test in my Formosa 580. Wal's already seen her in action.

tuna boy
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
nice looking boat wal......go the formosa!!!!!!!!!!!

WalFish
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
My wife Marcha and my two girls Chloe and Natasha trekked up to Mission Beach on Saturday from Townsville to have a look (play) over the boat and take some photos for me.

Carla and Dean have been excellent to deal with and were more than happy to spend time with them and show them over the boat. Most of the fit-out is complete with rear bimini, stickers and a few other minor items to finish off before the water test and prop set-up. Can't recommend the services at the Tinnie Shack strongly enough:thumbsup:

Anyway, have attached a few photos just to show their enthusiasm. Can't wait to get home from Timor and launch BEER Batter!!

levinge
08-11-2009, 09:13 PM
She's definitely looking good now Wal. One thing you might want to look at is, replacing the winch cable with Spectre Braided Rope (if you haven't already taken the advice)....

kids definitely look suitably impressed, how long now (How many sleeps)

WalFish
09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey Brett, yeah, I am slowly getting closer. Anywhere between 106 and 94 sleeps to go........ depends on which flight I can sneak out on!!

The kids were more than impressed. They wouldn't let me get a word in on the phone. They had Carla in stitches the whole time apparently.

The Dunbier has the Nylon strap on the winch as opposed to the steel wire rope. That'll do me for a bit and I'll change it over to the other stuff once its showing a bit of age. Had the nylon belt on the last trailer and did the job.

Ended up getting the stickers done by a mate of my brother's at Forrest Beach - Skullduggery Grafix. Quentin did a top job. I'll post some pictures when they are put on.

WalFish
13-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, only 36 days until I come home from Timor now. Then about another 3 sleeps and off to Mission Beach to pick up the new boat. Can't wait.8-)

bulldogs7
13-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Wal
if you dont mind me asking mate what are the Tomahawk worth and what size did you get ?I've looked at the cuddy cab formosa but yours looks great just wondering if my budget would stretch to that.and good luck in timor mate i just knocked back a trip over there,would rather be fishing here.

scott

WalFish
13-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Mate, paid about $52,500 ON WATER for the 5.80 metre model. That includes rego for boat and trailer, electronics, safety gear with EPIRB and all the bells and whistles. Read back through this thread and it will cover most of the details. Cannot recommend the team at the Tinnie Shack enough - well worth the drive if you are in the North QLD area. PM me if you have any more questions.

BigMav
19-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Hey thommo what electronics did you end up with? I'm getting closer to making a decision and have been talking about the different options with Carla. I bet you can't wait to get back, I feel your pain.

BigMav
19-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Oh yeah, I read somewhere else on here you were looking for a cover too. This is my old mans one he recently had done. Not sure if its what you're after but it cost him $550 custom made finished in one day.

WalFish
19-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Ended up going with the Lowrance HDS in the 5 inch models - separate sounder and GPS. Should do the trick. Have now been trying to convince myself to invest in the Structure Scan module - wait and see how that pans out.

BigMav
19-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah thats the same electronics that my old man has on his formosa and he has been happy with both chartplotter and sounder so far.

WalFish
23-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, just got the latest batch of photos today. She is now finished and ready to hit the water for prop test and fitting...... Saturday 23 Jan 2010 here we come. Will water test her on the Saturday at Mission Beach, then off to Lucinda for the Australia Day long weekend to "blood" her.8-)

More than happy with the end result. Well worth the wait!!

Merry christmas to you all.:)

Mad-One
24-12-2009, 05:00 AM
One nice looking rig. The next 4 weeks will seem like forever, you will sleep in it for the first month lol. enjoy her when you get home

Cheers Phil

BigMav
01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, just got the latest batch of photos today. She is now finished and ready to hit the water for prop test and fitting...... Saturday 23 Jan 2010 here we come. Will water test her on the Saturday at Mission Beach, then off to Lucinda for the Australia Day long weekend to "blood" her.8-)

More than happy with the end result. Well worth the wait!!

Merry christmas to you all.:)

Had a good look over your boat while up at mission beach just yesterday and it looks great now the signage is done and the extension for the canopy looks the goods too. Well done on a good buy, that price is extremely good considering all the extras you got with her.

Axl
01-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Congrats mate the new rig looks great and the name that was chosen for her suits down to the ground.

I bet you cant wait to spill some blood and scales on her.

WalFish
01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
BigMav - yeah, great boat at a great price. Now that you have been to the Tinnie Shack I'm sure you'll agree that Dean and Carla are great to have a yarn with and you will be very happy in dealing with them.

AXL - my 5 year old daughter won the right to name the new rig in a family vote because, "beer batter goes well with all fish Dad!". Can't argue with her reasoning.

Happy new-year to you all. Not long to wait now........

levinge
01-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Not sleeping too well I bet Wal. Good to see all going well with her.

Let me know when you get her home, have to come around and take a gander...

BigMav
06-01-2010, 12:06 AM
BigMav - yeah, great boat at a great price. Now that you have been to the Tinnie Shack I'm sure you'll agree that Dean and Carla are great to have a yarn with and you will be very happy in dealing with them.

AXL - my 5 year old daughter won the right to name the new rig in a family vote because, "beer batter goes well with all fish Dad!". Can't argue with her reasoning.

Happy new-year to you all. Not long to wait now........

Unfortunately the shack was closed over the holiday period but I sneaked a look anyway, but yes they have been great with their communication over emails and phone conversations. Unfortunately they can't get me the same deal you received with the honda cashback promotion that was on and I think you just generally got very lucky with the timing as it is now many thousands more. I'm still deciding and will make the final decision when back in the country in April hopefully after a wet test it will help me make my mind up. I have a few other plate boats that have made the shortlist so it might end up being a case of whoever can get me the best price. Although a couple of on water tests should make it clearer. I'm sure you will be happy with your rig though the fit and finish is topnotch.

levinge
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Mav, where you based, Cairns or Townsville??

if your in Townsville and want to have a run in one of the Formosa Centre Cabs, let me know, I run a 580 (purchased through Tinnie Shack ). Happy to take you for a run so you can see them at work...