PDA

View Full Version : Haines Signature 702sb Comments

neilnsharon
31-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi all just after some comments on the Haines 702sb... looking at buying 2nd hand...I have only seen 702l in person but not the 702sb, but I like the look of the sb and the extra features...

1. Whats the fishability like in the 702sb (thats prob. most of what I will be doing...but mostly bottom bashing...trout...reds ect)

2. Kill tanks??? does the 702sb have them???

3. Eskey's or cold storage whats the 702sb got???

4. General storage areas in the 702SB what are they like???

5. How many person's could fish the 702SB???

6. Whats the 702sb ride like???

7. I like outboard any comments???

8. What could match the 702sb in the second hand market from 50-70k ???

9. We fish about 100km out do u think the 702sb is suited???

I have read a few reviews on the 702's but i like to hear real life stories....
Thanks
Neil

rat_catcher
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I compared the 702L vs 702SB when I was looking to buy and ended up going with the 702L for one big reason. I am 6' 1" and the way the helm is configured on the 702SB I could not stand up to drive the boat. I absolutely loved the interior space and the high driving position up from the cockpit, as well as the mid-cabin huge berth and enclosed head and shower, but I couldn't get past the poor driving position. The cockpit on the 702SB is definitely smaller then the 702L too.

neilnsharon
01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi rat_catcher a bloke told me that you dont have to stand in the sb bacause it is elavated and you have a great view around the boat???? Sitting down for 2 hours to the outer reef would be uncomfortable though!!!Thinking about autopilot anyhow????
So how's your 702l handle????

rat_catcher
02-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Yes I agree the driving position in the 702SB is elevated vs the 702L which does give you a great view, however I still believe there are definitely times where you will need to stand up to drive, not specifically for the view, but to absorb some of the impact with your knees when you get into rougher conditions, plus of course after a few hours sitting you will want to stretch your legs anyway.

As for the autopilot, I have one in my 702L but once again there are times where you have to hand steer because of the conditions. I have found that I generally use the autopilot in calmer conditions where I am comfortable seated anyway and when it gets rougher I stand up and hand steer. Hand steering also helps you hang on as you have something to hold! :D

I really liked the layout of the 702SB I looked at, but just couldn't get past the driving position for a guy my size. Of course you should try it out for size yourself.

As for handling of the 702L, I wouldn't say it is the best boat out there, but it is far from the worst. Remember it is a large lump of a boat at 7m and weighs over 3 tonnes on the trailer as well as having the Signature Variable Deadrise hull, so it should handle reasonably well. I also like the fact I feel like I am well 'inside' the boat and not on top of it, although this does make it a little harder to reach over and touch the water with your hands.

The only other comment I would make is that the windscreen and forecastle area is reasonably low to the water so sometimes you can take green water over the bow and it will run right up and over the screen. I wish the bow area and thus the screen was raised up a little higher for this reason.

Overall I am very happy with my boat and before I got shipped overseas for work I regularly took it 55Nm offshore on overnight trips.

BTW I have a tonne of pics of the 702SB I looked at, so if there is something specific you want to see let me know and I can post a pic or two.