PDA

View Full Version : Torqeedo leccy outboard????

Kleyny
30-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey guys,

The next door neighbour wants a leccy motor but wants one faster than my watersnake or another mates minnkota. Bit of a deemon at heart:P

He saw these at the boat show.

Has anyone had any dealings or know of anyone that has?

http://www.torqeedo.com.au/Torqeedo_Australia/Home.html

thanks

neil

Blackened
30-08-2009, 08:07 PM
G'day

Bias are stoking them, seem to be a quality unit..... but huge $$$

Dave

Mike Delisser
30-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I recon they're the duck's nuts if you're after a tiller steer.

Kleyny
31-08-2009, 03:43 PM
interested in the kind of speed they do.

neil

on-one
31-08-2009, 04:14 PM
There's a review in a magazine I have at home and he talks about it creating a bow-wave on a 3 metre inflatable but it being happier at lower speeds. I have a dinghy the same size which will plane with a 4hp 2 stroke.

platinummarine
31-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a blog on here that gives you some good information on the Torqeedo. They are a very good product and extremley efficient. Available in 2,6 and 9.9 Hp.

cormorant
01-09-2009, 01:11 AM
They are good and getting better but I don't think the price is coming down as they are not manufacturing enough. At a lower price they would be a great proposition and very convenient. Can only hope teh Aussie dollar goes balistic and more come here so ther ewill be a 2nd hand one for me in a couple of years.

Longer warranty would help in decision making as well.

Kayak model would be nice.

udlman
01-09-2009, 06:53 AM
I would like to see some real piccys on their website, not 3d renderings. They look quite ugly imo.

cormorant
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Quite compact and look OK in the flesh. Really slimline and wonderful the way they fold up for storage. Seroualy though even if they were ugly they are a good product that works and is lasting well OS from reports. Just need to be cheaper.

moater
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I wonder if these might be better?....http://www.rayeo.com/

Also I've seen instructions on the net for making an electric outboard that would be a hell of a lot cheaper!

foxx510
01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
The sound would drive me mad, give me a 4st over that any day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL8qXfvGvI

cormorant
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
They look good as well but with the weight and so on definately look like displacement only ??

Not sure with the noise . There is a gearbox behind the motor but it is all underwater. The one in the tset tank at the show wasn't noisy but wasn't under great load either. Maybe they need a soft mount to isolate it from the hull which is acting like a speaper??

Will try and get a test on one in a couple of months on water not in a tank and see what it is really like.

platinummarine
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
There is no comparison when it comes to Torqeedo . With eletric it comes down to efficiency and thrust and they are the most efficent electric outboard in the world.

It's like anything, you pay for what you get. 2x 9.9 will push a 40' sail catamaran at 8/9knots and for a cost of around $19,000 including batteries and solar power this is relative cheap compared to having two diesels that require fuel and servicing.

The 6 and 9Hp are submercible and will operate under water. The 2hp has 104lbs of thrust and will drive a 4.2m boat about 5knots at full speed. The 9.9hp will push a 5.2m boat at 1O knots.

Its a great altertative.
If you want to try one let me know.

moater
04-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Right,you say that there's no comparison etc and there's so much power but tell me a couple of things..for how long can these stated speeds be kept up before recharge?..how many batteries are needed??...what amp/type of batteries??...what sort of mileage can you get per charge??.

You fail to mention that electric craft are most efficient with displacement hulls & the standard planing hull is lousy to just attach an electric motor to and go..did you know this??

I don't doubt that these motors would be handy to have..setup properly on the correct boat,but your post comes across as a sales pitch without much substance.

A pic of a home-made one (not fully assembled so you can get the gist) ::)