PDA

View Full Version : 4S Yahama service costs... gasp

Strewth
28-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Just got slugged $600 for a 200hr service on my 4S 60HP Yammie. Thye replaced the impeller, the impeller casing and the thermostat. $350 for labour. Motor is in excellent condition and lives in a garage. Thought this cost was over the top to put it mildly. Would be interested to hear what others are paying.

Aunty Jack
28-08-2009, 09:10 AM
I dont know of the pricing,
But to me that sounds like Hwy robbery.
Who did the job did you get a quote.

Noelm
28-08-2009, 09:11 AM
that seems a bit high, but it is a very common thing for owners to get that sort of surprise at service time, I think (and I stress I have no idea if this is in anyway true) that people expect a 4 stroke to be expensive and difficult to service, so the dealer charges as much as they possibly can, and cop very little flack for it, because it was sort of expected. Mind you, if the service was properly done, then in the long run it is well worth it.

Noelm
28-08-2009, 09:12 AM
OH, and living in a garage and looking good has nothing to do with it, Oil changes and filters and water pumps and stuff don't know if they are in a shed or out in the rain!

Strewth
28-08-2009, 09:47 AM
OH, and living in a garage and looking good has nothing to do with it, Oil changes and filters and water pumps and stuff don't know if they are in a shed or out in the rain!

Sure, but my point was that there were no corrosion issues

Aunty Jack
28-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Ring around get some prices.
They dont have to be a yammaha shop for warrantey isue [do they]
if youve been taken to the cleaners let them know and go else ware.

cormorant
28-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Phone Yamaha and ask what the book hours are for a 200hr service on your motor. Get them to sed you a list of all the inspections and adjustments recommended at 200hrs.
What was the hourly labour charge the shop charged and surely there was more parts on teh list than that. Impeller housing after 200 hours? preventative perhaps, what was the issue with the old one or was it routine.

At least you know they actually did look in the thermostat housing.

Always get a quote or a estimate of hours and parts generally used.

No comment on the price as not sure what they have done yet.

Would be asking how much next services will be especially if cam belts , chain need changing.

Some dealers just charge what they can get away with, doesn't mean they don't do good work but can be hell on your pocket. Once they have you once and you don't queerie it or get a quote next time you are a patsie to be gouged. Just the way some people run their business. See what you can find out about book hours.

Mindi
28-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I have had a verbal quote for the same of about $300 from my dealer....so definitely sounds high to me.

welder
28-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Dude, you didn't get slugged, you got it in the Back Side with NO lube.

Get a Manual and do it your self from now on.

Spaniard_King
28-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Strewth,

What did you actaully get for your $$ ?

There is always going to be a big discrepancy in servicing some dealers do what is required and others do as what the service manual recommends, both could be worlds apart.

If your engine is an EFI model, did you get a computor print out of its runing History??

For all those visiting this thread how much would you value this type of service?? (computor Printout)

Mr__Bean
28-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you get the bits back?

If they replaced the impellor housing then it must have been burnt from running the engine without adequate water supply.

I just had my F225 serviced, $330 plus parts.

- Darren

FNQCairns
28-08-2009, 12:35 PM
$350 labour what's that? 3 hours?? those parts are expensive too, so you didn't get the filters/oils done? You need to do this the oil that Yamaha uses is relatively run of the mill, price is OK IMO if it also includes the oil's/filters.

cheers fnq

darkside
28-08-2009, 12:48 PM

I believe it lays testimony to the fact that the boat and motor are well cared for , because of the fact that they are stored in a shed as opposed to living on neglect and just left out in a paddock.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't have the luxury of being able to store their pride and joy in a garage. Given the opportunity most good owners would jump at the opportunity. But in saying that it is true that filters and oil don't realise they are inside or out. The point is it does seem fairly expensive for the service.

Strewth
28-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Here is the breakdown

Impeller 49.50
Impeller cartridge 29.90
Thermostat 81.00
fuel filter 25.00
Oil filter 22.50
Oil 25.00
Gear oil 9.50

Labour 350.00

Any comments?

lee8sec
28-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Did it list how many hours labour? Leigh

FNQCairns
28-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok then the impeller cartridge is the SS insert?? not the entire block.
Thermostat will use a gasket also..up to $20 + hopefully they took the time to clean poppets and the seating bits.

On my engine i could take 3 hours to do all that taking it easy.

Seriously IMHO if you did get overcharged then it is not by much say 15%.

cheers fnq

Strewth
28-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Did it list how many hours labour? Leigh

No hours were given.

fishing111
28-08-2009, 07:04 PM
My guess is that the present economic environment is not the best for selling big ticket items, and the boat yards a feeling it, therefore motor services are their mainstay at the moment.
I'd be looking into the possibility of a mobile guy next time.
$600 is more than a lot of people earn in a week for a few hours work, which seems excessive when put in that context. Yes i know overheads and the like....

stinky-stabi
28-08-2009, 07:31 PM
i reckon thats not to bad my 50hr service for my 60 4s efi was $450 owned it for 55hrs and cost me nearly a thousand in servicing from new ,,,,now no servicing for years 170hrs so far,no cost,!!!!
E-TEC !!!!!!!!

sharkymark2
28-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I think my first major service for the same motor cost 450. My wife has a BMW with 20000klm on the clock and it cost her 550. I think its highway robbery as well that they charge so much for a simple motor. When I go for my next service I will surely do the ring around.

Mr__Bean
28-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Why did they replace the thermostat?

And how the hell do they justify $81 for it?

A quick internet search shows they sell online for around USD 26.00.

- Darren

littlemac
28-08-2009, 10:25 PM
hi guys,

lets throw a spanner in the works here. its great to say service it your self and do it on the cheap.what a about warranty and so on. everybody is complaining about the labour charges, but know one ever complains about paying $350 for someone to clean the drains or swap a blown valve on the hot wayter system, or $150 to change the bloody seal on your oven or fridge.
what about $240 to put a couple of power points in. i know it sounds expensive but at least it was in the for a day not bloody 30 mins like these other guys.

sorry in advance for this but i had to say it.

cheers

brett

BM
29-08-2009, 08:01 AM
I think no matter which way you look at it the charges are over the top.

I would not charge that price for such a service. I charge about $350 for a V6 2 stroke.

The last 60hp 4 stroke I did (Merc) I think I charged the bloke $300. That was the usual items: plugs, engine oil, gear oil, impeller, drain washers, lube, oil and water filters. You didn't get new plugs by the look of the invoice.

Did you report an overheating or other temperature related issue? Thermostats don't give a lot of trouble generally.

A competent mechanic can complete a service in an hour if its a straightforward job and theres no interuptions.

Pricing in recent years seems to be getting out of hand and I guess its in part inflationary costs of everything but I think greed is creeping in too.

I would encourage all capable boat owners (when engine is out of warranty) to buy a genuine service manual and learn to service your own engine. Not only will it save your pocket but you will also learn how your engine functions so in the unlikely event that you have a brakedown on water you have a better chance than the next bloke at getting it up and running again.

If its a computer controlled engine that you own you can still service it yourself. Then if you "needed" a computer printout then you could whiz it down to the local dealer and have them hook up the computer and give you a printout.

cheers

Strewth
29-08-2009, 08:13 AM
No, I did not report a problem with overheating and was not consulted before the thermostat was replaced. I was told that it was malfunctioning at low temperatures, which could cause a loss of power when the motor was cold. I had noticed this on a few occasions, but it was a sporadic and minor issue which I did not report.

In their defence, they have ticked all the boxes on the standard Yamaha service sheet.

Is it standard practice to replace the impeller at the 200 hr service, or should it just be inspected? I flush the motor immediately after every trip for about 10 mins using the muffs.

BM
29-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Most repairers will replace an impeller annually. Thats fairly standard practice. Impellers will last longer than 12 months (could get up to 5yrs out of some of them) but if its changed annually there will definitely be no issues.

From a repairers perspective at least you know as the boat departs that its cooling system is guaranteed to be fine until the next service. If you inspected and refitted the original impeller it would leave you wondering about what if.

cheers

siegfried
29-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I think no matter which way you look at it the charges are over the top.

I would not charge that price for such a service. I charge about $350 for a V6 2 stroke.

The last 60hp 4 stroke I did (Merc) I think I charged the bloke $300. That was the usual items: plugs, engine oil, gear oil, impeller, drain washers, lube, oil and water filters. You didn't get new plugs by the look of the invoice.

Did you report an overheating or other temperature related issue? Thermostats don't give a lot of trouble generally.

A competent mechanic can complete a service in an hour if its a straightforward job and theres no interuptions.

Pricing in recent years seems to be getting out of hand and I guess its in part inflationary costs of everything but I think greed is creeping in too.

I would encourage all capable boat owners (when engine is out of warranty) to buy a genuine service manual and learn to service your own engine. Not only will it save your pocket but you will also learn how your engine functions so in the unlikely event that you have a brakedown on water you have a better chance than the next bloke at getting it up and running again.

If its a computer controlled engine that you own you can still service it yourself. Then if you "needed" a computer printout then you could whiz it down to the local dealer and have them hook up the computer and give you a printout.

cheersVery good advice for all 4 stk owners

black runner
29-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Here is the breakdown

Impeller 49.50
Impeller cartridge 29.90
Thermostat 81.00
fuel filter 25.00
Oil filter 22.50
Oil 25.00
Gear oil 9.50

Labour 350.00

Any comments?

I paid $345 for an annual service on my Yam 60efi 6 months ago. That was a Yamaha Platinum dealer. You were definately ripped off with the stat. I replaced mine as the original was stuck slightly open. From memory it was less than $60.

Here's what was done:

Oils and filters
Spark and compression test
Plugs checked but not replaced
retorque engine bolts
Check and adjust linkages
check and clean stat and housing
drop leg and check impellor and housing
remove prop clean and grease spline
Lube
battery and terminal clean
greased trailer
computer hookup
tank test

Here's what I paid

fuel filter 22 (merc quicksilver spin on)
Oil filter 16.55
Oil 22
Gear oil 17.60
sundries 10 (gaskets etc)
Labour 270.5
Discount -13.51 (loyalty member)

Maybe 450 - 500 would have been nearer the mark with the impellor, housing and stat. Labour shouldn't be any more as the stat and impeller housingsshould have been apart anyway

Cheers

Hazard
30-08-2009, 08:21 AM
That means you paid $250 for labour? Even at $25 per hour max, it seems they took 10 hours to do the job? That doesnt seem rght to me?

Haz.

Jeremy
30-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Even at $25 per hour max

Haz.

Know any good marine mechanics who charge $25 ph? I think $75 is the going rate!

Jeremy

Crocodile
30-08-2009, 05:01 PM
The parts are about $250 which by outboard motor standards is not too bad.
Labour at $350.00 seems a little high but at say $75.00/hour about 4.75 hours, maybe they had trouble getting the bolts undone, how long has it been since it had previously been serviced.
You say that they ticked all the boxes, how long would it take to grease and check etc. etc.
$75.00/hour would be a resonable figure by todays standards.
If you are really cross about it all, ask them how long it all took, were there any problems?

BR65
30-08-2009, 05:40 PM
400 bucks for the 200 hour on my 40 four stroke a couple of weeks ago.

Angla
30-08-2009, 05:51 PM
It is a tough call.

I have previously had a very expensive service on my motor but the second time I took it there I asked for a quotation and asked them to not look at the trailer at all as they can rack up more time there if work is a little scarse. They might also check things like trailer lights or nav lights for function if you do not specify that you are just after a Quoted Motor service with a phone call if they find extra expenses

Cheers
Chris

dop
30-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Strewth
Had my f60 200 hr serviced in March.
spark plugs-20
element assy,oil cleaner-18
impellor-41
racor filter-64
gear oil,workshopmaterials-20-
labour-service-260
Balance due-428
Regards
Peter

TheRealAndy
30-08-2009, 09:55 PM
MY last service (500hours) on f50 was close to to that. They replaced thermostat and impellor aswell. Also replaced plugs along with all the other filters.

I am happy to pay it to my mechanics, cause they dont just change the oil and plugs, but they also go through and regrease everything, pull off the anodes and clean them up, etc...

tin can marlin
31-08-2009, 01:55 PM
MY last service (500hours) on f50 was close to to that. They replaced thermostat and impellor aswell. Also replaced plugs along with all the other filters.

I am happy to pay it to my mechanics, cause they dont just change the oil and plugs, but they also go through and regrease everything, pull off the anodes and clean them up, etc...
Hi Mate sounds like you got good service were abouts was it done at.

bluefin59
31-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Just had my 60hp mariner 2 stroke done at Creek Marine at alderley

impeller $47.19
gearbox oil$12.00
fuel pump kit $13.31
fuel filter on the motor $15.51
external spin on filter on boat $20.00
3 spark plugs $18.00
sundries $10.00
labour and such $225.00

All up includeing G.S.T $430.11 which is the starting price now without part where i use to get it serviced ...matt

bigjimg
31-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Service on the 135hp Opti,12mth at 82.6hrs. 1;$Impella Kit $53
2;$Fuel Filter $ 61.45
3;2/Pressure relief gasket $7.20
4;Fuel filter spin on $22.50
5;2/Thermostat seal $5.80
6;Diaphram kit fuel pump $14.64
7;Gear oil $19.00
8;Shop supplies $3.00
9;Service charge $270
Check smart craft gauge for correct operation.Replaced clearance light on trailer found faulty no charge.$456.59
I did get three prices all of them over $600 and up to $685,all in Brisbane.Drove down to Southport and was still cheaper.It pays to shop around.Jim

TheRealAndy
31-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Mate sounds like you got good service were abouts was it done at.

That was at kratzmanns. They gave me a bag full of old parts back too. They replaced a few stainless bolts too, which I just assumed came with the impellor or thermostat kit or something. Anyhow, they look good and have been used elsewhere!

timddo
31-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I recently had a 100hr service from a mobile fella. ( motor is 2 years old)

Total cost of $360, including impella, gear oil, spark plugs, lube all grease points. Lube trailer bearing hubs. Change my fliter to a new filter with a tap on the bottom. water separator plus a few others.

all done in the comfy of my home garage. Now how much hasle is it to tow the boat to a dealer go home and then come back and collect the boat.

The good thing i actually know what is done. - it was completed in front of my eyes and also got a few pointers, But it's unlikly i will do it myself.

Thankyous to Rev's for putting me onto him.

Tim

cormorant
01-09-2009, 12:59 AM
How do mobile guys keep up to date with specific manufacturer issues and updates and get access to computer stuff?

Mobile guys have to account for travel time, time to collect parts?

What happens if they can't get a new part that day? Just replace the corroded thermostat after cleaning it? Does he use genuine parts?

There may be some good ones out there but many are just poor just lie some dealers. Hard to know if you have a good one but at least f=some factory back up at a dealer.

Really glad to read that some mpeople are getting good service and complete services from the shops they deal with. Over the years I have seen a lot of poor workmanship and no preventative stuff or good advice come out of some workshops yet they are still in business. Just shows how little the general public know and how much they will pay.

Hazard
02-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Know any good marine mechanics who charge $25 ph? I think $75 is the going rate!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I do in fact mate. My marine mechanic Dale, "PRECISION MARINE SERVICES" does.

He does the Newcastle lake Maquarie area. He only uses genuine parts, filters and oils, garantees his work and does warrenty work.

Haz.

cormorant
02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Mate I hope he works slow so he can stay in business. $25 even if cash is still a bit cheap for someone running a business but if you are a regular no hassle client all good. Always good to find someone you are happy with and who does a propper job. I have to admit that some clients i nmy business get a great rate as well as they are simple no hassle , will fit in between others and a lot are retired so are happy with odd hours and easy access undercover etc.

Like everything - you always think it is good until something goes wrong.