PDA

View Full Version : Powering a 4.55 Centre Console

DigitalSI
24-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I would like to do a poll to see what most of you out there would use to power a 4.55 Centre Console Plate Boat. 4mm Bottom, 3mm Sides. The boat will mostly be used on the Gold Coast to run out to the 36 & 50 line. Trolling very little and only during the spanish mack season. Choices are:

Etec 60HP
Honda 60HP
Suzuki 60HP
Yamaha 60HP

Skusto
24-08-2009, 05:27 PM
what ever your best dealer stocks then goes down to warrenty. every one swears by the yammy proven engine but then if u have to drive an hour just to get it serviced then it wouldnt be worth it in my eyes..

TJ Bear
24-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda then Yamaha for me

pedrodepacus
24-08-2009, 08:10 PM
i just put a 60 merc bigfoot on a 4.5 custom built platey

whatscracken
24-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I'd go the fuel injected yamaha mate, nothing comes close in the 60HP.

Greg P
24-08-2009, 09:11 PM
i just put a 60 merc bigfoot on a 4.5 custom built platey

Pedro - whats ball park for one of those units? Drop me a PM if you can?

Cheers

Greg

sooty_mad
25-08-2009, 07:07 AM
No doubt in my mind. The one that weighs the least which I am pretty sure would be the Yamaha.
Kind regards... David

dodgyone
25-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Yamaha certainly seems to have that size all sewn up.

It what I would choose.

stinky-stabi
25-08-2009, 07:25 AM
have had the yammy 60 efi 4s....have etec 90 now but would go the honda over the yammy any day....

boatie_72
25-08-2009, 08:26 AM
The New Suzuki weighs less then the Yamaha, But I must say I have had 2 of the 60 4 strokes and they would be at the top of my list. But I would be interested to try the new Suzuki.

DigitalSI
25-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I'd go the fuel injected yamaha mate, nothing comes close in the 60HP.

In what regard does nothing come close to the Yamaha 60HP for you?

DigitalSI
25-08-2009, 09:26 AM
No doubt in my mind. The one that weighs the least which I am pretty sure would be the Yamaha.
Kind regards... David

Etec = 109KG
Honda = 110KG
Suzuki = 104KG
Yamaha = 108KG

DigitalSI
25-08-2009, 09:27 AM
have had the yammy 60 efi 4s....have etec 90 now but would go the honda over the yammy any day....

Why would you go the Honda over the Yamaha?
Are you happy with the Etec 90HP you have now?

Noelm
25-08-2009, 09:41 AM
hhmm all almost the same weight, I reckon go for the best price you can find, from a dealer nearby who has a good name, forget all the I have a .... and so on, and get any of them.

stinky-stabi
25-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Why would you go the Honda over the Yamaha?
Are you happy with the Etec 90HP you have now?

only buy wot various mechanic's have said and from various owners with some of them on commercial boats racking up to 5000hrs trouble free, the honda cars go forever and they are a car motor at a 90% angle so ive been told,just cant wait till toyota bring out an outboard.lololol..dont get me wrong i love yamaha still a yammy owner(R1 m/c) an yes am happy with etec did have a problem with a switch which pissed me off but wot doesnt piss off when it stops you from going fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!

MyEscape
26-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Go for the best dealer service. The price you pay for the motor will be long forgotten when the dealer continues to give great service longafter the sale is made.

Steve

Ringoscar
26-08-2009, 03:11 PM
January availability for the 102kg Suzi DF60A, current engine is 60kg heavier.
New BF60 Honda has BLAST for good pick-up and goes well.
All-new Yamaha F70 some time in 2010 looks like the one.

STUIE63
26-08-2009, 03:29 PM
these fourstroke weights are they dry or wet weights
Stuie

Noelm
26-08-2009, 03:31 PM
nearly all 4 strokes are dry, similarly 2 strokes are also dry, no oil in oil container, some even cheat and do not include the prop, I reckon all models should be weighed ready to go, as in include a battery, control box and everything needed to make it go.

STUIE63
26-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Noel
now that would be an idea a true weight without the bull$hit
Stuie

charlieash
27-08-2009, 11:17 AM
after having been in boats running both yamaha and honda 60,s theres no comparison the 60 honda will be the bench mark all 60,s are judged bye .however if its price then you may go the yammie but i was abosulutely blowen away by the honda it may well be the best engine ive ever experienced

Bowser
28-08-2009, 06:59 PM
My answer is where I have put my dollars. Am just setting up a 4.6 centre console and bought the Yammie. I am doubtful about the Etec as i suspect, that being a 2 pot and also as Evinrude have said in some promotional material, will be a little rougher and show more vibration then the others. At this money I cannot accept that. The new Honda looks the goods but do you want to spend another 1500- 2 grand and the Suzi is still a bit of a no show. The Yammie has been THE motor for some time now and has proven reliability, 4 pot under stressed performance.

Mike Delisser
31-08-2009, 03:33 PM
As the happy owner of a 60hp 4 stroke Merc I think I can give you my unbias thoughts about the 60hp Yam, Suz, Honda & Etec. As far as the motor goes I recon you'd be very happy with any of those 4 strokes and probably happy with the Etec. The Yammy has been the benchmark in 60hp 4 strokes for a few years now but the Honda & the Suz have both taken things to a new level in this range. I guess it will come down to the deal you can get but if some one was offering me one of these outboards for free (inc Merc) I'd take the new Suzuki 60.
BTW what's the max hp for your new boat? will a 60hp be enough?
I have my 60 Merc on a 4.35 Bluefin and I recon it's only passable, some new models of my 4.35mtr boat are now rated to 75hp.
Cheers

tin can marlin
12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
after having been in boats running both yamaha and honda 60,s theres no comparison the 60 honda will be the bench mark all 60,s are judged bye .however if its price then you may go the yammie but i was abosulutely blowen away by the honda it may well be the best engine ive ever experienced
And waht would make you quilfied to make these comments are you a outboard mec etc.

oldboot
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
personaly i would be steering away from the everrude......just google etec problems........the merc adds just love to poke fun at various etec claims............plenty of advertising and plenty of endorsements.......then there is the price of the special oil you must use......and so on.

on the south side...there are two well known yamaha dealers....

I know of honda owners who drag their boats over the northside for service...hmmm

don't know the sizuki dealers.....but most of the government boats and the VMR's seem to run sizukis.

I costed a yamaha 60Hp 4 st...as a possible replacement......the 4 st was only a couple of hundred dearer than the 2

In my situation I'd be going Yamaha.......If I lived over the northside or in townsville the honda would be a more attractive proposition.

If I knew more about the sizuki dealers and there was a good one nearby that would sway me too.

Don't forget to consider the merc.

cheers

black runner
17-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Hi Charlie, I haven't had the opportunity to have a run in a boat with the new Honda 60. I run a Yammie 60 efi and would be keen to know objectively in which areas the Hondas have it over the opposition and to what degree.

One would expect improvements in a newly developed motor compared to the efi Yammie model which is now 5 years old.

Direct injection 4 strokes will be the next major advance as I see it.

Cheers

finding_time
17-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Lets think about this for a bit

Weights ? wet or dry does it really make a differance, we are only talking 2 litres of oil in the yami , so around 2 kg , is 2 kg going to make much of a differance???? The suzukui is about 5kg lighter across the range!

What i think is important is listed below

E-tec is a 2 cylinder 863cc engine
Honda is a 3 cylinder 998cc engine
Suzuki is a 3 cylinder 941cc engine
Yamaha is a 4 cylinder 996cc engine

To my way of thinking the e-tec is out , only 2 cylinders for no weight advantage, i'm suprised they sell any. Then it's pretty much a cost issue imho as although the yami is a 4 cylinder engine i think 3's fine in this hp, weights are close to equal, so i think it comes down to price and the advantages any particular dealer has in your area!

Ian

Ps. I have 2 yami 60's 4 strokes on the cat but would be happy with the honda's , or the suzukis, the yamis have been great though!
Yami is a 4 cylinder 996cc engine

Spaniard_King
18-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Ian

Ps. I have 2 yami 60's 4 strokes on the cat but would be happy with the honda's , or the suzukis, the yamis have been great though!
Yami is a 4 cylinder 996cc engine

Ian I regret to inform you but you now have Yamonda's on that 5.2;)

finding_time
18-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Yep that they are , you realize why i hang around while you do the services dont you? I seen that can of silver paint and honda decals that you have waiting for my engines the moment i turn my back!!!

ian

charlieash
19-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Charlie, I haven't had the opportunity to have a run in a boat with the new Honda 60. I run a Yammie 60 efi and would be keen to know objectively in which areas the Hondas have it over the opposition and to what degree.

One would expect improvements in a newly developed motor compared to the efi Yammie model which is now 5 years old.

Direct injection 4 strokes will be the next major advance as I see it.

Cheers
The main difference i can talk about is performance and power having been in boats with other 60 four strokes .Theres a world of difference the honda almost crosses the bridge between four stokes and two strokes . it jumped the boat out of the hole and did everthing right. havnt done fuel test so wont comment but ti was smooth and quite plus i think the hondas have an extra 2 yrs warranty on the yammies and mercs. thats about all i got cheers

DTHCoCo
19-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I've got the 60hp etec and love it. No problems so far but 7yr warranty is a great. Recommend it, I like the simplicity of a 2 stroke less things to go wrong.

Sheik
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
My second last tinny had a 60 yamie, the last one a 60 merc, both 4stroke.
Without being a tech head, i reckon the yammie was quieter, but hte merc was more fuel efficient. only put 100-150 hours on either so wasn't that much work but i would have either. both have heaps of services to do so that's a cost that you need to look at.

tin can marlin
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
60 yammie 4 stroke hard combo to go past let the ausfish family know how you end up.

TheRealAndy
03-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I've got the 60hp etec and love it. No problems so far but 7yr warranty is a great. Recommend it, I like the simplicity of a 2 stroke less things to go wrong.

Hah, they are all about as simple as each other now. The old carby stink bomb 2 strokes may have been more simple, but not once you start putting injectors in.

I have driven boats with 50hp yam, 50hp honda and 50hp merc. Merc would go to the bottom of my list cause of problems. Honda and Yam both the same. Etec cant comment, but I doubt it would be any different to the others.

deckie
04-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Why restrict yourself ?

There's a very real underground move back to carby's...it started when i oiled up the plug on my victa and it reminded me how much i luv the smell of 2 smoke in the morning.
Dawn at the ramp just isnt the same without that eerie yet somehow beautiful smoke cloud that seems to sit like a fog dancing on the water in the chilly still moring air. The sweet sound of V4's suddenly firing after 12 cranks then being over revved to the shitter whilst the trailer is parked. That sound of grunt being revved by dork is like music to my ears. Then opening it up and tearing up Pittwater yelling at the top of your lungs at the guy next to you about whether to bother using up time dragging some lures on the way to your mark. Then arriving on a glassy calm sea, backing off the throttle and having that faint wiff of smoke waft up your nostrils...as if to say..its ON !!

For a 4.5m tinnie ?...be a real man....embrace the extra torque and horsepower, whack a real donk on it and you can even save a bit of cash up front, plus save a motza by being able to fix any issue yourself and not feed $700 a pop just to have its knob polished.

At 105kg, ye olde 70 Yammie 2 stk will blitz all these powder puff, mamby pamby, squat to piss pretend donks u listed. Just do it man...u know u want to.
Smokin is back baby !!!

shanejohnson
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
love ya work decki. under 70hp like this thinking

the baker
04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
YAMAHA 60HP....... there is no other

Spaniard_King
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
YAMAHA 60HP....... there is no other

yer there is mate.. you just own any of them :-*

seahound
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Just repowered a 445 hornet with a new 60 honda with the 75/90 gearbox from a carbied 60 yammie.

yammie was quieter...but the honda has more intestinal fortitude. maybe its the prop its swinging...? Is a tuned 15" solas....or the BLAST.

One up can just about get the thing to jump out of the water from 15 knot cruise to WOT.

The Honda also seems to have more vibration at idle than the yammie.
Honda is a 3cyl.

Its honda or yammie for me...go for dealer support to pick which one.

For resale 4s hard to beat. got $6k trade on the yammie with 450hrs...

unchainedjenner
08-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I've got the Suzuki df60a on my 450 topender , got to say the torque it produces from the moment you hit the throttle is very impressive, makes the boat jump out of the water, does 57 kmh loaded up. I've got to say I think the old yammie 60 4 stroke is being left behind, they need to bring in a new model to match the new Suzuki and Honda for tourqe and power out of the hole.

deckie
08-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Checked out a few of these at the boat show last week. Was a little surpised at the Suzuki ...i looked at the 60 and the capacity said something like 980cc, then looked at the 50 and it said identical at 980 cc or whatever. No worries...but then i looked at the 40, yepp 980 cc same motor. Didnt fill me with coinfidence for its longevity. Their 40hp is prob a great donk. The yammie 60 is a tried and tested gun but now getting on in terms of tech and cant see why they would've spent any money on its further development when they knew they were bringing out a 70 that is the same weight..even if it is a tricked out 60. The Honda 60 as far as i can tell is an all brand new tech designated and purpose built 60hp donk thats got a weight advantage too.

unchainedjenner
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
the suzuki 50 and 40 hp motors are detuned 60's released after the 60 was.

This is normal pratice with outboard manufactures IE: yamaha F50 , F60 , F70 all the same motor. going on your reasoning the Yamaha F70 will blow up soon because it a tricked up 60.

The new model 60's are making the Yamaha 60 look tired and old. I think they could do with a new model. they are very old.

I have two mates with yamaha 60's and even they are impressed with the suzuki, they cant keep up to me anymore.

NAGG
08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
A couple of great motors there (Suzuki & Honda) - If you were looking at a 60HP it would be hard to go past them (depending on cost). Yes the Yamaha 60 is getting long in the tooth specially in light of the F70 -
Does anyone have the RRP pricing on them (Honda , Suzuki 60s) ?

Chris

unchainedjenner
13-08-2011, 03:36 PM
The Suzuki 60 is around 10K.

NAGG
13-08-2011, 04:26 PM
The Suzuki 60 is around 10K.

thanks for that ..... the usual online sources dont publish the prices for Suzuki

Chris

Camhawk88
23-08-2011, 01:57 PM
For a 4.5m tinnie ?...be a real man....embrace the extra torque and horsepower, whack a real donk on it and you can even save a bit of cash up front, plus save a motza by being able to fix any issue yourself and not feed $700 a pop just to have its knob polished.

Decki you're paying too much for a polish mate. Walk the right streets and you should get change out of a rock lobster ;-)