PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a 4 stroke 250 or 225 in a Suzuki or Yamaha. Fuel Economy question?

balls_deep
24-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi all. Im heading to the Brisbane boat show this weekend and am wanting to buy an engine there hopefully. Im getting a 7.5m 'Rebel' plate boat built and am thinking about putting either a 250 suzuki on it or a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke on it. Has anyone got one of these engines on a similar size boat, Im just curious which one is more fuel efficient. Would a 225hp Yamaha be sufficient for this boat? Any feedback from anyone with a simlar size boat would be good. I would love to hear about how your boat handles with your engine size, in regards to power and fuel efficieny.
Cheers!!!

bennyboy
24-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Have a look at the Yamaha website it has a range of power reports, you should be able to make a comparison of a similar boat

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/marine/index.htm?range.asp?therange=fs

backlash08
24-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I have a 7M platey with a 250 suk, very happy with it and glad I went with the 250, I get around 1klm to the litre, a little better actually but as round numbers thats close enough

Noelm
24-08-2009, 03:14 PM
don't think it will make any difference which brand you buy, any 250HP fuel injected 4 stroke will use about the same, regardless of brand, get the most HP you can afford that will safely suit your boat, the difference in fuel on (say) a 225HP and a 250 will half of bugger all, skimp on HP now and you will surely regret it later.

Noelm
24-08-2009, 03:18 PM
just as a guide, when I did a comparison of a few motors some time back, I got all the manufacturers figures (which are rubbery at best) then all the figures from any boat tests I could find, added them all together (for the same motor) and averaged them all, thinking that the manufacturers would stretch consumption to suit their motor, testers might give one a bit more, and hide some others, depending on advertising dollars, so the average was the best I could come up with without owning every brand on the market.

Mr__Bean
24-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a Yammy F225 behind an 8 metre platey, it does the job fine but if I was forced to buy a new engine I would probably look at the 250.

I too get around 1 kilometer per litre, generally speaking. If I was to push it hard I would use more, if I was to slow down a bit I would get better.

Details:

Propellor: I have a four blade Solas 17 inch pitch which does give me a good grip on the water. At 17 inch I easlily hit the rev limiter at full throttle (6100 rpm) but it hasn't been propped for speed it has been propped so that if I have a full load in the boat then it won't labor the engine. Out of the hole is good for a four stroke.

Speed: Max 34 knots at which the speed limiter kicks in. Whilst not super fast it has been enough for me to get 8 metres of aluminium clear out of the water (engine and all) over some good swell.

As mentioned earlier I didn't go for speed I went for grip and acceleration. Something that has worked for me when I have got things wrong and needed it (running from big waves behind you).

Brand: I picked on price and service, when I lived in Victoria Yammy were everywhere so parts and experience etc were easy.

Today I would be happy again with Yammy, would happily buy Suzuki and would also look at Honda.

To me the Merc Verado is too complex for the same amount of horsepower if you don't need the low down power pulling skiers etc, also too thirsty in the upper range. My Yammy will use around 75 litres per hour WOT and I think the Verado is up around or over 100.

- Darren

megafish71
25-08-2009, 03:10 PM

To me the Merc Verado is too complex for the same amount of horsepower if you don't need the low down power pulling skiers etc, also too thirsty in the upper range. My Yammy will use around 75 litres per hour WOT and I think the Verado is up around or over 100.

- Darren

Sorry but I can't agree with you here, crusing my 275 Verado pushing my 7.2mtr platey is giving better milage than my 200hp 4banger yamy on a Yalta 615 odessa. In the upper range my Verado will burn close to 95lts per hour, but the yamy would burn 80lts per hour and it was 75hp less.

Suzi, Yamy, Honda and Verado will all serve you well, best to go with which dealler you feel will look after you and your engine the best.

Good luck with it all
Cheers Ron

Crocodile
25-08-2009, 04:01 PM
To me it is like the price of a Rolls Royce.
If you have to ask it is too much.
To get this clear, you are spending $????? on a boat and you are worried about a few bucks on petrol !!!!!!.
To a mere mortal like me, you have the kind of problem that I dream of.
Good luck with whatever you buy, I am sure that they are all wonderful motors.

ozbee
25-08-2009, 04:26 PM
its a fair size boat so go with the biggest cubes which would hold load better. all good motors

Mr__Bean
25-08-2009, 04:51 PM
To me it is like the price of a Rolls Royce.
If you have to ask it is too much.
To get this clear, you are spending $????? on a boat and you are worried about a few bucks on petrol !!!!!!.
To a mere mortal like me, you have the kind of problem that I dream of.
Good luck with whatever you buy, I am sure that they are all wonderful motors.

Do keep in mind that it isn't always the cost of the fuel, it is the range you can safely plan on having.

When out on a big trip we fill the tank (300 litres) and take an additional 160 litres in jerry cans.

Fuel burn calculations are critical in planning.

Mega, your situation seems to work for you. Bigger boat and proportional increase in fuel burn at cruise.

My comment was based around litres per hour for the horsepower you get. To get the 225 horsepower both engines need to be at or around their top RPM. The equivelant Verado is said to use around 100 litres per hour to get the 225 horses, the Yammy uses around 75 litres per hour to get the same horses (regardless of boat and speed etc).

- Darren

balls_deep
25-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes the range is what I am after not to concerned about the price of petrol cheers Darren