PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu 40hp help

grumpy221
23-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi folks a friend has a Tohatsu 40hp 2cyl tiller steer it hasnt been started for awhile. When we took the cowl off rodants have chewed the wires around the coils and rectifer so we repaired them but all we got was smoke and fryed wires couldnt see a short anywhere I need to see a wiring diagram for this thing and hope i havent cooked the coils. Any one got a service manual ????Cheers Paul

dreemon
23-08-2009, 06:41 PM
DAMMED VERMIN ! ! ! ,, so many things to deal with like rot, corrosion, rust and now rats !

you either need to get a manual, or you could go to your local library, but someone might be able to help , what year is it ?

Moonlighter
24-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Grumpy

Where are you located - can refer you to an excellent Tohatsu mobile mechanic if located Brisbane Shtside.

Cheers

ML

Jarrah Jack
24-08-2009, 09:18 PM
There is an American forum called marine engine . com that sells the seloc engine manual for most engines, both the book version and online. Well worth a look IMHO. It also sells parts and supplies advice.

grumpy221
27-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Grumpy

Where are you located - can refer you to an excellent Tohatsu mobile mechanic if located Brisbane Shtside.

Cheers

ML

Cheers on the north side found a manual online goin to replace the rectifier see if that helps just have to find some one local with the parts ???????

Noelm
28-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I was never a fan of repairing those sort of wires/electronics on outboards, they always seem to fail the not so distant future, salt and vibration and stuff brings them undone every time!

cormorant
28-08-2009, 10:12 AM
If it is the complete lot of wires gone I would call a wrecker and try and get a 2nd hand harness. The original wires have always lasted longer in my opinion as well.

It is realy hard to keep rodents away - we had cars done years ago and they were written off.

Check if it comes under house or boat insurance as it won't be a real cheap or easy fix

big moose
29-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Try holt marine a mate had some toey work done there was very happy
regds gary