PDA

View Full Version : 5.6m Markham Dominator?????

Lovey80
22-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey another call to all those cats fans out there.

After hearing all the bad stuff about the 7m Rollinator I had not even considered a Markham. Today I saw a 5.6m Canyon runner and liked the look of it so I thought I would ask the question.

What are they like? Should I put them in as a contender? Are they a potential design risk like the 7m Dominator? Any one owned one? Size fuel tanks etc? any comments what so ever are welcome.

I also saw a cream 5.2KC at a Marine shop on old cleveland road today getting work done. It had the power head off its Starboard side 75hp Etec :o :o :o

Looked like a great little boat with small seatboxes and a large centre consol esky with a game chair mounted.

Back to the original questions the 5.6m Markham...... I know John Bouy is very happy with his mini Markham so should I take the 5.6m into consideration?

Cheers

Chris

Lovey80
22-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Nothing? I'll settle for uneducated comments to start with?

rodneyk
23-08-2009, 07:45 AM
you did ask for it buy a cruise craft seafarer haines hunter or haines signature whittley sea legend ;D

John Buoy
23-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Can't help ya Lovey BUT

If it handles as well as it's smaller brother you will be stoked.
The beauty here is getting your hands on a later model craft
with all the mod cons for only a few bucks more.

A 5.6 with twin 90 4's would be perfect

Frank

Darren J
24-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Chris,
I had been thinking of asking the same question. I have a Seafarer Viking 17 and have pretty much decided that a cat is the right upgrade for me, with a bias towards a 5.6 Markham.
Am also keen on Kevlacats (1900 or maybe 2100) but there is something about the Markhams layout/deck/transom walk through that I really liked. The 5.6 seems to fall somewhere between the 1900 and 2100 in size, and seeems like a nice compromise.
Would people agree that they seem a slightly larger boat than the Kcat 1900??

I have downloaded all the reviews available etc, but can't find any real reports form current owners. PM me if you want me to emal the reviews, but they are the general ones you will ind with a google serch).

I nearly bought a 2002 model early this year, but a deposit had been taken. There was also a 2007 model with honda 90's and about 50 hrs that I believe ended up going for low $60's from what the owner told me after it was sold. Was listed at $70k (out of my udget at the time), Loking back I would have bought this boat if I realised the seller was keen, and after looking at whats available for the last 6 months.

What would be really good is comparison between any Kcat 1900 owners (or 2100) that have actualy had any reasonabe time in both?????

cheers,
Darren
Al the 7m roll over hype seems to have left a nasty taste for a lot of peole regardig the Markhams, and I wonder whether this doesn't help regarding price.

Darren J
24-08-2009, 06:08 PM
PS. I have also heard reports of some Kevlacats having problems with fine cracks to gel coat ans hulls. I am aware first hand of a 2400 about 2 years old that has this problem. Repaired under warranty but not something I would want to find in a second hand boat. Have also read somewhere on Ausfish of a 2100 I think that was being repaired at some time in the past for similar reasons. in both instances seemed to refer to the glass being very thin in the problem areas.
K'cats comment re the 2400 seemed to be based around "being driven to hard". i understand the boat in question was never treated any differently to typical, definately not abused.

Is there any body else who is aware of some of these issues? I assume they are rare due to the number of happy Kcat owners.

Darren

Outer Edge
24-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Lovey80,

I was part of the 7m rollinator saga a few years ago and was in the vessell when it rolled. The only feedback i can give is all boats are not the same EG: App the 5.2 KC is better then the 6.5 KC and possibly the 5.6 Dominator could be better then the 7m Dominator. Its very unlikely but who knows!! I can tell you keep right away from the 7mD only from exp.

I also thought the 7M Dominator banged hard in the head sea, but who knows about the 5.6.

Good luck with your choice.

Outer Edge

John Buoy
24-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi Chris,
I had been thinking of asking the same question. I have a Seafarer Viking 17 and have pretty much decided that a cat is the right upgrade for me, with a bias towards a 5.6 Markham.
Am also keen on Kevlacats (1900 or maybe 2100) but there is something about the Markhams layout/deck/transom walk through that I really liked. The 5.6 seems to fall somewhere between the 1900 and 2100 in size, and seeems like a nice compromise.
Would people agree that they seem a slightly larger boat than the Kcat 1900??

I have downloaded all the reviews available etc, but can't find any real reports form current owners. PM me if you want me to emal the reviews, but they are the general ones you will ind with a google serch).

I nearly bought a 2002 model early this year, but a deposit had been taken. There was also a 2007 model with honda 90's and about 50 hrs that I believe ended up going for low $60's from what the owner told me after it was sold. Was listed at $70k (out of my udget at the time), Loking back I would have bought this boat if I realised the seller was keen, and after looking at whats available for the last 6 months.

What would be really good is comparison between any Kcat 1900 owners (or 2100) that have actualy had any reasonabe time in both?????

cheers,
Darren
Al the 7m roll over hype seems to have left a nasty taste for a lot of peole regardig the Markhams, and I wonder whether this doesn't help regarding price.

Gday Darren regarding the roll over hype i suppose it probably has tarnished a few minds out but after speaking an influential figure who
gave me a good run down on the facts i am at ease.
Lets leave it at that except the fact that when a NSW based company
tries and inflict sales in a QLD market something is gunna give
Esecially in cats :-X

Also the fact is that well over triple figures sales of 7-9 mts version have been
built in recent years and i dont see many for sale with low hrs if this
was the case.

Personally i know how the 4900 handle and cannot foresee any reason why the 5600 wouldn't perform as good if not better.
As you mention they are a great fit out and every time i do a mod
on my boat and get into the nooks and crannys i realise how much effort has gone into producing them.
I would definately not hesitate in purchasing a 5.6 version ;)

Regards frank

Darren J
24-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Frank,
I agree. I dodn't want to re-ignite the 7m discussion. I actually look at it as a good thing in terms of market value if it helps me get into a better boat for a bit less cost. Stil seems to be very few real views on the 5.6. From all the reviews by reputable journos that I have readthey get praise certainly as much as KC and probably more than some of the late 90's Noosa Cats.

Would still like to hear any opinionsthat i hope reconfirm the good things i have heard/read.

Darren

John Buoy
24-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Frank,
I dodn't want to re-ignite the 7m discussion.

Darren
Neither do i for that matter.
Intesting point from all of the above is that sales for new
Dominators under 7m have been quiet yet the larger versions
are full steam ahead..
I also would luv to hear from any 5600 owner
You gotta luv this version
8100 Patrol cab

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2406/markham8100.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/markham8100.jpg/)

Regards Frank

Darren J
24-08-2009, 08:08 PM
They are nice!!. Given the relative cost of the smaller models I actually started considering bigger.... Have a tow vehicle to 3t which might be a bit light on maybe, but storage becomes an even bigger problem... Then running cost, maintenance etc and have to convince the other half bigger is just as easy to put in the water.

Have been on a friends 88 model 5m Sharkcat "Sportsmen" and it has kind of convinced me a tiny bit larger will suit. Is also the Markham 6300 (I think, now called 7300), but apparently very few ever made. Is one on boat point for a long while, but the owner is in o hurry to sell, and I think there are better later model deals going around in the larger boats.

Its as though people either go practical, ie 1900 KC or 5m Markham or just decide big is big and opt for 2400's or 7m... But not in between as much?

cheers,
Darren

Lovey80
24-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Outer Edge,

yeh mate I have read your thread a few times and it is the main reason i havent even been searching for Markhams. I think the banging in the head sea would have largely been due to the donks being tucked right under....do you agree?

Darren,

a 2007 model with 90hp Hondas with low hours at low 60s would certainly tempt me to pull the trigger. If one comes up with those specs feel free to let me know.

Cheers

Chris

Darren J
24-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Exactly my thoughts. I watched that for a while at $70k, but though no, out of my budget. Only when I was 90% sure on buying a cheaper 02 model that i called the guy, just to compare, not to buy. Discovered it had just sold, he told me $6k less than listed. i then realised he had already dropped the price back to $68 for a while. I asusme for that discussion that it went in the early $60's. God buying I think. Had 585 sounder etc, all the right bits and immaculate.

Darren

Greg P
24-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Frank - those 7m Rollinators just dont do it Qld mate. You better check that one at the door 8-)8-) Happened plenty of other places around Oz.

They dont even make my $hitlist for my next upgrade. The 5.6m looks well set up in the Canyon Runner form but thanks but no thank on owning one for me.

John Buoy
25-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Frank - those 7m Rollinators just dont do it Qld mate. You better check that one at the door 8-)8-) Happened plenty of other places around Oz.

They dont even make my $hitlist for my next upgrade. The 5.6m looks well set up in the Canyon Runner form but thanks but no thank on owning one for me.
Maybe you should get a ride in one and check it out for yourself ;D

Seems to be like State of Origin Cat manafacturers ;D ;D

Regards frank

Smithy
25-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Lots of rumour and inuendo about the 7m patrol cab versions they sent to the NSW Water Police at one stage I thought which was also leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. That said, Mark Hookem was one of only three manufacturers who got back to me when I sent heaps of letters off asking about getting something built in survey. Lindsay Fry from Seafarer was one and Edencraft as well but Edencraft couldn't get it through their heads I wanted something in Qld 2C Inshore survey.

I'd PM Yknot or Y-knot or something on here. Seith had one. A 5.6m with twin Merc 90 2 strokes. There were a few delivery issues with bilge pumps and stuff I think in its early days but it was a rush job that got delivered on Christmas Eve which could have accounted for that. He has gone back to a 560HH, I guess cause he is a shift worker and can't always get a big crew to go out and the cost of a single donk and maybe just picking better weather to go out in. You certainly lose a lot of fishing room with the engine cut-out arrangement in them. There would have to be miles more fishing room in a 5.2KC for instance.

Noelm
25-08-2009, 08:58 AM
not too sure they made all that many of them, which could explain the lack of first hand owners comments compared to other models and brands, but I guess no one has bagged them, so they must be OK at least.

John Buoy
25-08-2009, 09:44 AM
not too sure they made all that many of them, which could explain the lack of first hand owners comments compared to other models and brands, but I guess no one has bagged them, so they must be OK at least.

Very true Noel and those that have bagged them dont own one
or possibly been in one with an experienced skipper !!
The pubicity surround the 7m versions has no conclusions as far as i'm
aware and yes i have re read the 26 odd pages re Rollinator thread
and tho Kerry gave everyone the Shytes he did make some very valid
points as did Grand Marlin who i chew over the fat of every word he posts!!

Personally i'm still not convinced of the outcome however i would like to point out
that a vessell that sells for 150k+ isn't purchased by a fool and
if it didn't perform Markham would have been out the door back in 06
and more importantly the market would have been flooded
with 5-8mts versions which isn't the case.

Regards frank

Greg P
25-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Maybe you should get a ride in one and check it out for yourself ;D

Seems to be like State of Origin Cat manafacturers ;D ;D

Regards frank

Not sure if you are trying to be a smart a there Frank but maybe you need to take the blinkers off. I have been in my cousin's 7m Dominator plenty of times and I dont rate them - simple as that. You must like them - you bought one of the baby ones ;);D;D;D;D

John Buoy
25-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Not sure if you are trying to be a smart a there Frank but maybe you need to take the blinkers off. I have been in my cousin's 7m Dominator plenty of times and I dont rate them - simple as that. You must like them - you bought one of the baby ones ;);D;D;D;D
Not trying to be smart Greg as it gets you no where.
My apologies if it came across this way :-[

The state of origin remark was referring to the rollinator thread
and i dont doubt that manafaturers come on these boards and post crap
to get a heads up on the competitor.
After being involved in cats from 5- 7.5mts most of my boating life
i can guarantee you the blinkers are off
I like to think i call a spade a spade. ;)

Regards Frank

Noelm
25-08-2009, 03:06 PM
if it didn't perform Markham would have been out the door back in 06
and more importantly the market would have been flooded
with 5-8mts versions which isn't the case.

Regards frank
maybe they all flipped over and sank!!, just joking, sorry.

legsy11
25-08-2009, 06:48 PM
i see the mayor of redcliffe is selling/has sold his 7 m rollinator and buying himself a stinky stabicraft 769 or thereabouts.
said he wanted to feel safe with the family on board?

legsy11
25-08-2009, 06:52 PM
i too would love to go out for a tripin a 5.6 to see what their like.they seem to have good dimensions for their size and well powered too.
dont think you can compare any boat that is over a metre longer in length to another baot,whether from the same maker or not.
i know for a fact that a 2300 noosacat is ten times the boat that the 5.6nc/sc is or was.

Lovey80
26-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I want a boat with a cab like the patrol cab. I wish KC would do something like that in their trailerable models.

Right now after looking at all the boats I have done to this point if I were to buy new and cash wasn't an issue....(i dont have 150k right now) I would certainly be buying a 7m Coastal cat. It has everything I want in a cat...... nice big enclosed cabin, walk through transom, lightly powered, large fuel tanks and from what i hear they have a great ride. Problem is there isnt many of them around and those that have them dont seem to get rid of them.

I am really getting to the stage where I will stop looking constantly for a big boat and put the cash aside until I can call bob and say lets start the build. As keen as I am to buy a decent offshore rig Im getting tired of looking at boats that are so overpriced considering age, hours etc.

Other than the 76k 1900kc that was well fitted out that I missed out on (wasnt prepared to get a loan for a boat) Julian's 660 Sharkcat is the only boat that I have seen that looks value for money and it's not exactly what I am after (bloody nice rig though).

Other than putting the cash I have right now on a 2-1 nag it looks like ill be waiting a while before I purchase at this stage.

Cheers

Chris

julian1
26-08-2009, 10:16 AM
"Other than the 76k 1900kc that was well fitted out that I missed out on (wasnt prepared to get a loan for a boat) Julian's 660 Sharkcat is the only boat that I have seen that looks value for money and it's not exactly what I am after (bloody nice rig though)."

its a Noosacat 660 (2300) remember :) , ;D !!! but anyone please feel free to buy it, as the replacement will be here very soon :o !!!

Maccas
26-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Julian,what are you replacing it with?

Lovey,

Buy a KC5.2 and get a hardtop made for it. I have one on mine and it's really good, no leaks and great visibility.

Cheers,

Maccas

julian1
26-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Cheers,

Maccas

another Noosacat ;D but a 2700 with enclosed hardtop :o

Greg P
26-08-2009, 06:42 PM
another Noosacat ;D but a 2700 with enclosed hardtop :o

Sounds very nice Julian. If it is a newie what have Noosacat been like to deal with if you dont mind?

Cheers

Greg

Lovey80
26-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Lovey,

Buy a KC5.2 and get a hardtop made for it. I have one on mine and it's really good, no leaks and great visibility.

Cheers,

Maccas

That was certainly my plan for a long time. I cant seem to find one at a decent price. Im certainly not paying 60k for a 20 year old boat with 2 strokes on it. What ever boat I do end up with if it doesn't already have a hard top it will not long after I buy it. I plan on getting full glass windows so I can set up wipers for those days where it gets nasty. What donks do you have on yours?

Cheers

Chris

Maccas
27-08-2009, 01:15 AM
I have 70hp Yammy 2 strokes on mine but have only done 140 hrs. I didn't pay 60K for it either. They are hard to find second hand but sometimes you have to look harder or be in the right place at the right time. I saw mine on the Trading Post internet site but I spent a lot of time on the internet. I saw one in the newspaper on Sat over here in WA but if you buy here you have to add freight just like I had to when I got mine from NSW. At least you are closer to where most of them are, even if there aren't many for sale at a realistic price. Keep looking as surely one will come up that will suit you. You just have to be ready. If you're interested I will PM you if I see one for sale over here.

Cheers,

Maccas

Lovey80
27-08-2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks mate I would love to get PM's from anyone that see's a KC come onto the market. Any cat for that matter.

Cheers

Chris

Ynot560
28-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Chris,

Mate I had Markham 560 which I sold back in 06 it was an 02 model with 90 merc's 2 strokes, it was an awesome boat for its size. I would still have it if the missus didn't give up work and have kids. It was my first cat that I had driven and it did take some getting use to but after you do you can certainly drive them thru some nasty conditions. The ride heading square into a head sea is much like any cat but if you are able to change the course a little it's no worries. there was no misting what so ever in mine, very stable at rest but did sit a little low in the back at rest (but I had an 80L live bait tank in the rear). I had mine setup a little different with twin 120L seat boxes, twin batteries located in the starboard rear compartment and the bait tank in the port rear corner. The box under the driver housed all the ground tacke and the passsenger box was an insulated esky. The Markham factory was very helpful in this change.
I did however have one mishap that Smithy pointed out, which was the live bait pump hose came off the pump. This was located inside the rear pod (hull) this was caused from the pre delivery fitup (the hose clamp was not done up correctly over the hose tail) which blew off when the pressure built up when the tap had been turned off. The rear section of the hull filled with water (small area not foam filled) scared the shit out of us untill the problem was located.
I have also been in a commander cat and would rate the ride very similar but the markham is much drier. The Markham is a very dry boat I had a a canvas top with clears, and the clears were always open in all the conditions I fished in. I'll try and dig out some old pics.
Hope i've been of some help.
Cheers
Seith

Lovey80
29-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks mate pics would be good

julian1
31-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds very nice Julian. If it is a newie what have Noosacat been like to deal with if you dont mind?

Cheers

Greg

Nah secondhand, but i know what your saying when you mention what are they like to deal with !!:P they are actually good when you can get to speak with Wayne as he is very passionate but you have to get past the door b%$ch's :-X

John Buoy
31-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Nah secondhand, but i know what your saying when you mention what are they like to deal with !!:P they are actually good when you can get to speak with Wayne as he is very passionate but you have to get past the door b%$ch's :-X

Got it home yet ?

regards Frank