PDA

View Full Version : 150 e teck with stiff throttle

troy
22-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I bought this up about 10 months ago.
I bought a new 150 e teck and when you get the boat up on the plane and try and back off you have to pull very hard to move the trottle and when it moves you drop right off the plane.
Same as when you are going along and you want to go faster to have to push really hard and then you find yourself going to fast.
Told the dealer and he said all e tecks are the same.
The more i used the boat the more worried i got as it can be dangereous in the rough when you have no control of the speed you are doing.
Rang the dealer today and this time he said it should not be that tight and to bring it back.
What could it be and is it a easy fix as i want to use it saturday week for 5 weeks away.
Thanks
Troy

cormorant
22-08-2009, 03:39 PM
There is a friction control on teh control box - where your hand is?

The other common one is for the o rings to get stiff in the top of the shaft where the gerashaft goes into teh box.

Remobve link and narroe iut down

5 minute job

troy
22-08-2009, 04:54 PM
There is a friction control on teh control box - where your hand is?

The other common one is for the o rings to get stiff in the top of the shaft where the gerashaft goes into teh box.

Remobve link and narroe iut down

5 minute job
The only thing it has been like since day one so could the o rings still be a cause.
Thanks
Troy

samson
22-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Got the same motor on my local boat no stiffness though but might be something simple like not greasing the joints in the hand control box which can make them stiff or a few too many bends in those cables.

troy
22-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Got the same motor on my local boat no stiffness though but might be something simple like not greasing the joints in the hand control box which can make them stiff or a few too many bends in those cables.
Thanks mate but as i have said it was like it when i bought it new.
All i wish to find out can it be easily fixed.
Thanks
Troy

Outsider1
23-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Has been installed incorrectly IMO. Have heard of this before, previous threads here on the subject. From memory cable was not routed properly which causes the stiffness/stickiness. Certainly not the way they are supposed to be, and in my experience the motor is not overly sensitive to throttle settings either, as was stated to you.

samson
23-08-2009, 02:09 PM
thats what i was tying to say who ever fitted it out may have not of greased joints in hand controls and put too many bends in those cables, my mates etec hand controls were very stiff which were fixed with a little lube as who ever fitted it didn't bother.

troy
23-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Has been installed incorrectly IMO. Have heard of this before, previous threads here on the subject. From memory cable was not routed properly which causes the stiffness/stickiness. Certainly not the way they are supposed to be, and in my experience the motor is not overly sensitive to throttle settings either, as was stated to you.
How big a job would it be if this was the problem.
Thanks
Troy

Outsider1
23-08-2009, 08:01 PM
How big a job would it be if this was the problem.
Thanks
Troy
I have not had first hand experience to give you an accurate estimate, but I believe it is a relatively straight forward fix.

-spiro-
23-08-2009, 08:42 PM
outsiderskips was the same

cormorant
23-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry for my earlier rushed post

Need to determinn if the stifness is in the cable, control box or at the motor. Each one is a 5 minute check. The solution could be as easy as adjusting the friction in he control box or discovering a bent terminal at a cable end or time consuming remounting or rerouting a cable.

Have seen some classics with screws put tight next to cables when acessories or rod holders have been installed

Should all be under warranty and if the dealer couldn't se the issue before I would think about another dealer.

The o-ring issue on the gear change shaft I mentioned earler would only occur when actually shifting gears and generally doesn't affect throttles so ignore that. Didn't read your post clearly enough.

If it is because the cables have been routed in very tight turns that is a setup error and delivery problem that a experienced mech wouldn't have stuffed it. Even if it is very tight turns there are higer quality more flexible ones avaliable and are often used in cenrer console fit outs.

Angla
23-08-2009, 10:56 PM
You may be better off selling it now and getting a Optimax.

It was going to be pointed out by someone

Cheers
Chris

Smithy
24-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Troy,

did you repower the Cruisey? What donk was on it originally? Weren't you selling it at one stage? Did you ever get your ramp trolly made for Upstart? Overnighted in behind there last November on our way back south from Cairns. Did your son sell the 445?

Smithy

troy
24-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Troy,

did you repower the Cruisey? What donk was on it originally? Weren't you selling it at one stage? Did you ever get your ramp trolly made for Upstart? Overnighted in behind there last November on our way back south from Cairns. Did your son sell the 445?

Smithy
Smithy,
Sold the crusie craft and bought a smaller boat.
The EPA will not let us dredge the channel and my son sold his 445.
What did you think of the Cape.
Troy

Smithy
25-08-2009, 06:15 AM
So what brand of boat did you buy? We put down anchor right out toward the end of the Cape as soon as we had protection but those houses out there sure looked pretty good and they would be getting sunsets across water.