PDA

View Full Version : mounting a lipstick camera's and video unit

tropicrows
21-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Ok chaps and girls now this may sound like a bit of a gimmick or just a waste of money,
but have any of you seen being used or are using a lipstick camera and small video screen when you drive your boat onto the trailer.
I drive my boat onto the trailer but it’s pretty important that I get it on the centre of the end roller before I start.

My idea was to mount the lipstick camera on the bow above where the trailer winch cable connects looking back down along the keel line, so as I come into contact with that trailer roller I can see how the boat is positioned.
The camera has an inferred lens so you see in the dark and the video screen has 4 inputs so you could have up to 4 camera’s mounted on the boat or even underwater if you want.
Of the shelf units start around $500, and thoughts or am I just wasting time and money ?????????????????????

Chimo
21-08-2009, 04:07 PM
B O A T sure applies here. Your not married with kids are you?

Cheers
Chimo

Coontakinta
21-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Your not married with kids are you?

As one who is I'm LMAO!;D

lethal098
21-08-2009, 04:33 PM
i would be thinking your decky should be guiding you on to that first roller if it is an issue, if fishing by yourself cant see the harm if you have the expendible cash, just make sure you train your decky to make sure he knows what the hell is goin on. cheers Lee

Chimo
21-08-2009, 04:53 PM
BRING OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND

Are you going to the boat show too?

Chimo

Dave_H
21-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Ok chaps and girls now this may sound like a bit of a gimmick or just a waste of money,
but have any of you seen being used or are using a lipstick camera and small video screen when you drive your boat onto the trailer.
I drive my boat onto the trailer but it’s pretty important that I get it on the centre of the end roller before I start.

My idea was to mount the lipstick camera on the bow above where the trailer winch cable connects looking back down along the keel line, so as I come into contact with that trailer roller I can see how the boat is positioned.
The camera has an inferred lens so you see in the dark and the video screen has 4 inputs so you could have up to 4 camera’s mounted on the boat or even underwater if you want.
Of the shelf units start around $500, and thoughts or am I just wasting time and money ?????????????????????

The Waeco (spl?) stand at the Sydney Boat Show had a cheap underwater IR video camera/monitor assembly (for the pervs who want to watch their baits/SP's get ignored by the fish they are trying to catch) which are connected by a reasonable length cable. This might be a second use for such a device!

They had them as a complete unit for (much) less than $150.00 complete and it came with the whole lot (cables, battery, camera, monitor, carry case etc).

OK yeah, I bought one.....;D

Found a link: http://www.waeco.com.au/products.asp?catId=115

Regards,

Dave

bay local
21-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Why don't you just buy a pair of eziguide rollers.

tenzing
21-08-2009, 05:58 PM
mmm saltwater and camera electrics, sounds like a short marriage.
Having said that I did have the idea of a removeable reversing camera to stick in one of the rod holders on my bait board and connect a relay to the reversing wire on the trailer plug. The cruiser has a reversing camera , so when the trailer is on you can get a birdseye from behind the prop.
Brendan

Scott nthQld
21-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Dave H, I've gotta say, that looks awesome and I want one just to use when targeting big reds, dunno how it would go in 70m though lol

Dave_H
21-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Dave H, I've gotta say, that looks awesome and I want one just to use when targeting big reds, dunno how it would go in 70m though lol

That indeed is a good question. To which I hope to find the answer to when I (very soon) get to head back home full time after working away from home for the past few months. It will of course be getting use in some shallow reef areas around my fave inshore reef areas off Port Stephens. Hopefully there will still be some decent reddies around, fingers crossed.

Roughasguts
21-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I bought a boat cause I like the water and not afraid to get wet.

But a camera to line things up!!!!! Geeez ......sounds like your trailer rollers need lining up better..... going to save you money for booze as well if you do that.

Cheers.

tigermullet
21-08-2009, 07:41 PM
A high tech solution to lining up? Please tell me that you also have a gimbal mounted cup holder so that the Mocha Lite Latte doesn't spill during the maneuver?;D

oldboot
21-08-2009, 07:43 PM
sounds a reasonable thing to me.....particularly if you can get one with the long sealed in cables.

I know of a few people who are using these for looking inside pipes filled with who knows what.

as long as you get the right camera and install it right, it should be a viable thing...... but perhaps a better roller system would be better......or perhaps a mirror on the back of the tow vehicle;D

cheers

PinHead
22-08-2009, 06:26 AM
A high tech solution to lining up? Please tell me that you also have a gimbal mounted cup holder so that the Mocha Lite Latte doesn't spill during the maneuver?;D

doesn't every boat have those..or only the primeval ones don't? LOL

PinHead
22-08-2009, 06:26 AM
I reckon it is a top idea...$500 is nothing..have a look at what some people are paying for a fishing rod or reel.

BM
22-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Pinhead, Aldi have reversing cameras on sale in next weeks catalog for $149 including a 6 inch TFT screen.

PinHead
22-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't want one..tropicrows mentioned it. I have no trouble reversing..hit backwards and all is good.

tropicrows
24-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Why don't you just buy a pair of eziguide rollers.

B O A T sure applies here. Your not married with kids are you?

Cheers
Chimo

As one who is I'm LMAO!;D

Just to clear up a few things I am married but separated, and have two daughters.
So I don’t have a lot of spare cash, but having seen the trouble some boaties have driving up onto a trailer, me included on a windy day when out by myself thought this would be a goer.
I have installed a eziguide rollers system that I built not purchased, and once your in the Vee the system works great but if you miss the Vee rollers their goes that nice fibreglass hull.

BGG
24-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Why not try a mirror mounted on your car? No electrics to go wrong and cheap.

Chimo
24-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi TC

Why dont you simply winch the boat onto the trailer?

Lots less grief and no damage.

If your ramp has a pontoon obviously very easy to line up if not then there are simple proceedures to make it still work easily.

Eg if sandy beach park the boat on the side the breeze or current is coming from and when your trailer is in position with just the rear rollers drowned hold your paynter and simple push the boat back into the water so the breeze or current pushes it across. You pull it in timing things so the bow of the boat hits the centre of the trailer as it is going past. Hook up the winch and haul it up. No drama, and you just saved heaps of $s and got some exercise and prooved you can do it all on your own.

This is the way I do it with my Vagabond when I'm on my own and even when there are extra bodies its still easier to do it this way myself especially if they are "cleanskins"

Cheers
Chimo

tropicrows
24-08-2009, 12:22 PM
But then i end up with wet feet

tigermullet
24-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I've changed my mind. The idea of a lipstick camera and video unit is just weird enough to be attractive. Lot's of applications for a boat spring to mind. I'm getting one too.

Chimo
24-08-2009, 01:20 PM
TC

Put a walkway down the centre of your trailer and you wont get wet tootsies!:-*

C
C

castlemaine
24-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Why not try a mirror mounted on your car? No electrics to go wrong and cheap.

Now that's a good idea. You should patent that.;) 8-)

oldboot
24-08-2009, 10:20 PM
hmm.......didn't i say that back in post #13;)

cheers

Crunchy
25-08-2009, 11:04 AM
What about guide posts on the back of the trailer?

I was thinking about the mirror idea the other day, its hard to judge whether you have driven up far enough, don't want to drive smack into the hitching post but don't want to be too short either....

I have just starting driving on / off in the last few outings after several months of pushing off and cranking up, I'm totally sold on it, especially for those solo outings.

cormorant
25-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Mate has the go for this. He is a declared unco-ordinated bloke .

He lines up the center of the windscreen with the bow roller and simply when all 3 are lined up and bhe can't see the tow hitch he knows everything is in line , guns it up the trailer. His old trailer had a old flexible aerial near the middle roller spring loaded and it was easy as well as just line it up with teh winch post and you know you are dead center. It just folded over as you drove on. Scared the crap out of me as I normally look over the side of the boat and line up the back edge of the trailer with the guard and here he was stretched over to the middle of the boat gunning it straight on and when you know he is a unco you nearly need fresh undies..

Yeah he should patent it as it is so simple

castlemaine
25-08-2009, 08:57 PM
hmm.......didn't i say that back in post #13;)

cheers

Yes you did! My apologies:-/ 8-)

grumpy221
27-08-2009, 09:20 PM
go to supercheap get a reversing camera mount it on the front of your boat ....but then if you get a wireless you could mount it on the back of your truck and watch yourself coming in on the trailer... if the range of the thing is enough being thinking of the same.......or this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-UNDERWATER-FISHFINDER-CAMERA-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ180397911618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_A ccessories_Tackle?hash=item2a008dae42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

oldboot
27-08-2009, 10:38 PM
At the risk of a hyjack.

there are some video senders out there that will do a few hundred meters under good conditions.

and there are also 12 v powered CCTV recorders.

you could have a camera on the back of your vehicle that could both watch your trailer while you are away and film the scum that pinch your rollers....and link up to a screen on your boat for driving on.

cheers

sleepygreg
28-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Now THAT idea I like!!!!!