PDA

View Full Version : Blinking light for nite fishing

pajeromako
21-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I wonder it is legal to put on additional light (brinking) for "extra" safety reason. :-/

FNQCairns
21-08-2009, 03:14 AM
No mate it's not legal, the regs are international and they work if followed, it does assume that the moving boat is travelling at a speed that can safely take evasive action in good time. The regs don't care if the boat is running late or only has a one night a month to do this or is simply feeling self important. The regs also couldn't care less if the boat underway could do no better than drift to maintain a safe speed or for how long that need to be done.

The regs also didn't care that once upon a time and for most in small boats 15 knots was considered quite fast when on the water.

Same goes for the stationary boat, the regs couldn't care less if the all round white light is too bright to suit the sensibilities of the boat occupants.

Best just keep a nice and very bright light at the ready for all those who self absorbingly believe that they are within the meaning of the regs even when travelling faster than they could possibly avoid any darkened hazard.

cheers fnq

finga
21-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey FNQ pajero man asked about additional lighting not replacement.
I reckon he'd be OK for an additional flasher/strobe light as long as the 'normal' anchor light was on at the same time.

lethal098
21-08-2009, 07:40 AM
do you normally fish at night or is the blinking light for once asleep, i would think a blinking light while fishing would be unpleasant and disruptive to your night vision. Have you had near misses??? just interested to understand the reasoning thats all. cheers Lee

levinge
21-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Probably not a good idea as it could be confused with a navigation aid (blinking).

you can run a second light but it has to be a normal light, we usually run a rechargeable camping lantern at night when at anchor

FNQCairns
21-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey FNQ pajero man asked about additional lighting not replacement.
I reckon he'd be OK for an additional flasher/strobe light as long as the 'normal' anchor light was on at the same time.

yeah I know but it's simply not legal, forthe reasons I listed above, but if it could be worked into another reason to have it then that would be ok....disco possibly:D.

cheers fnq

garman1
21-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Like the idea.....a bike rider with a flashing headlight is much easier to see than just a normal light.

BUT

I would hate to have my "blinking" anchor light mistaken for a channel marker or some other navigation marker.............especially by something LARGE that can't stop in a hurry etc.....................ouch

Get the light up as high as you can and get as bright a light as you can. I put mine up on top of the bimini. Keep a spotlight handy if your anchor light isn't noticed by someone, a spotty in their direction is bound to say "here I am"

robersl
21-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Well if it was a blinking white light it could confuse boaties as cardinals marks blink a different sequence for what direction they are like 4blinks and a gap then 4 more blinks ect and i know i look for cardinal marks to go around them in places such as mud island if you go the wrong side you hit rocks and that is a bit nasty

shane

Roughasguts
21-08-2009, 12:08 PM
If you see a Aircraft at night you will only see the white strobe light!!!! then you can look a little closer at the spot of the strobe!! and only then you can make out the Green and Red Nav lights, then the constant white light at the rear seems to show up last. Then you can work out which direction it is going.

So I reckon having flown heaps at night, that the white strobe light gives the best indication of any other traffic in the area.

And I have never confused the strobe light with light houses, tower beacons, road traffic, runway lights Etc.

Theres only one problem with it! and that is flying in cloud or fog !!the light bloody near blinds you!! so must be turned off. But I guess the intensity could be reduced for the marine enviroment.

Oh yeah the Sydney ferries have a Amber flashing light and that is suposed to tell every one they have right of way over any other vessel.
AS WE ALL KNOW THAT SHOULD POSSIBLE BE CHANGED AS THERE HAS BEEN A FEW HITS IN THE HARBOUR AT NIGHT.

TOPAZ
21-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi All,

If you are concerned about the all-round white light blinding you or destroying your night vision, you can affix a horizontal plate (circular or other) directly under the light to prevent it shining into your boat.
The light has to be visible all round in a horizomtal plane, not up and down.

In my old Swiftcraft, I made an aluminium mast to carry the light, and made up a "wing" shaped plate below it. The Savage Bluefin of old came with such a shield, and that is where I got the idea.

Richard

Roughasguts
21-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi All,

If you are concerned about the all-round white light blinding you or destroying your night vision, you can affix a horizontal plate (circular or other) directly under the light to prevent it shining into your boat.
The light has to be visible all round in a horizomtal plane, not up and down.

In my old Swiftcraft, I made an aluminium mast to carry the light, and made up a "wing" shaped plate below it. The Savage Bluefin of old came with such a shield, and that is where I got the idea.

Richard

Yup that's what I would with a strobe light!!! but then again a strobe light could be used just to attract fish at night.. Hmmmm wonder why they use a strobe on higher priced PFD's Oh yeah you can see it better.

It's only a matter of time and we should be using strobe lights!! probably be a whole lot better than EPERB's for the average Fisho! in my opinion, but that ain't worth
much.
Theres over priced consultants with no idea!! to make those decisions for all of us. .......;D

rando
21-08-2009, 09:55 PM
The only trouble with that is if it were to become common practice. You would have a b++ch of a job try to accurately identify nav marks with additional blinkers all over the place.

oldboot
21-08-2009, 10:43 PM
The reason that a flashing white would definitely illegal is that it could be mistaken for a north cardinal mark.....which continuously flashes white.

the strobes on a life jacket are hardly likly to be mistaken for a north cardinal.

the flashing whites on brisbane river ferries and rowing skiffs are a special case.........If there are any cardinal marks on the brisbane river.....you could count them on one hand.

There is however absolutly no restriction on how much steady white light you can display as long as it does not cause a problem.

In fact large ships are required to light up their decks and anything else they reasonably can when at anchor.
Remember the minimum all round white visability for small boats under 12 meters is 2 nautical miles, larger boats it can be 3miles, 5 miles or 6 miles depending on size.
you can put a big boys all round white up on a big stick if you like.

cheers

Sea-Dog
21-08-2009, 11:47 PM
From USL code (Regulations for prevention of collisions at Sea)

Part C – Lights and Shapes
Rule 20
(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

tinman42
02-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Rule 20
(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

Seadog is correct in what he says as it stated in the colregs, the 'rules of the road' for all marinatime vessels. A ferry is the only vessel allowed to display an all round flashing orange light, and as such is easily identifiable because of that. All other vessels have regulated lights to aid in identification of the vessel at night.

Get a copy of the Prevention of collisions at sea and read up the regulations.

Mindi
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
agree above... it is illegal, and it is confusing... the small minority who know what a Nth Cardinal Mark is will think that is what's there...and lots of others will think it is some sort of informal attempt at a distress signal..? all round bad idea..suggest dont do it. Agree that a small plain allround white doesnt give much protection but thats the international standard and you can only really improve your situation with more wattage and more height.

Roughasguts
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Rule 20

Ever seen a party boat on Sydney Harbour!!!
All the flashing dance lights inside and out, there be no way you can se the normal Green and Red Nav lights on those things.
But I guess you can hear them coming anyway.

Think it's about time they up dated the regs for the faster vessels we have these days.
And not only the faster vessels but there back drop!! if your heading towards a normally lite vessel but it's back drop is Luna Park you ain't going to see no stationary boat are you! You could blame your night vision being diminished by other more intense lighting in the area, or just being distracted not to focus on the foreground area.

Cheers.

tigermullet
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
The standard nav and riding light seem to be enough to me. It is difficult with background lights but for most, the properly fitted lights do work. Eleven years of anchoring in a busy place like Tiger Mullet channel with just a bright riding light has seen me hit only twice at night and just once in the day time.

There's no accounting for bad luck or poor practices by hire houseboats.;D

tunaticer
02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a small all round constant white light on my kayak for predawn fishing, however I have a big problem with this type of light. If I am in my kayak fishing inshore reefs in front of Scarborough predawn and with such an abundance of shore based lighting (if you have ever been in front of Scarborough Beach at night you will know what i mean) it is very very difficult to decypher if one light is well and truly close then the rest behind the shore esp when its fairly calm and lights reflect off the water.
To overcome this I also wear a push bike rapid flashing red LED light affixed to the back of my head where i cant keep a watch on easily. Since wearing this red flasher I have not had any boats come within cooee of me but prior to getting it I had over half a dozen boats get very close before they saw me and had to take quick evasive action.
Sometimes white lights blend in too well, I would imagine the brisbane river would be a similar problematic area.
I also seem to recall soon after that rowing skull got run over by the citycat the recomendation was for a white strobe light or a constant white light to be used in all dark hours. Ther was definitely mention of a strobe being recommended.

Sea-Dog
02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I suppose if you wanted to be highly visible and comply with colregs, you could get some white led strip lighting to go around the entire perimeter of your boat.

Can't be mistaken for any other lights specified in colregs.

Might be a bit expen$ive though.

How many of those party boats get hit because they can't be seen?
Not many I'd guess.