PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference? Hunter / Signature / Traveller........

Bender72
19-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I am no boating guru by any stretch of the imagination....... However I am learning as I go along. But one thing that I cannot establish is this........

What is the difference between Haines Hunter, Haines Signature and Haines Traveller boats.

Is it like HSV is to Holden where the Signature boats are better (better quality, finish etc?) and the Traveller is the industrial side of Holden (ie. The dual cab rodeo white standard government issue?).

And now Seafarer comes under the umbrella as well? Like I said, I am no guru, but I'd reckoning that bein built in the same factiry would lead to same building processes etrc. Just different designs?

Can somebody please enlighten me as I travel down this weary road of boat purchasing...... :-[

Roughasguts
19-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Depends what year your talking about Old Haines Hunter boats sold out! but the new company kept the name. Then the original Haines started building boats again under the signature brand. Differant factory but original owners.

Long story really but if you google the haines story up it might become a bit clearer. Hell there was even a factory fire then a flood I think.

So yep after about 1990 two differant companys built in differant factorys by differant owners.

As to which is better! depends what you wan't in a boat the Signature I think is built lighter so hull weight there is a bit differant and it has the variable dead rise. But do you really need that if your fishing in a lake! or have 3 persons fishing from the side. I hope not cause it ain't good for that.

Chimo
19-08-2009, 02:53 PM
And the original Seafarer's built by the Frys were build really well with lots of strength / glass and hold their value very well as a result.

Not sure about the Haines version. Anyone got one yet?

Cheers
Chimo

PADDLES
19-08-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah, the traveller is basically a cheaper signature. i don't know whether the difference is only fitout or if they actually use different lower hull sections. hunter is a completely different company.

mangomick
19-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I think you'll find real men have haines hunters and the rest ,well, just pussies really;D;D

Bender72
19-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Cheers Lads!

Historically speaking, I've heard all the urban myths and rumours about the businesses being bought and sold. And I can attest to the old models as I've owned a V17L and a 445c - both awesome boats.

But I am in the market and looking for a boat within 10 years of age and as such have been scouring the net for info.

The one thing that I've not been able to establish is what is the difference in boats, which are built from the same company, that are 10 years young?

Guido
19-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I would imagine the deep V of the Hunters to be just as tippsy, if not worse than the Sig with 3 blokes on one side. It might be a bit of a g-up, but the variable hull is meant to provide a cutting keel for ride and a flat edge for stability at rest. We have no big problems with stability at rest in our Sig.

You can notice the variable hull at play during low planing speeds. Seems to sit up longer than conventional hulls. They need good weight distribution at speed though, as they tend to lean a fair bit.

Everyone is correct about the weight difference. The Sigs are lighter, so I guess with the Travellers being cheaper they may be lighter again. Probably an equal standard of finish in both the Sig and Hunter.

Guido

Argle
20-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I think you will find that the Travellers are actually older Signature Hulls that are pre-SVDH (variable deadrise hulls) and they are not finished off as well as the (newer) Signatures.

Cheers
Scott

adamleah
20-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I am in agreeance with Argle .... The original Traveller brought out a few years ago has what, from I can see the identical hull to my 1990 signature..... not that its a bad thing as its a great riding boat .....