PDA

View Full Version : Decked by a fish

jighead
18-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Having just read Goatboys thread Attack of the 50ft cod there was another article about a pro fisherman decked by a flying fish and got me wondering
who else has had encounters with these flying beasties or been decked by a fish
Cheers Mal

Iceman R
18-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Years ago a mate and I were out crabbing , lost track of time fishing and thought we better go haul the pots, before too long it was dark and here we were trying to find out pots by torchlight... my mate was shining the torch around when all of a sudden about a 40 cm mullet jumped out of the water, smacked him right between the eyes and fell back into the water.... my mate just about fell out of the boat trying to get out of its way and I just about fell out laughing.....;)

Blackened
18-08-2009, 06:26 PM
G'day

Also out crabbing, mate in the boat... mullet jumped out and smacked him right in the arse, funniest thing i've seen yet!

Dave

Chamelion
18-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Some years ago I was swimming in the maroochy when an unknown fish swam at speed right into my balls... It was quite painful.

DR
18-08-2009, 09:25 PM
here ya go, I came across this yesterday...
http://www.billkonway.com/blog/?p=241
ouch!

sleepygreg
18-08-2009, 09:33 PM
It didnt make physical contact, but certainly left me flat on my backside and scrambling towards the cabin.

Some years ago was busy pounding away at the berly pot with the muncher, not paying a hell of a lot of attention to what I was doing, looking over my shoulder and yakking to my mates in the boat at the same time. Turned back around to steady myself in preparation to go and get a rod ready, and found myself eyeballing a great white that had stuck his head out of the water right behind the berley pot at the same time I turned around, he was probably only 4m long, but at the time looked a lot bigger. That was my first encounter with these magnificent fish, but it frightened the crap out of me, literally. The others in the boat were falling about laughing, until they saw what it was when it grabbed hold of the burley pot and ripped it off the back of the boat.

Greg

sharkymark2
18-08-2009, 09:34 PM
When I was a cadet deck officer on a ship in New guinea we broke a crankshaft and drifted around in the Coral Sea for a week. We put out a shark line and caught a 5' Tiger shark. We managed to get him up onto the boat deck and it was my responsibilty to deliver the ' coup de grais". Unfortunately it being a very fresh shark, decided to vigorously thrash around on the deck and slapped its tail into the "most preciousness" which promptly saw me collapse to the deck hanging onto the remanants and trying to expel my lunch at the same time..... Everybody thought it was a very funny thing to happen;)..... still mangaged a couple of good ones later on in life.

snasman
18-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Yep Out crabbing had the ol mullet jump into my mates lap and then jump out again,the look of fear that was on his face was priceless,I laughed all night.

Noelm
20-08-2009, 02:16 PM
though not exacly decked, I was "almost" decked by a 70+ KG Yellowfin, I had just got it in the boat and it was on the floor, when it decided to start kicking and wreck everything within head and tail range, so I stood on the tail, one foot on each fork, it gave an almighty kick, tail slipped out from under my feet and wacked me right in the hairy marble bag, fell to my knees in agony, and got wacked in the face by the next kick, I could barely talk for 15 mins, not to mention the bleeding nose (which was the least of my worries)

onerabbit
20-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I had the misfortune to be in the way one day when a flying fish came across the bow of my boat.....we were doing about 25knts....
The mongerel hit me fully in the left eye, slapped me across the face and as I turned my head to absorb the impact,
I saw it sail back over the side of the boat..................just when I thought I had scored a good floater bait...........

Muzz

gleeeza
20-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Me and the young bloke were running along fisheries creek ballina one arvo when about a thousand mullet all decided to get some air, and we were dodging bullets for about 100+ meters. On the up side there were no direct hits but we cleaned up on bait. I just cant believe how many fish were in one area, I wonder if there was something driving them up or if there was so many fish they just had no where to go.

Best direct hit was a smack in the mouth to the missus by a mutton bird after dark on Musgrave Island. I got funny looks from the other campers for the next week!!!!

trueblue
22-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I've been smacked in the face by a flying fish on the way out to the banks

stung a bit. just missed my eye.

Skusto
23-08-2009, 07:34 PM
not decked but was cast netting some mullet over the banks near our creek one day when i was younger any way as i threw the net my mate came over the same side and being a 12ft tinny wasnt that stable any way the bucket full of mullet fell over and one went over the side and just as it went in the water another big mullet jumped in the boat from the other side. so was quite pleased at the end of it didnt loose one.. :)

wayno60
23-08-2009, 08:54 PM
come across this one a while ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2UAQr_JdF0&feature=related

funkngroovy
01-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Not me but the Uncle copped a fruit bat in the head one night while hookn' down the Logan at full tilt.

hercules
06-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Didn't get hit but those flying fish can be a worry sometimes . Had one come at the boat side on and then rise up and over my bimini and then down the other side . Not bad flying i thought .
Craig