PDA

View Full Version : 680 patriot crack

ozbee
18-08-2009, 01:59 PM
about 12 months ago i joked about the right cabin storage compartment making water . i put it down to the nav lights filling up from spray and running down the wire.

anyhow on this last trip while a few people were leaning on that side at the back a large volume of water could be heard falling into the bilge. upon and inspection a crack approx 5mm wide and 40 cm long has extended from the start of the duel transom pod and along forward level with the gunnel rubber.

is the top of a haines glued or fiber glassed together . secondly the second step down in the cabin has cracked which i assume is another fixed point between bottom and top. any how this boat is only close to two years old so i expect there will be no problemns warranty wise :( just strange from a good manfacturer maybe a resin or glue failure. i have the feeling the whole side beneath the gunnel rubber may well be letting go.anyhow how are they fixed.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
18-08-2009, 02:06 PM
All things may fail from time to time its how they look after you is the real test.

Noelm
18-08-2009, 02:16 PM
don't know about your model specificaly, but the deck to hull joint can be joined by a number of methods, from a couple of rivets/bolts and silicon to full glass strip bonded from the inside, the gunnel rubber hides the actual joint. Any crack is not a good thing, just hope they look after you and the boat is better than new when finished.

Spaniard_King
18-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Ozbee,

who are you going through for warranty??

lampuki
18-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi OzBee...sorry to hear about the dramas....when and where was the hull built? Still Under waranty I would assume.

Pazz01
18-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey Ozbee, That is really unfortunate mate. Hopefully they sort out the issue pretty fast.

Please keep us posted on the progress and how you are treated by HH.

Pazz

ozbee
18-08-2009, 03:08 PM
warranty claim will be through the dealer angus smith marine townsville . they dont expect any hassles we hope , just a bit nervous though other than the obvious crack i had to change my aerial junction and trim tab s switch because of water peneration in the right drivers compartement which i was pulling my hair out trying to find why it was always damp. so to me its staring to look as if one whole side is slowly coming un stuck.

i expect this is no five minute job i suppose .and finding someone to fix it in the country will be a problemn too.or do they ship it back to the factory and at whos cost. its a shame as i have really enjoyed this vessel. all will come out in the washin time.

TJ Bear
18-08-2009, 03:58 PM
The Hull Deck join is glassed on a 680 Patriot where you can reach it, there is some areas where it is not possible do to the liner. Lots of 680's leak from the hull deck join befind the forward cabin liner. Is it possible to get a picture of the crack and I could give a better opinion of whats going on as I have built a few back in the day. Was the boat built in melbourne or Yatla?

Jabba_
18-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Being 2 years old it would off been built at Yatla

levinge
18-08-2009, 10:23 PM
warranty claim will be through the dealer angus smith marine townsville . they dont expect any hassles we hope , just a bit nervous though other than the obvious crack i had to change my aerial junction and trim tab s switch because of water peneration in the right drivers compartement which i was pulling my hair out trying to find why it was always damp. so to me its staring to look as if one whole side is slowly coming un stuck.

i expect this is no five minute job i suppose .and finding someone to fix it in the country will be a problemn too.or do they ship it back to the factory and at whos cost. its a shame as i have really enjoyed this vessel. all will come out in the washin time.

If it takes a while the Oz, I am sure Scott, Ron and myself can drag my boat down your way and you can guide us to some of those special spots.

That is if you don't mind fishing from an Alloy boat.

Hope the fix goes and is done under warranty, I have heard all good things about your rig from Scott

scorpionNQ
19-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I was talking to a boat builder at the Townsville Boat show a few months ago, and he claimed that he had been at E.T's lodge in NT for a 6 weeks working stint on various boats, and he stated that ET was having all sorts of issue's with Haines with the Patriots he has. His actual words were 'they were falling to bits' However, they are full on charter boats that would get worked extremely hard at times. I hope HH have not comprimised the quality of there hulls.

TheRealAndy
19-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Interesting to hear this. Haines is now on my list of boats that I want to look at this year at the boat show. My whole descision on what I want from a larger boat has changed a bit and now encouraged me to look at a new haines. Hearing this is going to make me look twice at the construction of these boats.