PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Boat Show

Argle
18-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Anyone going to the show this year? Im heading in on Thursday for a sticky with the missus, if you get the RACQ "Road Ahead" magazine its got a two for one entry voucher in it! Not bad I thought, only catch is its for before 1pm on Thursday and Friday only.

Cheers
Scott

Wahoo
18-08-2009, 11:42 AM
G'day Scott, would have the dates for this show?

cheers
Daz

Argle
18-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Daz, starts on Thursday the 27th of August and goes through til Sunday the 30th

Cheers
Scott

mcchaddy
18-08-2009, 01:53 PM
If you subscribe to the Courier Mail you get the 2 for 1 deal for anytime. Just have to log on and print the voucher out.

Cheers

Michael.

PinHead
18-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I will be going at some stage..just for a look..not in the market this year.

Lovey80
18-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I am glad ill be here to check it out and see whats going at the moment. I think ill venture in Saturday as thursday and friday morning look good fishing weather.

Cheers

Chris

Mr__Bean
18-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I will be going at some stage..just for a look..not in the market this year.

That's what everybody thinks!

- Darren

dogsbody
18-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Might go along and check out the bar.

Dave

PinHead
18-08-2009, 04:58 PM
That's what everybody thinks!

- Darren

no Darren..nothing there I want so just a stroll around and have a look and waste a couple of hours.

PinHead
18-08-2009, 04:59 PM
G'day Scott, would have the dates for this show?

cheers
Daz

you going to come down for the show ?

Tangles
18-08-2009, 06:02 PM
If i go my wallet will be superglued shut and the eyes stapled!.

Walked in ARB yesterday, walked out with a fridge? Ive had it with tackle shops, and shows, Tinnie and Tackle show walked out with some bloody oven we dont use?

PinHead
18-08-2009, 06:06 PM
If i go my wallet will be superglued shut and the eyes stapled!.

Walked in ARB yesterday, walked out with a fridge? Ive had it with tackle shops, and shows, Tinnie and Tackle show walked out with some bloody oven we dont use?

spare me..you know you are addicted..you are the bower bird of tackle shops..if it is bright and shiny you want it..LOL

BUCA T
22-08-2009, 08:01 PM
yeah boys im pumped for it, it will be my first time at the show and im thinking of gettin a new rig around 6m. The mrs said she is sick of me talkin about it so just buy one. she will regret sayin that i reckon , cant wait,

TheRealAndy
22-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I am going to look at buying, again... Did the same last year still dont have a boat. I would have probably bought the tournament 2000 if the salesman had followed up on my request from last years show but now I am considering something bigger and set up more for cruising than fishing. No doubt I will change my mind again but one thing is for sure I am not going to buy until I am 100% sure I know what I want!

Lovey80
22-08-2009, 08:51 PM
This moron listened to his father who told him that the show was on this week. After walking around southbank for a few hours we went to go to the show to find that we were a week early and now Ill miss it next week...... Spewing.

Nothing worse than having cash and a burning desire for a boat to get offshore but can't decide on a boat I want/cant find one at the right price.

Cheers

Chris

tin can marlin
22-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I going with the veiw to buying a Bay cruiser very well priced and finsh seems nice for the money they used to be called fredom.

AnthonyL
25-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Oh geez that boat show came around again quickly, thanks for the reminder. We will go and have a look, looking at upgrading to a little larger boat.

Fishbait
25-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm going - but definately looking. Well,,,,, maybe some tackle if priced right. Darren.

Bill_Corten
25-08-2009, 07:50 PM
While you are at the boat show pop into the fishing expo at Hall 4. There is plenty of non stop action on the stage and at the Yamaha tank which is this years backdrop. There is something for everyone with a highlight being the live weigh in of the bream classic daily from 2.45PM. The kids shows on Sat and Sun mornings are full on with involvement for the young ones and the parents will learn heaps at the same time. Lots of freebies for the kids at the kids shows too. Reckon we can also find some interesting prizes for all us bigger kids too.

Bill

honda900
28-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Anyone been got any reports, bargains etc?

Regards
Honda

PinHead
28-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I went along this afternoon..am very impressed with one of the boats there and the wife loves it also..food for thought on that one.

tackle..only the el cheapo mobs there again.

as usual it was good for a stroll around and have a look and a chat with a few people I know there.

Tangles
28-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Will it fit in the shed?

PinHead
28-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Will it fit in the shed?

I could not tow it

Marlin_Mike
28-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I went tonight. disappointed. smallish crowd. no atmophere. el cheapo fishing gear.

Mike

whatscracken
28-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Sounds like I'll give a miss on that report Mike.

Pretzil
28-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, went tonight too, disappointed, not much going on, guess that does reflect the marine industry atm tho.

Ps, does anyone know if a lowrance HDS5 combo unit will plug into lowrance lms525 power and transducer plugs?, are they the same?... Should I ask this in the electronics section?

PinHead
29-08-2009, 05:25 AM
I enjoyed it with bugger all people there...could just look around quietly.

Marlin_Mike
29-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Made it easy to look at Greg, indeed.

My wife and I went to every boat display, interested in a half cabin. NOT ONE, yep, NOT ONE salesman approached us. Go figure, with the state of boat sales, you would think they'd jump on you if you approached their stand. But not ont asked us if we cold be helped or had any questions. I know which boat yards I WONT be going to when I buy, which isnt too far away.

Mike

PinHead
29-08-2009, 06:32 AM
bloody hell Mike..we were all over one of the boats like a rash...we love it...salesmen were good there also. I just browsed most of the others.

Sheik
29-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm looking for a deal on a cheap sounder, colour job maybe under $500 hopefully. Was thinking of going to the show to see whether any deals could be done. Anyone know if it's worth the effort?

Chimo
29-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Time to look after Sue me thinks: go for it lifes too short!

Cheers
Chimo

Marlin_Mike
29-08-2009, 07:22 AM
bloody hell Mike..we were all over one of the boats like a rash...we love it...salesmen were good there also. I just browsed most of the others.

We were all over the formosa stand, the 550 half cab. All i got for our tiem was a brochure off the transom. no salesman approached us. why should i go to them? did we appear like we didnt have money? their loss, crossed them off the list of possible boats to buy

PinHead
29-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Time to look after Sue me thinks: go for it lifes too short!

Cheers
Chimo

my thoughts exactly pete..we will wait for a few months and see how she feels then...then we will probaly go and do some serious tlaking about the boat.

Skusto
29-08-2009, 04:20 PM
well we were goin there to browse and ended up walking out with a new engine.. 7 warrenty is what made us buy.. its funny though most of the engines werent cheaper i swear some of the brands went up in price.

BilgeBoy
29-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Just got back from the show and thought it was pretty much the same as last year...lots of boats to crawl over, good guest speakers and a few bargains,

Here are a few items that I found interesting:
1. You can now purchase "Dried Sand Worms" for $5.00 a packet...I swear, now I have scene it all.
2. Picked up a packet of placcies and some jig heads with my annual BnB subscription
3. Thought the stabbie craft dive boat was "cute"
4. Cheap sunglasses
5. 3 discount tackle shops selling their wares.
6. Ya gotta get a demo from the "Glue" guy in the foyer
7. Get a yellow bucket from boys in blue (just answer a few questions)
8. $1 raffle in a tinny combo from the VMR boys
9. Have a go on the fishing simulator....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
10. Check out the BIAS Stand....wink wink Fella's

Regards

BilgeBoy

tunaticer
29-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Spent 3 hours there this afternoon and although there was a fair bit of glitter and sparkle, it just did not impress me much. The deals on offer were the same deals they offer any weekend at their boat yards if you haggle them, so no real gains there.
The tackle outlets there were moving a fair bit of stock with most being standard shelf prices for the items on offer. Matter of fact the only real bargain i saw was the Pfluegar president tacklebag at around $30 off retail.
Bought a sounder for $20 less than the special price listed in the Bias catalogue as well.
Overall I thought the sales staff were over thier jobs by mid day and looking forward to getting home.....a long way from knockoff time.
I watched Chief's presentation and he held a captive audience and provided lots of good tips and locations. Well worth spending that time time listening to him whether you are experienced or not.

Next time i think i will bypass the boat show and hit the tinny and tackle show instead.

charleville
29-08-2009, 07:11 PM
For the first time in many years, I did not attend this year for a few reasons:-

1. There has become a certain sameness in the boating component of the show such that I never really see much different from year to year.

2. I usually spend nearly all of my time at the fishing seminars but I struggled to see anything much new in the agenda that I had not seen at least once and indeed sometimes several times before. I am pleased to see that Chief pulled a good crowd as his gig would be one of the newer sessions there. I keep hoping to see a professional crabber do a talk there - at which time I would definitely attend.

3. Yes, the free yellow buckets are good but I already have six of them. :D

4. I have been delighted in past years with my tackle purchases at boat shows but tackle has not seemed to feature very highly at these shows in recent years and not worth exploring so there is no pulling power in that aspect of the shows.

Judging by some of the comments here by people who attended this year, my decision to not attend seems vindicated. Because it is a "same old, same old" show, it does not rate highly with me for information acquisition nor for escapism value. For escapism, the Sanctuary Cove show is better.

I did go to Whitworth's "Brisbane Boat Show" sale yesterday, though. I reckon that half of the mature aged men in Brisbane were there. ;D It was sure busy!

lippa
29-08-2009, 08:53 PM
best buy of the show?

bush n beaches t-shirts, 15 bucks, and they have them in xxxl, lol

shrunken pojie
29-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Well I bought my ticket online and the buggers didn't send it to me so I didn't go. Probably saved myself a stack in "useless junk". Will just have to go to the boaties market instead!

MickInTheMud
29-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Didn't plan to go but was asked very nicely by our fund raising officer if we would forgo a duty day to help at the boat show. (I have a great deal of respect for the man and the effort he puts in. )

So on Sunday at the Coast Guard Redcliffe stand.

$1 a ticket.

Or just give us a smile and say g'day.

Cheers Mick.

captain rednut
29-08-2009, 11:41 PM
THE boat show at the convection centre is not the same and i cant get in to it like the old days at the ekka grounds! maybe they need to get it closer to the water to get the bigger boats involved and make it more interesting???

littlemac
30-08-2009, 03:38 AM
i agree with captain rednut.

its just not the same anymore??????

cheers

brett

tigermullet
30-08-2009, 05:44 AM
THE boat show at the convection centre is not the same and i cant get in to it like the old days at the ekka grounds! maybe they need to get it closer to the water to get the bigger boats involved and make it more interesting???

And I thought it was just me! If the boat show goes back to the exhibition grounds I will go again. Two visits to the show at the Convention centre have turned me off for life.

AnthonyL
30-08-2009, 03:17 PM
We saw two boats that we were interested in buying, just need to do some research on them both and get a test drive then go from there.

Salesman Darren from Coastal Powerboats was very helpful with no hard sales pressure as were the guys I spoke to at Marine Tune. One of these two will be sure to get a sale from us.

Yeah the days of the ekka boatshow was te best.

Chimo
30-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Great to hear there are a few good salepeople out there being recognized.

Bit of a change from the no shows mentioned above at the same Boat Show.

Cheers
Chimo

PinHead
30-08-2009, 04:35 PM
gotta remember Pete..a lot of the people that want to aks questions about prices et are just tyre kickers..I would hate me a salesperson there

Chimo
30-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi PH

Given your experience with sales people when you were looking to buy TMD you would have / did notice there is a difference between those salepeople who don't understand that fishermen go to lot of trouble to look like bums and the sales people who don't even front up to look and if they do front they shouldn't have bothered as they are probably in the wrong job.

Their job by the way is to deal with tyre kickers and turn them into customers.

Obviously when you were looking around at the show with your better half you hadn't dressed in fisherman mode especially as Sue sure wouldn't have. Then again your Striper salespeople have done the deal once and they are not going to leave you to your own devices!

The 29 looks good and the 33 even better by the way. Also I know a spot you might be able to leave either of them and perhaps they could crossbreed with a Vag!

Cheers
Chimo

PinHead
30-08-2009, 05:04 PM
LOL Pete..that was our next situation..where woud we berth it..as you know I have dealt wioth a few salespeople over the years on various boats..some lost sales because of their attitude towards me..I know i am not the easiest person to deal with but answer my questons honestly and give me a realistic price and a deal can be done.

As said previously, it all depends on how the better hafl feels about the situation when the time comes....she makes the calls and i am happy with that.l