PDA

View Full Version : 6m Sharkcat

Dean1
17-08-2009, 04:44 PM
All sharkcat cat fans what are your'e opinions on this model sharkcat? Its a 6m build date im unsure of im guessing in the 70's.

My dad had the same hull many years ago called 'Cool Cat' and he reckons it was a cracker of a boat and handled extremly well. They are a very heavy boat and the glass is alot thicker than the newer breed noosacats thats for sure!! Repowered and podded with say new twin 135's new trailer etc they would have to be a good package??? You dont see many around anymore and ive heard they were their best model ever built. Obviously weight has its negatives but also positives!

Any opinions??

Thanks Deano.

-spiro-
17-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Dean i think there is alot of work to be done on her......

ooglie74
17-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Dean mate what re you doing???
Your not going to go bigger are you?

Cheers Troy

sagair
17-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Those 20 footers are great boats, go for it.

stinky-stabi
17-08-2009, 09:27 PM
bullet proof m8....do you live on the sunny coast as there is a bloke who use's his cat commercially and has done so for 33 years in the same old bruce harris cat..got to be a good sign i reckon

thylacene
17-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I went on one of those in 1986 out over the bar at St Helens in Tasmania on a not very nice day. Apart from sore knees due to not knowing to keep them bent when they jumped the bar, it was an amazing piece of kit. It was great to fish from, and in adverse conditions in and out of the bar, very impressive. Mind you it was being skippered by one of the local waterpolice who had no choice but to play in ordinary conditions often. The skipper knew his stuff. Scared the crap out of me the first couple of times

Greg P
17-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Deano - you know how I feel about those old 20s ;) Only problem is all the rest of the kit you need to tow them around.

Noelm
18-08-2009, 07:36 AM
they were just a shortened 23, they did suffer with trim if you did not know how to set the motors, especially in a 3/4 following sea, but once the owner/driver gets it all sorted out, they were OK, some had the petrol tanks beside the driver and passenger above the deck, convenient, but took up lots of room, pretty heavy in their day as well, I don't think much thought went into construction, if it was needed to be strong, just make it thicker seemed to be the way they were built.

Scaredy Cat
18-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Looks Ok for its age, IMO you would be going backwards

Dean1
18-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Well I have been toying with the idea of upsizing, but to a cat that is the same value as my 5.2. 20ft sharky/noosacat was my thought.

The one I posted here needs to much work i would have to get it for pretty well nicks to make it a worthwhile project. It has no sleeping area at all as well and the deck isnt really that much bigger than mine. I know for a fact that the ride quality is second to none tho which makes them so awsome. I was too young to go in my dads so Im not speaking from experience but reliable sources ( my Dad especially who very unfortunatly isnt with me anymore.)

I absolutely love my 5.2 KC and find it difficult to consider selling her. I am starting to and will be continuing to fish longer trips up north and the bit of extra comfort would be nice, but it comes with a price. Bigger car, bigger motors to run, harder to tow etc.

I also have an investment which im continually pumping $$ into and have even considered selling my pride to invest in this as a 2400 will eventually be in my front yard or a 2700 noosacat ;D

The only thing I am certain on is that id have no worries selling my current vessel as they are very very few and far between but gee ive sold some toys to only regret it later..

Regards, Deano.

hungry6
18-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Can you legally tow them 2700 with a normal 4by ? my 2300 is on the limit of the cruiser when she got fuel/water and gear. Dean, I would be savin up for something near new and find a good hull and stay with it.
Also you got to remember a noosacat hull cost more to run than a kevla on sheer weight.

supa29
19-08-2009, 02:06 PM
deano you should be looking at a plane, cause we were airbourne that much last time we may as well fly out to the banks. yeeeeha, mate solid boat more fuel to push her and bigger car to tow the heiffer, but great ride, mate i dont care what you buy cause you will still have to take me out so you can bring fish home.
p.s i will swap you if you want a bigger boat.

kel............