PDA

View Full Version : AFC Selections

Braidmaster
17-08-2009, 09:19 AM
just throwing one out there, my brother rang the organisers for a barra basstasstic comp that was to be held at monduran on the 3rd and 4th of october. to his surprise the event has been cancelled. the reason, because there was two members of the club that are also AFC anglers. these anglers are not allowed to fish the venue a few weeks prior to the event, so the whole basstasstic event was cancelled because it clashed with two people and the AFC. that is annoying but thats politics. 2 names were mentioned as the AFC anglers, one was recently relagated but seems to be still in the AFC. this is second hand information so its correctness is not confirmed, someone may be more informed out there in ausfish land, so please let me know the full truth if you are. Does anybody know who has EARNT the new barra AFC position?

this will be interesting to know for sure, if it is who i think it is i'll be very dissapointed in the honesty of the system, and the fact that you dont have to be the best, you only have to have the biggest name! or sell the most product!

Regards

Robert

setthehook
17-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Can you tell me more about this comp and has it been moved to a later date? Can anyone fish it? Cheers Rob.

Braidmaster
17-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Can you tell me more about this comp and has it been moved to a later date? Can anyone fish it? Cheers Rob.

new dates are being talked about but not sure when. and yes any one can fish it.

jimbamb
17-08-2009, 04:43 PM
if your info correct,,,seems to be same s##t as usuall
stuff the ordinary guys look after a couple of wannabees...
Jim

Awoonga
17-08-2009, 05:06 PM
just throwing one out there, my brother rang the organisers for a barra basstasstic comp that was to be held at monduran on the 3rd and 4th of october. to his surprise the event has been cancelled. the reason, because there was two members of the club that are also AFC anglers. these anglers are not allowed to fish the venue a few weeks prior to the event, so the whole basstasstic event was cancelled because it clashed with two people and the AFC. that is annoying but thats politics. 2 names were mentioned as the AFC anglers, one was recently relagated but seems to be still in the AFC. this is second hand information so its correctness is not confirmed, someone may be more informed out there in ausfish land, so please let me know the full truth if you are. Does anybody know who has EARNT the new barra AFC position?

this will be interesting to know for sure, if it is who i think it is i'll be very dissapointed in the honesty of the system, and the fact that you dont have to be the best, you only have to have the biggest name! or sell the most product!

Regards

Robert Robert had a talk to Russell Nowland from the Basstastic group about this and this is what he told me They had cancelled the Barra events at Both Awoonga and Monduran because they clashed with the ABT Barra events there He knows nothing about the AFC or who got in

Steve_Morgan
17-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Robert,

Thanks for another handful of Ausfish flavoured mud. Nothing like venting without knowing any of the facts.

There are no prefish bans for AFC.

The BARRA Tour events are in November/December, which also have no prefish bans.

Feel free to give me a call in the ABT office on (07) 3387 0888 if you need to educate me on AFC selection procedures. As far as I know - and I select the anglers - we're doing it as explained on the BARRA Tour.

There will be a few changes this year that will actually include a wider variety of anglers from the ABT tours.

Cheers!

Steve Morgan

NAGG
17-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Robert,

Thanks for another handful of Ausfish flavoured mud. Nothing like venting without knowing any of the facts.

There are no prefish bans for AFC.

The BARRA Tour events are in November/December, which also have no prefish bans.

Feel free to give me a call in the ABT office on (07) 3387 0888 if you need to educate me on AFC selection procedures. As far as I know - and I select the anglers - we're doing it as explained on the BARRA Tour.

There will be a few changes this year that will actually include a wider variety of anglers from the ABT tours.

Cheers!

Steve Morgan

Hi Steve

Out of curiosity ....... who are the barra anglers on this years AFC ?

Chris

gladbream
17-08-2009, 07:11 PM
trev
your right.... the awoonga event i had a look at the dates in my calendar and they were pretty close. no way that the dam could cope with that motor music. as for the afc and abt robert......... your telling the story.....

Steve_Morgan
17-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Chris,

As the format and schedule is still being finalised, not all potential anglers have been notified yet. Will post anglers after it's locked in as long as you can stop the keyboard heroes from wading in!

Cheers,

SM

Braidmaster
18-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Trev,

thanks for filling me in, afterall thats what i was after, the truth. i still dont see how the ABT effects that mondy event when its 6 weeks prior.

Steve,

also, thanks for the input, if there is no bans on prefish than i cant understand why i have been told otherwise. again i was after info from people in the know.
maybe you could expand on the wider variety of anglers included from the tour.
if not, i spose we shall wait and see.

NAGG
18-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Trev,

thanks for filling me in, afterall thats what i was after, the truth. i still dont see how the ABT effects that mondy event when its 6 weeks prior.

Steve,

also, thanks for the input, if there is no bans on prefish than i cant understand why i have been told otherwise. again i was after info from people in the know.
maybe you could expand on the wider variety of anglers included from the tour.
if not, i spose we shall wait and see.

I think the ABT prefish ban is only for Bream & Bass ..... with barra its midnight on the day

Chris

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
19-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Steve,
'Ausfish flavoured mud'- you might get accustomed to the taste eventually. Sour tastes in viewers' and competitors' mouths, just like the positives will work their way back to the starting point, the same as it does in all business and sporting competitions. When things are as 'clear as mud', viewers will continue to ask questions. Simple.
Johnny Mitchell

Steve_Morgan
19-08-2009, 10:44 AM
JM,

Apologies your mates didn't qualify for the show.

If you were actually at the BARRA Tour last year, you'd know - first hand - the qualification process.

There will be at least three new barra anglers on AFC this year - Al McNamara (ranked #3 on the BARRA Rankings), Matt Coleman (ranked #4 on the BARRA rankings) and Karl Rembacher, who performed the best across the two AFC venues on the BARRA tour in 2008.

They'll join Cy and Kerrin Taylor and Phil Strader.

Karl qualified in one of the smallest boats in the field - their team name 'Sh1tty Tinny".

Let the consiracy theories begin!

Cheers,

SM

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
19-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Steve,
You're quite funny. My mates are actually on the show. Did you not look into it? So when you finally realise that, you may then understand that I'm not a serial $*#t stirrer, but someone who voices what others strongly feel. I don't stand alone with my facts an opinions. If people are still questioning the procedure, and you are actually waiting for 'conspiracy theories' to be born, then it seems to me that you have left a major chink in the armour. That still leaves the 'clear as mud' sign in place. Don't shoot, just because I carry the message.
Johnny

vet
19-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Steve, It's great to finally see the afc featuring no 1,2,3 and 4th ranked competitors on the show. It's been a long time coming. Congratulation to Al, Matt and Karl, very consistent and deserving of their place on afc.
Thanks, scott

Steve_Morgan
19-08-2009, 12:47 PM
JM,

If you're the designated representative of the BARRA masses, how about a courtesy call to explain the inadequacies of what we do?

If we swapped seats, I'm sure you'd see me in your shoes as more of a cryptic grandstander than helper.

Congratulations to the new AFC inductees.

I'm annoyed with myself for getting sucked into this inane debate. I'd be a crap barra. I can't help but bite.

Hope Ausfishers enjoy this year's show - if not, no-one's forcing you to watch it.

Cheers,

SM

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
19-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Steve,
One may only be labelled a 'cryptic grandstander' if the other didn't choose to stop, smell the roses and listen to the messages behind the scenes, regardless of who pens or speaks them. You have had courtesy calls in the past, and written inquiries on your own QFM site. Maybe only when things are aired among the public, rather than 'one on one' in private does a more truer response unfold, instead of it falling on deaf ears. Even if we look at some recent posts above that represent part of the viewer/competitor scene we actually see evidence of praise, for a system that finally sees credit given where credit is due, instead of a past that disgruntles competitors. You can call this a debate if you wish, but an open discussion is what you stepped into, and what continues.
I'm not the designated driver of the barra masses, but I hear loud and clear the message on tips of many tongues. I also watch, take note, and like all others, can formulate an opinion on what I see, and what you write.
Now, how does, a barra competitor in this year's ABT 2009 barra rounds win a place on an AFC barra boat 2010? How will you run next years AFC barra rounds and what criteria does any angler have to meet this year to have his or her bum on the AFC barra boat 2010? How many new places will be available and what peg does an angler have to reach to see this happen? Every keen barra angler would love to know what achievement has to be made to be rewarded for their time, travel, money and effort at play.
Johnny Mitchell

matt fraser
19-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Steve,

Great to see the AFC anglers named, congrats to them, well done.

I'm really looking forward to see how it all goes, its going to be great to see teams of anglers fishing bream and bass too. All the best for the running of the AFC.

Johnny,

Why don't you and Harro team up for the Awoonga and Monduran events? You never know you might make AFC! We need someone to try and kick the Taylors' butts! No one else has been able to do it yet. Probably because you've been coaching them too well!

Cheers,

Matt

Steve_Morgan
19-08-2009, 03:26 PM
JM,

I know where I've gone wrong. I haven't had the professional courtesy of tracking you down to divulge the mechinations of my business.

It's time that I granted you this courtesy, which may or may not satisfy your altruistic, self-appointed spearhead statesmanship.

When ABT started, fishing tournaments were better known for their beer drinking than their professionalism. Teams that won events were disinclined to share knowledge and as such, were often branded cheats, whether they won legally or not. Plenty of events existed, but none were linked together to provide a calendar of related entities - especially ones that targeted single species.

I'd won a fly fishing event before and had been tarred with the 'you're a cheat' brush - even though I had photographs and an observer on board. Couple that with a prize that never eventuated and it was an experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone - even you!

So, the goals of ABT were established and haven't changed to this day.

• Maintain formats that encourage sharing of knowledge. Steve Bain coined "Who Shares Wins" in 2000 and it's endured.
• Make the events non-invitational. Anyone can turn up to a Qualifier and give it a go if they want to front the entry fee and can meet the minimum safety requirements.
• Make the experience of winning an event an overwhelmingly positive one, rather than the opposite.
• Maintain safety standards over and above legislated ones. We've been wearing safety lanyards and PFDs for a decade now.
• Maintain a 'pathway' for anglers with ability to move to the top of their sport. We've sent many anglers - expenses paid - to compete in bass fishing events in the USA. Some of these anglers started as 'non-boaters' and progressed all the way to the top.
• Contribute to the fishery. We've now donated around $100,000 in cash to fish stocking.

To facilitate the process, ABT is run as a P/L company, rather than anything that involves a committee. We sell sponsorship to the fishing and boating industry and assume the position of custodians of that money. The sponsors want to grow the industry and we spend the cash in the ways we think will best do that. Since inception, that income stream has never gone backwards.

In short - ABT is a tool for industry development.

AFC, on the other hand, was developed to market fishing to the masses. In theory, it's designed to take out-of-industry sponsorship money and use it for this end.

AFC has no entry fees - anglers are actually paid to fish - and it relies 100% on sponsorship to exist. Each year, its existence is solely dependent on the availability of these funds.

As such, the format of AFC is dictated to a degree by the amount of sponsorship available. Due mainly to the GFC (Global Finincial Crisis), AFC sponsorship revenue is down this year and one of the cost cutting measures is to run fewer teams.

Turning a negative into a positive, we've decided to put two anglers per species into a team - meaning that we can get more anglers involved in the three teams competing.

Now ... at the time of the BARRA Tour last year, this wasn't the case. There was only one slot up for grabs and we were six months away from selecting the AFC venues. Anyone present correct me if I'm wrong, but I did get up at the Monduran event and said something along these lines: "The best angler across the two venues that will be used for AFC will get the slot."

This meant that if AFC went to Teemburra and Monduran, for instance, then the angler with the best AOY points totals between the two would get the position.

As venue selection can be influenced by availability of tourism funds (for instance, Mackay Tourism may subsidise us filming in their area), then there's no way possible to set the qualification process for BARRA in concrete.

BREAM and BASS are easy - we have Grand Finals for those species. We have no BARRA Grand Final because those who make the effort to come of the BARRA Tour like to fish all of the events and not have to either sit on the sidelines for an event - or make a big return journey to fish it.

So you can bang on as much as you like about the cloak-and-dagger stuff, but in reality, me making concrete promises a year out that are contingent on so many factors is, in my opinion, the worst thing I can do.

I'd rather underpromise and overdeliver. This year, it was possible to qualify for AFC BARRA for $250 in entry fees (your half of the Monduran/Awoonga cost), a $50 ABT membership and a bucketload of skill.

If there's a better deal around, please let me know.

Personally, I take nothing from ABT, donate back prizemoney that I win and am the one holding the can if it all goes tits-up. I shudder to think what AFC has cost us over the years - I'm only holding half of that can, but when there's any shortfalls, that's where it comes from.

That may be the reason why I'm sceptical of the always-public feedback of someone who has never fished an ABT event.

Regardless, I hope that this information helps you - and all of the wonderful Ausfish community - understand a little of the process and the rationale that goes into our events.

Cheers,

SM

Dick Pasfield
19-08-2009, 06:20 PM
It's time that I granted you this courtesy, which may or may not satisfy your altruistic, self-appointed spearhead statesmanship.:lolk::lolk::lolk:Jeez Steve if you talk to people the way you write at them you must be either handy in a blue or got a thick head from the floggings ;)

Handy info btw was always wondering about the barra comps etc across that way

moggy1
19-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I support steve and his comps 100%. Have done many others that dont compare. I even won a comp and when the results were in the prizes were suddenly changed.
JM not all people that do ABT events want to be on AFC. I mearly do the comps for the atmosphere of the competitors around me. Next time you post JM please dont post on my behalf i promised myself this year not to be political and it has come to a few people that dont want to understand the workings of ABT or AFC.
Moggy

Tropicaltrout
19-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Steve

Fella you got one thing wrong in this whole scenario, and that's sarcasim toward the Ausfish community and inparticular the one's like me that par-take in Impoundment Barra fishing for the sheer passion of it and just so happen to enjoy posting on here and communicating on this fantastic subject and mate I have met and ejoyed the company of many of them....

The AFC has its place as all the comps do due to funds , stocking and tourism although not something I will ever do ( got no need enjoy the relaxed style) and what you posted on here in the above breaking down what it delivers is awesome and a good read and look forward to the show...

So in regards to this don't pass judgement on here you can do that by getting in you car and joining us on the muster????

As for Johnny now I not saying anything to blow smoke up anyones ass but the guy has put the time in on the wet stuff and has always been open to questions, and post away many answers to that of us mere mortals, aswell as shared many of his own tactics through dvd articles and on here , and other sites and has been open to the critics and for that we all are greatful and hold the up most respect, not bad for a bloke that most have never officially met. That's what Ausfish is about...

Cheers Nath

NAGG
20-08-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm glad to see consistency rewarded on this years AFC & the introduction of 2 barra anglers per crew.
I guess Steve can do what ever he likes with the AFC & ABT ...... Its his baby. However it is important that everyone who pays to fish the ABT barra tour knows the lay of the land .

Chris

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 08:10 AM
• Maintain a 'pathway' for anglers with ability to move to the top of their sport.
Steve,
I believe this line of yours is what the discussion angles toward- the area where in the past, the paying participant, who has done well, has not been rewarded. No pathway, no nothing! ( I didn't have to explain that again. ) Now, I cannot see why a criteria can't be set prior to any fishing event, so all anglers who wish to make AFC can plan a self motivated tact and do what needs to be done to make it there. There is no point making the statement after the events, or half way through when you have left one lake. A skilled angler cannot go back and change history, but could change a result with better planning, if criteria was laid out prior. That is the issue anglers often talk about. As many anglers know, mental states can override fishing skill. The mental side can be killed by continued let downs, or lack of faith in the selection process. Any profiled sport that I know of has criteria guidelines laid out well before the main event. No one would compete for the higher level if they didn't know what they had to achieve.

If there's a better deal around, please let me know.
That is all that is trying to be said here- a fair and equal go for all who fish them. Criteria laid out, open, fair, and understood prior to events.
People shouldn't have to fish ABT or AFC for you to take a long look at their feed back. Is it devalued because it comes from an outsider? Many highly skilled barra anglers don't bother fishing them for reasons listed and unlisted. Many, like I, are on the outside looking in, sometimes a better position to be in to see the whole picture- and offer feedback.
The list of positives and benefits of AFC is fantastic, well done, no one is questioning that.
The barra world is an interesting one. I and several others have been documenting barra history for a fairly good period, and microscoping as many corners and sectors as practically possible. From WA, NT, NQ, CQ and the like, we have done our homework and time with remote guides, visitors, living barra legends, many comp anglers, travellers, commercial operators and so on, so we do get to meet, see and hear a great deal about the industry as a whole. We have stopped and smelt the roses, and from this, feedback comes.
You don't have to look at my/our/the feedback; your choice.
Your words-
So you can bang on as much as you like about the cloak-and-dagger stuff,
There is no cloak here, I'm in the open, and frankly, I fail to see the 'dagger stuff', I just skip through that and get to the point of your replies.

Johnny Mitchell

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Moggy,
I haven't ever posted on your behalf; no collection of English and grammar in my posts have described that notion. In fact, I can't remember the last time we even shared a few words, so I have no material from you that could be used.
Yea, I understand that many don't want to fish AFC, but for those that do, its the criteria that needs highlighting.
You said-
.....and it has come to a few people that dont want to understand the workings of ABT or AFC.
Or is it that many actually don't know how ABT or AFC barra really works? That is the million dollar question that has been raised in the barra loop.
Cheers. I hope you do well on AFC this year. I'll be looking forward to watching you.
Johnny

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Matt Fraser,
The Taylor men are naturals, and their lives will take a unique path when the time comes. Fishing, for them, is just another passion of young development. Watch that space, who knows where they will end up when they find their true life direction. They have done well for youngsters running at idle speed. Look out when they put their heart and sole into a life long commitment.
I don't fish barra comps, but have fished salt fishing comps. I learn more from sitting, listening, and watching. I test myself and predict outcomes prior to events by overlaying water conditions and weather conditions with comp angler's main stay technique base. Many anglers are off track before they start. I also gain satisfaction from assisting and overseeing the Taylors doing what needs to be done on the day. I do kick their butts from a coach's perspective. I'm not their coach, they don't need it, but we do share a unique friendship where I can get important messages across in a firm way. You give them an inch and they turn it into a mile. A credit to them for their achievements.
See you up here soon.
Johnny

Braidmaster
20-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Now, I cannot see why a criteria can't be set prior to any fishing event, so all anglers who wish to make AFC can plan a self motivated tact and do what needs to be done to make it there. There is no point making the statement after the events, or half way through when you have left one lake. A skilled angler cannot go back and change history, but could change a result with better planning, if criteria was laid out prior. Johnny Mitchell

exactly what is missing, if the criteria is laid out before hand the Abt may lose many competitors. How many people would spend there time, money, holidays from work and being away from the family to fish dams and events that didn't effect an AFC selection. i'd bet AFC is on the minds of the majority of anglers.
The angler who topped the northern sector is probably spewing and wondering why he bothered, although i cant speak for that angler. yet we have anglers selected from a rankings list and and a southern anglers list. can we get to a stage where we have only one overall ranking list. giving all anglers a fair go, especially the thinking anglers who have large work commitments and may be only able to fish iether the northern or southern rounds. does the southern dams take preference because they relate to the majority of the market, maybe more vulnerable to simple reasoning of fishing. selling simple fishing ideas and trends. eg slow rolled slick rigs and modifications as published lately. how far behind the times are the majority of anglers being held. giving simple answers like buy these lures and you will catch barra. boil these lures and you will get a podium finish.

matt fraser
20-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm with Moggy in supporting what Steve has done with tournament fishing. I don't agree with everything he does, and won't be fishing this years Barra ABT events, but he has taken tournament fishing in the right direction in this country. Many other organisations have tried and failed.

I have learnt so much more from tournament fishing in the past ten years than the previous ten years being involved in fishing clubs and club comps. I've also met some great people, and am now making my living in the tackle industry, which works hand in hand with tournaments. Tournaments do drive tackle, techniques, boats and accessories to new hieghts.

One thing I don't enjoy is not catching fish - comps that are run at times not condusive to good fishing suck! I would rather spend my precious spare time with family or fishing elsewhere for other species that ARE biting.

Ausfish - I have learnt more about impoundment barra fishing from Ausfish and the guys I've met here, than from any other source. There is a great bunch of anglers here that are willing to share information in a positive way. We don't all agree on everything and Steve, don't take the comments from a couple of members as if they are coming from all Ausfishers.

Johnny,

There are great barra anglers, and there are great tournament barra anglers. The former cannot be measured, you can check the scoreboards for the latter. They are also the ones who get cudos for their results.

I see a massive hole in your statement
Many highly skilled barra anglers don't bother fishing them for reasons listed and unlisted. Many, like I, are on the outside looking in, sometimes a better position to be in to see the whole picture- and offer feedback.

I don't believe it is possible to see the whole picture looking from the outside! Have a crack Johnny! Jump the fence and have a look from the inside as well. You might just enjoy it!

Good luck to all doing the ABT Barra events this year, and also to those who are just heading to the dam for their own style of of barra action. I'm counting down the sleeps right now.

Matt

Steve B
20-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I have sat on the fence for this one!! I love my barra fishing social and I love my barra fishing tournament.

But if I had the gift of writing a good reply, it would be something along the lines of what Matt Fraser just wrote. It is an excellent summation IMHO.

I am personally in a similar position to Moggy, I dont aspire to AFC. If I got a postion yeah I would take it!...but its not my driving motivation for doing ABT tournaments....and I dont think it the driving motivation for the majority of angler that I have met in the past few years on the tour either. Its been a fun, social time with some serious fishing in some tough condition and some good.

Criteria?? well the system Steve has described seems pretty transparent to me. In the big picture, Its Steves business..he has the right to employ who he wants. After all, the AFC competitors are employees/ambasasadors of the AFC brand and its sponsors. There are majority new names this year. Good on and good luck to them!!

Cheers Steve

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Steve B says-
Criteria?? Well the system Steve has described seems pretty transparent to me. In the big picture, Its Steves business..he has the right to employ who he wants. After all, the AFC competitors are employees/ambasasadors of the AFC brand and its sponsors.
Steve B,
Well how on earth does a motivated and skilled angler get on AFC; if you are saying that the business owner employs who he wants for the roll on AFC? Why then do people train, and pay an entry fee if there is no light at the end of the tunnel for them? So what you say above is- that there is no solid skill criteria, but a selection process that is controlled by sponsorship dollars and the organiser?
Johnny

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Matt Fraser,
I can see enough, from the outside, and matched with communications from a fair cross section inside, who do fish it. It does give lots of information to work with. Also, being on the water and watching the scenes unfold in front of my eyes whilst both ABT and AFC barra events are running does assist in seeing the bigger picture. It is why we are probably on this balancing point where some of the competitors have asked for answers. Someone has to ask. I wouldn't be doing the asking if I haven't seen enough of the scene. I feel, they are very simple questions that should deliver simple answers. No harm in that.
Cheers,
Johnny

darylive
20-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Ausfish - I have learnt more about impoundment barra fishing from Ausfish and the guys I've met here, than from any other source. There is a great bunch of anglers here that are willing to share information in a positive way. We don't all agree on everything and Steve, don't take the comments from a couple of members as if they are coming from all Ausfishers.

Matt

There has been some good information come from this thread and I seem to recall that was the reason for the initial post ::).

I enjoy the comradery and free exchange of information on ausfish. I personally don't support the comment that Most fisherman aspire to fish the comps. I am sure we would all like to be in a position to make a living from our passion but that can mean turning a relaxed recreational passion into a pressured career. Either way this is a great venue for the exchange of ideas and information.

Preferrably on fishing more so than politics but it is interesting to us mere mortals to know how the selections, big comps etc. run and what techniques the pros / celebrities are using.

The comps do provide motivation, entertainment and development in our field of interest. They also help raise the profile of recreational and fishing comps to the attention of those who make decisions that impact on our passion of fishing. If there is no public profile of the fishing fraternity then those freaks campaigning for land rights for gay whales would have us all sitting under pyramids eating toefood and s#itting candles.:uhoh:

Thanks all, please be mindful we are here to exchange helpful information to enhance the experience of fishing in the best place in the world! AUSTRALIA. 8-)

To the shed!.......:aim:

Steve B
20-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Steve B says-
Criteria?? Well the system Steve has described seems pretty transparent to me. In the big picture, Its Steves business..he has the right to employ who he wants. After all, the AFC competitors are employees/ambasasadors of the AFC brand and its sponsors.
Steve B,
Well how on earth does a motivated and skilled angler get on AFC; if you are saying that the business owner employs who he wants for the roll on AFC? Why then do people train, and pay an entry fee if there is no light at the end of the tunnel for them? So what you say above is- that there is no solid skill criteria, but a selection process that is controlled by sponsorship dollars and the organiser?
Johnny

Johhny,

I should have stayed on the fence:P ....or at leasted worded my post better..apologies for that!!

Yes he can put who he likes on the show....but he didn't as clearly explained in his post with the new faces according to rank. I like the last position going to a 'wildcard' (want of a better word) entry for the best ranked over the designated AFC dams..that would be particularly good if the dams covered both a range from north and south, hence encouraging anglers from North to travel south and visa vera...but there is obvoiusly timing and filming issues etc that dictate what dams are used..thats an ABT/AFC thing, none of our business. Now in saying that...If the stated format is adhered to from here on in...then all aspiring AFC anglers know what they have to do to earn a spot in future...do you agree?? Its now written in black and light blue in his post. It should be the end of story.

Again I still believe a vast % of anglers do the tournaments where and when they can according to circumstance ($$, time off work, mates etc) and the enjoyment, rather than the desire to fish AFC...there are exceptions of course. I see some good young fellas/ladies not far down the ranking lists that are the future of the sport, wouldn't suprise me if they are there in years to come. ABT and AFC are a great concept that has given some little know anglers great exposure and aspriations...exposing some awesome hidden talents, and also exposed short comings of a few others bringing them back to earth..myself included (before anyone beats me too it!;) ).

Cheers Steve

matt fraser
20-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Great thread!

C'mon Johnny, its the Aussie way to have a go! at the Awoonga events at least, you know you want to!:P Its not like its out of your way.

I'd love to see you fish them, hell I'd even pay your entry fees, if you signed up.

Trev said, you'd probably go alright, if you could stop eating for long enough to have a couple of casts. If you team up with Harro, he should have enough tucker on board to keep you both going!

Trev is on the water as I type this, he said to give you heaps!

Cheers,

Matt

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Steve
If there is a clear and fair line drawn in the sand that can be veiwed by all competitors, then that is what many would agree with, self included, because as you stated, there are some dynamite anglers waiting in line to come to the fore; sadly, some have already left. The current implied level of skill is actually behind where it should be. It is 2009, modern barra information is available on this very site; the same information the Taylors have scooped up and run off with. Do we really think the Taylors have had a lucky break, or are freaks of nature that are untouchable- No! The situation has turned around where 'gun lures' fall by the way side and actual skill to read nature and fish leaps to the front. That is, on an average, what keeps names on top of the list, time and time again. Gone are the days where free-ranging lake barra ate any lure with almost any technique. Fine lines exist; those competition anglers with those skills and a cool calm head should strive to the front to share what really matters in the barra catching world. To have those men and women in the shadows is like tying down a world champ.
Johnny

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Matt,
I've competed via my clients on deck during several ABT and AFC rounds to score more than a high percentage of any two anglers in the field. I'm more of a study type in barra, than a competitor, but I'm happy to give my heart and sole to the industry to advance anglers with quality information and material to make them develop and think. I and a few others are working hard to sway anglers back to mother nature, the area that gives them more answers than any they would ever want; way more than 'hype' can produce- it doesn't come close. I'll go out of my way to see anglers get better opportunity for what I call 'fair and just'. Teachers often sit back and let others grow, that is why I sit on the sideline helping others that wish to advance. I cop a few knocks on the chin along the way, but am happy to keep on keepin' on to get that job done.
I'm happy to eat biscuits with you and Trev when you come up, I'd even throw a line in beside you. Tell Trev to toughen up a bit!! He'll need to be mentally strong for ABT.
Cheers,
Johnny

Steve B
20-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Steve
If there is a clear and fair line drawn in the sand that can be veiwed by all competitors, then that is what many would agree with, self included, because as you stated, there are some dynamite anglers waiting in line to come to the fore; sadly, some have already left. The current implied level of skill is actually behind where it should be. It is 2009, modern barra information is available on this very site; the same information the Taylors have scooped up and run off with. Do we really think the Taylors have had a lucky break, or are freaks of nature that are untouchable- No! The situation has turned around where 'gun lures' fall by the way side and actual skill to read nature and fish leaps to the front. That is, on an average, what keeps names on top of the list, time and time again. Gone are the days where free-ranging lake barra ate any lure with almost any technique. Fine lines exist; those competition anglers with those skills and a cool calm head should strive to the front to share what really matters in the barra catching world. To have those men and women in the shadows is like tying down a world champ.
Johnny

Agree 100% Johnny. Last years toughness proved exactly what your saying. There is no excuse for anyone who wants to find the info, not to find it....its everywhere. The Taylor have proven this...and practiced it.. They are the bench mark and its high. As we both said, there are some others coming along..1 in particular on here, who I think has what it takes. Time will tell.

cheers Steve

leelee
20-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Social fishing and tournament fishing can never be compared because it is like comparing apples with oranges.

A great comp angler may not be a great social angler or vice versa. Irrespective of the targeted comp species, Barra Bass or Bream, they are all a challenging species in their own right.

To many times have I seen anglers who think they are the next biggest thing, compete in a comp and actually realise they don't even rate. You ask them and they tell you how good they are, but you only have to look through the scoreboard after a comp and see them in the doughnut truck happily eating some crispy delights:-[

Dedication, confidence, hard work and prefishing mean nothing unless you actually boat fish in a comp for the serious comp angler but having fun and relaxing can also achieve the same results in a comp.

I for one believe there are some awesome social anglers out there that have the potential and ability to become completive anglers that could remain on top for several years, but the lack of comp experience would see their ability to keep their mind in game would be their undoing. I am pretty sure Matty has seen this for just about every comp he has ever fished.

Also I like the idea of having 100% Barra, Bass and Bream anglers on the boat. It will be good to see if the change in format is effective.

Cheers

Lee

setthehook
20-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Lee you mean after a season right? cant judge anyones capabilities in one round....
Im planning on joining the comp scene, not fussed wether i win or not but looking forward to seeing another part of fishing, if i stop having fun i wont be there! I need to fill the space left after leaving LBG....barra seems to be it for now :) think i will enjoy the comps and they are a great excuse to go fishing!!

leelee
20-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Lee you mean after a season right? cant judge anyones capabilities in one round....

Nope either one round or a season it doesn't matter.

Its the angler/s who have been boasting how they will smash them and they have been smashing them for weeks and weeks, well thats the anglers I'm talking about.

Alot of people can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

I was talking to Nagg about a certain angler I met at Mondy in the past and it just so happens that from me mentioning the rods , the reels and the lures he used and aslo mentioning the anglers awsome ability to catch fish everywhere ( basically his words not mine ) that it actually turned out that he also knew the guy from comps:o ;D ;D . These are the guys that i am talking about.

You will do OK in the comps if you have fun and don't stress and don't take it to seriously. Enjoy the atmosphere of the comp and have fun chatting to your fellow anglers.

Cheers

Lee

setthehook
20-08-2009, 08:47 PM
cheers mate!! have fun i shall and hopefully learn a thing or 2 :) and hopefullyi dont arriv to my spots half an hour after the skeeters lmao...

leelee
20-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Yours will be plenty quick enough.

Speed v's matted fish, well I think you have that ratio pretty well sorted out;D

Cheers

Lee

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
21-08-2009, 08:07 AM
So, ladies and gentleman, correct me if I'm wrong, but from the reception and information given by the bloke in question, and with unanswered questions directed from myself and the thread starter, no criteria actually exists for ABT- AFC barra that delivers the fair line in the sand; so it seems you can spend as much money, time, training, and fish as hard as you like, be as good as you can, and still easily miss the opportunity of future advancement at the next level due to a hit and miss selection process. That is all we asked initially, that is the answer that seems most evident.
No criteria, no chance. So atleast anglers can fish it for reasons known, and enjoy what it has to offer, and what it hasn't for those keen to grow.
Thanks for all input from anyone who posted, it helps understand a cross section of the industry.
Cheers
Johnny Mitchell
The End.

mr_yamba
21-08-2009, 09:20 AM
like sand through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.

matt fraser
21-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Johnny, this is as close to AFC barra selection criteria that we are going to get.

Now ... at the time of the BARRA Tour last year, this wasn't the case. There was only one slot up for grabs and we were six months away from selecting the AFC venues. Anyone present correct me if I'm wrong, but I did get up at the Monduran event and said something along these lines: "The best angler across the two venues that will be used for AFC will get the slot."

This meant that if AFC went to Teemburra and Monduran, for instance, then the angler with the best AOY points totals between the two would get the position.

As venue selection can be influenced by availability of tourism funds (for instance, Mackay Tourism may subsidise us filming in their area), then there's no way possible to set the qualification process for BARRA in concrete.

SM

Initially I thought this years selection was fair and just, but looking at the overall AOY tables, if the two highest places went on AOY rather than Rankings, then Jason Crofts and Jason Wilhelm would have been in.

Jason Crofts is also very unlucky about the AFC locations.

Yes there is still no clear line in the sand, and yes it is needed.

Matt

Fitzy
21-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Guys,

[With moderators cap on], this string has been brought to my attention & is being watched. Am more than happy to let the coversation & debate contunue to its final destination.

Please consider 2 points... If you rubbish Ausfish I'll kill it, and please no personal attacks.

Thanks all. :)

Garry Fitzgerald

Braidmaster
21-08-2009, 10:31 AM
yes,yes,yes. Matt. it seems we are getting more people seeing the inefficencies of the criteria. hopefully we are gaining interest from more people who are wondering the same thing. there seems to be many different paths that selection can take place on. standards need to be set. a one track path that sees the deserving move on and grow and lead many other anglers onto the right path.

matt fraser
21-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Most importantly it would stop the mumblings, and posts like this wouldn't even happen. Johnny wouldn't have to dribble on so much, and would have more time to eat biscuits. :P

Cheers,

Matt

moggy1
22-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Names in this post are for examples only not attacks.

Barra fishing.
Where would it be without Steve and his ABT / AFC :'(
If there wasn't a ABT comp to start with what would the Taylor boys be doing right now. :-/ The very first year they entered they went without a fish.:-[ They went home studdied hard on this site and many others to gather as much info as possible. Put much of there time on the water at the time as their father could take them. Came back the folowing year leaving the rest of us shaking our heads in disbelief :o and with a feeling that our sub standard approachs had to lift. They finally made there way onto AFC through the ABT, where now they are house hold names. Congrats to you boys. 8-)
Would the boys be rated a pretty good in their own area and not known by general public in the rest of Australia. It brings thought to the mind.
Jason Wilhelm & Matthew Mott just another pair of guides, think about it, i think differently.

What about when 4 stratos boats were introduced in the earlier yrs would bass boats in general have the same market they have today with tournament anglers.:-/
What i am trying to say is why do a hand full of anglers only see the down side to what Steve has acheived in this country and make personal attacks at him through the tournament scene he has put so much into>:( . Yes i agree that there are some flaws in the system. What system has not got flaws. I am sure that in due time and more anglers respect the current situations that the flaws will be rectified by ABT and its staff.

I know that in time the Tournament scene and Bass boats in general will take its hold on this country. But when and How long would it have taken without some television apperance of sorts. The tournament scene for years has been a place of higher learning and a place of shared thought and techniques for many. AFC has been a place where sub standard practises have been shunned upon and the utmost respect and wellbeing of fish and the enviroment have been shown and encouraged across Australia.
Only a handfull of anglers are not seeing this picture but degrading it and it's makers through to its followers.

I am for one Thankfull of ABT / AFC for what it is now and will be in the future.

Cheers Moggy

Dick Pasfield
22-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Sorry Moggy I don't see your point of view. I wouldn't know the difference between a RBT and an ABT and from that perspective barra fishing would always be where it is today with or without any single entity, a part of northern Australian culture.

Does it need a tourmament culture, I don't know? But I'd suggest that the tournament scene and what's associated with it needs the barra culture far more than the reverse.

TinarooTriumph
22-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Are we watching the Australian Fishing Championships, or the American Fishing Championships? Shit I dunno!

Nuff said.

Wellbeing of fish hey moggy? If you were a Bass kept in a livewell for a few hours and then lip-gripped and neckwrenched with another mate for a photo, I'd think you'd have a different opinion. The 'double' Bass pose is as good as hanging a barra up from a fencepost. Substandard practice right there matey!

Just keep in mind that Barra Nationals & Classic's have been up and running the N.T for quite some time now - ABT/AFC is NOT the only sole barra tournament scene in this country. Their competitions are flawless from what I've heard from genuine folk that fish them, these same blokes have fished 1 or 2 ABT's I may add. I know if a yank turned up on the Daly or Mary River, he'd be croc meat. ... and if Stratos/Skeeters tore up those rivers, every man and his dog would be croc meat as well.

BR65
22-08-2009, 08:25 PM
[quote=Dick Pasfield;1062765]Sorry Moggy I don't see your point of view. I wouldn't know the difference between a RBT and an ABT and from that perspective barra fishing would always be where it is today with or without any single entity, a part of northern Australian culture.
quote]

Theres a huge difference between "traditional" Australian barra culture, and where the tournament scene is taking, or seeminly attempting to take, the concept.
My old man fished the Teritory back in the 70's with heavy handlines and live bait, and still to this day raves about the great fishing. That was the accepted technique for that era and location.
Compare this to the "scene" now days, based on stocked impoundments accessable to S.E QLD anglers, and an influx of ever increasing shiny bling, noisy boats, colorfull shirts, dare I say, all with an eye to the mighty dollar, driven by sponsors/manufacturers determination to shift stock and increase sales.
Is this a good thing, does it take away from the traditional image of the north Aussie barra "icon", well theres a whole new world to explore just there.

BR65
22-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Does it need a tourmament culture, I don't know? But I'd suggest that the tournament scene and what's associated with it needs the barra culture far more than the reverse.

Couldnt agree more!!

Dick Pasfield
22-08-2009, 11:54 PM
There,s a huge difference between "traditional" Australian barra culture, and where the tournament scene is taking, or seemingly attempting to take, the concept.
My old man fished the Territory back in the 70's with heavy hand lines and live bait, and still to this day raves about the great fishing.Yes it's interesting that the temporal gap of 30 odd years you refer to also exists as a geographical one as well. It's much easier to visualize a mob sitting on the side of any of the rivers around home armed with hand lines than skeeters racing along them. And while evolution is ongoing, as anglers with a common interest we're lucky to still have that link back to when fishing for barra was anything but routine except for the very few that found themselves north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

I think that the cultural/traditional aspect of our fishing should be preserved to some degree even at the cost of some change where its strongest. Whilst where it's nonexistent the new will rush in to fill the vacuum. It's natural that both will sail along until one bumps into the other, that's already happened on a number of fronts, including now the media. Will it be a train crash or just two lanes merging to one?

I suspect the real benefits will come from choosing a direction to go forward in such a way that what went before is not lost.

BR65
23-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Nicely summed up Dick!

You could replace the word "fishing" with just about any Aussie past time, and what you have said re maintaing the links to the origin would be applicable.
In-evitably, what is happening down here will have an impact on the "spiritual" home of barra, the top end fishery. I reckon the enviroment you live and play in will limit it some what (no place for a skeeter up there), but other things are and will flow thru.
Is that good or bad?
I think its a two edged sword that can cut both ways. Advancement comes at a cost, this is borne by the manufacturers (sponsors), who are looking to re-coup that cost the best way they can, thru exposure to the masses with the end goal of increased sales. Comps and tournys, especially packaged up and televised, are an ideal way to do this.

Enjoy what youve got up there mate.

NAGG
23-08-2009, 09:56 AM
We certainly have veered away from the original subject here however its not a bad direction to head & makes for an interesting discussion.

I agree that tournament fishing needs to pay homage to the northern barra scene ......... specially events like the long run barra nationals & barra classic that follow a pathway that is closely aligned with the more traditional forms of top end wild barra fishing. :)
What we have with the ABT / AFC style of competition is a progression (a modification in format)...... & one that has a better fit with the Artificial environment of a stocked impoundment.
We really cant talk to too strongly about barra culture in our impoundments:-/ ..... After all - its only been 20 years since the first successful stocking of barra into Tinaroo. ( initial stocking were a few years earlier) ....... Most Barra impoundments have only been stocked over the last 10 years or so ....... & an ABT event has been held at some of these for over a third of that time.
:wink: Actually - We are the ones creating the impoundment barra culture ....... from the ever present wondering nomads , through the barra enthusiasts & on to the semi pro tournament anglers .

The fast glass boats are just a carry over from the bassers who ventured from ABT Bass events to fish the ABT Barra ......... The reality is that impoundment barra is still the domain of the humble tinny etc

*****More importantly is what has been learnt & has been adapted from the ABT /AFC tournament scene - & flowed on to mainstream techniques / equipment ......... Hell - 5 years ago it was all about trolling vipers or casting classics (50lb braid & big drum reels ::) ........ Today we have a much more varied approach particularly in the use of plastics & lighter outfits ( momentum of this mainstreaming has come through the televising of the AFC & other electronic media) >>>> So in many ways some homage should be paid to Steve Morgan & his insight to create the ABT & AFC ... with the inclusion of barra ...... :) Sure guys like Johnny Mitchell , Lindsay Dobe , Rod Harrison & others have all played their part ........ but with the exception of Harro - the others are relatively unknown in the greatest market place (NSW & Vic).

:-X While some would love to see their little ponds kept quiet so they can keep it to themselves ...... the bigger benefits come from having more people fish these places (SIP fees directly into fish stocking) + what $$$ are brought into the local community.

Yes people & organisations are making money out of the impoundment barra & bass scene ( Bream too) but through this , we do end up with a greater choice of product / tackle that has been developed & tested for our target species ....... Often in tournament conditions.8-)

As a social barra fishoe who is preparing for my second ABT barra tour ..... I have my foot in both camps - but am ever grateful for what I have learnt fishing competitively ........ I certainly feel that it makes you a better angler specially doing the tour where you are fishing 4 venues over a 2 week period ........ Adapt or fail - so there is little in the way of a comfort zone ........ results matter

Finally as for the AFC ...... its nice to know its there as a possibility :smiley: - The selection criteria is getting clearer but !!!! A standardisation is required.

Cheers

Chris

Dick Pasfield
23-08-2009, 01:49 PM
We certainly have veered away from the original subject here however it’s not a bad direction to head & makes for an interesting discussion. Agreed in the sense that we’ve widened the discussion but it does lead back to the nub of the debate if we follow the path. Within the framework of barramundi fishing there is plenty of diversity both in techniques and motives; ideally common threads apart from the species bind them all together. Those threads are the foundations on which everything is built.

Does an ‘American’ style of tournament belong here? If you reflect on our cultural values that make up the foundations I’d suggest the answer is no, but an Australian style tournament certainly does when and where the timing is right -
Actually - We are the ones creating the impoundment barra culture. And on that observation I’d say the right time and place has been found. However sustained success at that level will come only with Australian cultural values embedded at the heart of them. Some of the friction in earlier posts appears to cut to the heart of that point. What could be more Australian than ‘a fair go’?

It’s great that tournaments combine two very basic instincts – hunting and competing, (pity the third of reproduction could not also be included - sorry red herring!;D). The fact is that when it comes down to the final outcome the kill and protein bounty is missing. Outside tournaments the kill and the grill is often the outcome and for many legitimises the reason to fish, it is one of the cornerstones of our foundation. Whilst it’s not a part of tournaments and with good reasons it would be a shame for a tournament strategy to erode any of our cornerstones unnecessarily. It’s on potential issues such as that I’d be urging the greatest of caution; the tail should never wave the dog.

no place for a skeeter up therebut jeez it'd be great until that one sandbar;D:o

BR65
23-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Give the crocs something to think about as you rounded the corner Dick!

moggy1
23-08-2009, 04:47 PM
You tell me when the competitors in the barra nationals started using knotless netts for instance. Yea great comps and have been around for a while but the handling practises up north are still prehistoric. Many style bass boats have fished the daly river comps up there with no problems. My post recieved a typical ausfish reply, nothing but a one sided view. I used barra comps as a example would you bag it if i used bass comps as a example, i think you would. How many photos in magazines do you still see a large barra still hanging by the mouth only for the article to say it was released. Bass is a totaly different species of fish and does not carry the body mass of a barra.
The end for me on e this one.

NAGG
23-08-2009, 05:32 PM
hmmmm , I want to know what a typical Ausfish reply is :-/ A balanced argument is pretty well guaranteed here ..... particularly in the freshies where we have a mixture of of social & competition anglers + Hybrids :)
I know a fair few of the social anglers here would enjoy themselves if they had a crack at the ABT barra tour ( if we could pry them away from their comfort zone ;) )
This year we will see a few new faces on the tour & some will have links with these very pages. 8-)
Dont despair Moggy ....... for everything said is just opinion. I'm sure you'll enjoy the tour along with the other 150 or so anglers that will participate:)

cheers

Chris

NAGG
23-08-2009, 05:58 PM
It’s great that tournaments combine two very basic instincts – hunting and competing, (pity the third of reproduction could not also be included - sorry red herring!;D). The fact is that when it comes down to the final outcome the kill and protein bounty is missing. Outside tournaments the kill and the grill is often the outcome and for many legitimises the reason to fish, it is one of the cornerstones of our foundation. Whilst it’s not a part of tournaments and with good reasons it would be a shame for a tournament strategy to erode any of our cornerstones unnecessarily. It’s on potential issues such as that I’d be urging the greatest of caution; the tail should never wave the dog.

I for one am glad that the killit & fillet mentality is not the cornerstone of our tournament barra fishing ......... I'm even happier to see that ever so slowly the erosion of the concept that you fish for a feed is creeping into our mindset. The future generations will be grateful in knowing that we were not all about filling our creels to justify a day on the water. Bypassing that particular cornerstone has merit :) ( this particularly applies to the wild fisheries).........
Times are changing ....... & even in the artificial environment of a stocked impoundment - we are seeing less of a focus on the need to obtain a source of protein......... Many of those that would be reading this have made that decision.

Chris

TinarooTriumph
23-08-2009, 06:39 PM
You tell me when the competitors in the barra nationals started using knotless netts for instance. Yea great comps and have been around for a while but the handling practises up north are still prehistoric. Many style bass boats have fished the daly river comps up there with no problems. My post recieved a typical ausfish reply, nothing but a one sided view. I used barra comps as a example would you bag it if i used bass comps as a example, i think you would. How many photos in magazines do you still see a large barra still hanging by the mouth only for the article to say it was released. Bass is a totaly different species of fish and does not carry the body mass of a barra.
The end for me on e this one.

Dry your eyes moggy!!!!!!!!

One sided, typical Ausfish view. Forums are made up of different opinions mate, hence why Ausfish always, always cops such a bad whack because there are always so many opinions! Fair go to the members of Ausfish and their opinions - they have just as much say in things as dudes in flimsy fast boats!

I brought up the Bass scenario not because it has anything to do with Barra, but because of ABT an AFC Tournaments. If you can tell me that these Tournaments have total dedication to the absolute health of fish, then your lieing. If this were the case, there would be no such thing as storing fish in a livewell. Although they do their utmost best to preserve the fish's condition, there's still big flaws. Some of the barra handling I've seen on the AFC boats is a little short of perfect too.

Some of the recent posts from blokes that don't even fish these Tournaments have hit the nail right on the head. Dead centre!

crab man
24-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Moggy1 i am a recco simple southern pleasure barra fishermen i love watching it on tv love reading about it in mags etc etc so i sit on the fence , But one thing i dont understand and that i have read so/to many times in this thered is the saying " typical ausfisher response " mate if you dont like the site get off it , this site is for anybody and everybody to find the "good oil" on whats biting where and how , not pollitics and bagging its own members. Im suprised the mods have not nipped it in the butt yet , i better sign out because i dont want to be generlised as a winging "typical ausfish" fishermen today .
although its Funny that all the aus fishos ive met on the water at mondy , awoonga and other places have all been great blokes more then willing to help and have yarn and a coldie by the fire they all seemed ok to me
Cheers Craig

Dick Pasfield
24-08-2009, 03:34 PM
A bit far off topic to steer the thread with a response Chris, perhaps a more appropriate time.

SeekingBarradise
24-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Crabman it was a pleasure meeting you and Stubby Holder at Mondy with Mitchell last year. Thanks for letting everyone know in the M&G section (last year) that you were going to Mondy as Mitch told me to keep an eye out for a crabman fella as he is camped at Mondy as well. Remember the day, it was hot like this and we should have slayed the barra but got none on that hot spring day, i remember us shaking our heads around the campfire saying, " We suck", Mitch agreed and thought it was a 5 fish day.

It's funny but i've actually met some of my best mates on Ausfish so i reckon keep this thread going, it's one of the best of all time.

I even now get on with guys i used to disagree with a lot as i gave them a chance and they did the same for me. I have also met guys that i won't be mates with but that applies for tv shows, boat shows, social fishing and so on. To expect to agree with eveyrone would mean we are surrounded by yes men nodding to everything we say. Things will be a shock if you are in this crowd.

It's no use getting angry as we are just hearing what everyone has thought for a long time e.g. 2 years as much of this is not recent news.

This thread might even be the thread where the net has come of age and overtaken some magazines for info that would never be printed in mags.
I just think it's actually the real talk in the barra scene finally being spoken in public. Can't put a value on that. Can't put a value on all the members on here helping each other out for free to get someone on to their first ever barra.

Congratulations to Ausfish for a scoop in the announcement of the teams for tv.
Sites like Sweetwater and Ausfish have carved their little part out in the industry and look like they are here to stay.

Sections like the Mondy crew chat a lot but also help people a lot.
Guides have raised the thinking and awareness of anglers both tournament and social. Fellas & Gals up north and down south have a link they would normally never get unless they started writing for mags and producing DVD's to get to trade and tackle shows as business types. This internet link actually connects Aussies from all walks of life and we are now hearing the 4 million strong fishing scene and thier full thoughts on all things fishing.

I hope to catchup with a few of the guys and girls at the comps and a few of the crews from the dams social fishing over the summer. This is one of the best debated threads i've seen.

Cheers Lyndon.

crab man
25-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey lyndon yeah mate been trying to forget that day but now you mention it i bloody remember it to well !!! haha. Johny is full of that good oil "you suck " great advice and confirmed what i had already thought! haha , Some days you learn more catching nothing i guess ! i had one bite that day and let the fish wrap me up tight in a 100 trees up in "H" section the day had been that slow the time i reacted she was deep in the woods !! Thanks for helping me drown my sorrows that night haah. Good times
It was good to see you and JM working for the betta of the damn that trip to putting up signs every where helped me learn the bays , haha .
I think its a good thing when somebody like myself a typical southern barra fishermen (only gets up there 2-3 times a year)can meet somebody like JM and sit around a fire and share knowlage like that , He is a good bloke as there was trully nothing to be gained personaly for him by him helping us out it just seemed like he just liked to share his wisdom , Thats why these sites are so good " free knowlage " for all!
Cheers Craig

Tropicaltrout
25-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Nicely said Craig

Long time no see mate hope to catch ya on the dam again soon, wrpped up in H that sounds familar from the time I met ya up there.

birko
25-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok seems like a few on here have some issues with the AFC selection process. Fair enough I say ,but I have one question to raise.

Steve's number is easy to get. Who has rung him to have a personal conversation about their concerns. If the passion about the issue is that high, why wouldnt you make a simple phone call before raising it on here. Then if you dont get a decent responce, its fair game.

If my clients were that upset I would like them to tell me first.

Craig

matt fraser
26-08-2009, 09:24 AM
G'day Craig,

Yes, I have talked to him about this last year, and earlier this year I emailed and spoke to Steve about the ABT Tour.

I haven't spoken to him recently on AFC selection, because there is no point. Its Steve's show he runs it the way he likes.

This thread has been a healthy Ausfish debate, which Steve has been a part of. He's got pretty thick skin - fortunately. I'm sure he listens to constructive criticism and makes his own decisions.

AFC selection has changed this year, due to a change to the teams format. There is also some debate on the extra bream and bass anglers selected. At the end of the day Steve is taking tournament angling forward in the best direction he sees fit.

I just hope that the boating industry and tackle industry continue to support AFC, or there will be no AFC and nothing like this that sporting anglers can aspire to.

cheers,

Matt

birko
26-08-2009, 01:44 PM
G'day Craig,

Yes, I have talked to him about this last year, and earlier this year I emailed and spoke to Steve about the ABT Tour.

I haven't spoken to him recently on AFC selection, because there is no point. Its Steve's show he runs it the way he likes.

This thread has been a healthy Ausfish debate, which Steve has been a part of. He's got pretty thick skin - fortunately. I'm sure he listens to constructive criticism and makes his own decisions.

AFC selection has changed this year, due to a change to the teams format. There is also some debate on the extra bream and bass anglers selected. At the end of the day Steve is taking tournament angling forward in the best direction he sees fit.

I just hope that the boating industry and tackle industry continue to support AFC, or there will be no AFC and nothing like this that sporting anglers can aspire to.

cheers,

Matt

Well said Matt. Great to see you took the issue up directly and I agree with you in hopeing that the AFC is supported. Go get em Matty Coleman (nice fella)
Cheers
Birko

Tropicaltrout
26-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Birko
From what I se here or any forum, fishing covers wide debate wether it be comps or just general fishing and a healthy topic as this one I see it nothing more a camp fire discussion around a computer so to speak...

In saying that with every product is there or will there be any compertion for the AFC???

Please dont take this the wrong way and it is more speculation but a barra only comp on TV run against the AFC 's mixed speicies. I think as a watching point of veiw barra are far more spectacular and would draw better ratings? not to mention if it was run through the year winter included and the series presented once a year I wonder how it would rate compared to the current product...

Anyhow I dont know just seems a bit of way or no way at this present time?

Nath

TinarooTriumph
26-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Throwing a cat amongst the pidgeons...

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=144994

... for those interested, its a good read. Grab a coffee and start typing!

Kindest Regards
Theo

BR65
26-08-2009, 09:31 PM
That was an entertaining thread, I'd forgotten about that one.
I especially liked where Cowboy attemted to wade in

Whitto
27-08-2009, 10:27 AM
That was an entertaining thread, I'd forgotten about that one.
I especially liked where Cowboy attemted to wade in Now that was a good read......."No1 on the Water Baby"...."Smashed Them" Dear Oh Dear::)

The Cowboy
28-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Tinaroo,

Why would you bump that c@#p, certainly have a read but don't bump it. I certainly took one on the shoulder when I realised Basskid was only 16, Pretty sure we both came out of it without any long term injuries.....:-*

Cheers

Chris.

Wish I could pen my thoughts as well as JM and SM.

TinarooTriumph
28-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Chris,

My apologies mate. I am only half the way through reading the thread and everyones different opinions on the thread. The reason I linked the thread is its very relevant to what we're discussing here. Don't mean to open stitched wounds

I was 16 when I joined ausfish... used to cop crap from all directions. Still do. Don't lose any sleep over it. Still swingin' as you can probably tell :D Basskid would take it in his stride like we all do. Age is no barrier in the world of opinion.

Alright... for all new Ausfish/Sweetwater members or some that may have missed a very usefull thread on Barra fishing in its current state, then look this way... this is a read you can't miss...

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,3730.0.html

Cheers
Theo

crab man
29-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Nicely said Craig

Long time no see mate hope to catch ya on the dam again soon, wrpped up in H that sounds familar from the time I met ya up there.

Yeah Thanks nath , i think the term your looking for is "as useless as tits on a bull" haha , I love wrapping around the trees great fun . Lyndon might recall the last time i seen him there my barra buddy geoff all so known as stubbie holder jumped in the dam and un-wrapped a barra off an under water log !!thats hard core !! we dont recomend this that night we sat around talking about all the bad things that could of happened eg old lures drowning you etc etc.
Talking about fishing shows did you all see that piss pore 2 second seg on mondy this arvo ??

SeekingBarradise
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Whether we disagree with the rules, or agree, i would like to say good luck to the fella's in AFC this week, i have shared yarns, emails or texts with a few and they are excited. So if we put the rules aside for a minute, i'd like to mention the anglers.

Personally knowing Matt, Scott, Cy & Kerrin (4/6 AFC Fisho's) i can say these fella's are good blokes who i wish well, i haven't met the other guys but i wish them well too.:) I nearly forgot I've met 5/6 after sharing a yarn with Allan at Faust and a couple of years back when i think he won up there. He has interesting thoughts on fishing.

I just wanted to say that even if people disagree on things we can still wish people well in life. People can disagree on Ausfish but still shake hands (some)and wish people well in their endeavours, life's not always about spin rods at 30 paces.:) But it is good that we don't all agree on everything, if we then use it to learn from.

Steve i hope everything goes well with the production in this hard economic climate. Ausfish members it was great to read some interesting ideas from a lot of different people regarding the fishing. All in all a thought provoking thread.

Cheers Lyndon.:)

Below Scotty is fishing on a bloody windy day & below him are the Taylors getting ready for a comp in their classic yellow tinny.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/SeekingBarradise/ScottintheGreenFrogwhilefishinginBa.jpg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/SeekingBarradise/Doyouthinktheblokesonthisboatdontta.jpg

Lovey80
02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Wow what a great read! While I rarely read the freshwater reports as I mostly fish for a feed (as little time I get) this was a great read. I have to get off my but and make my way to one of these fantastic dams to see what all the fuss is about.

Cheers

Chris

poddy mullet
02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
"PRIVILEGED TO BE AUSTRALIAN, PRIVILEGED TO BE ABLE TO FISH IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY"!

You said it all in your signature Lovey 80 THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poddy mullet
02-10-2009, 07:42 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

poddy mullet
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
"I just wanted to say that even if people disagree on things we can still wish people well in life. People can disagree on Ausfish but still shake hands (some)and wish people well in their endeavours, life's not always about spin rods at 30 paces".

Good on ya seeking barradise- couldn't agree more! This thread has been an amazing observation of differing opinions made up of a group of people who all share one thing in common- THEY ALL LOVE FISHIN! At the end of the day guys THATS IT! Aus fish is a great tool that has helped me learn and grow as a fisherman- and it would be a sad day if any one ever tarred us all with the same same brush just because of one persons opinion!!!

The comment "a hand full of aus fish flavoured mud" was completely unnecessary and quite frankly s$%ts me up the wall!

My suggestion to those narrow minded few ( you know who you are who posted early in this thread) who hung us all here at ausfish just becuse of one persons question is to go and get bent! Your shallow comments that slandered all aus fish users were un called for and you should have a think before you bag one of the best fishing info tools of the modern day!