PDA

View Full Version : Got water pouring in through my stern drive leg!!

ThePinkPanther
15-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Yep, can see it coming in (lots!!) at the very lowest part of the internal fitting of the whole stern drive assembly against the transom and rear end of sump.

Nigh on impossible trying to see anything owing to the location and when viewed from outside the leg, also impossible to see what is going on.

Obviously have to be slipped but wondering if anybody has any idea(s) what could be the cause of this?

In a previous post, also mentioned that my steering cable bracket is very loose and wondering if this could be associated with the leak?

Have been concerned last few weeks at a kind of "groaning" noise the leg makes when turned either port or starboard. Also gets the shakes up whern flushing out .............

Sounds like the whole mounting assembly (whatever that is!) is shot.

Ahhhhh geeeez!

PinHead
15-08-2009, 02:15 PM
bellows gone

ThePinkPanther
15-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks pinhead.

I was thinking along the same lines and after I put up the post, I had a bit of a "feel" around the bellows and I am 90% sure I can feel a split where the join is ................. this seems the weak spot as I have had one go there before.

I'll get more serious and pull it off if I can only get to the brute of a thing.

Thanks.