What are people Thoughts

I have a BF90 Honda Year 2002 aprox 400Hr
Never had a problem and have done all services

Thinking a new Honda 90 that comes with a 5 year warranty
Questions
Thinking of a upgrade

Do I trade in to Honda dealer ?
Do I sell my Honda privatly ?
Do I keep my existing as there is not much to gain ?Love to see some figures from maybe sombody else that as done same

Chris_2184
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Personally I'd keep your existing one, there's not that much more to gain and yours still has plenty of life left in it. My grandad has twin honda 90's on his big platey and they've done over 2000hrs each without missing a beat. Why get rid of something thats done you well and still going strong?? but thats just my two cents worth

ozbee
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
is that carby going to fuel injection. why not if you got the dough you may be surprised what they offer you .

james1
12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I would definately check out the Honda dealer trade-in changeover price. You may be surprised at how much that old Honda will get you on a trade in. Some time ago I traded up from my 98 Honda 90 to a new 150 Honda and it was only the trade in figure that made me do it.

James

stinky-stabi
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
the new 90 is 16000 , so i my self would be stickn with what aint broke so dont trade it....my two bobs worth,, unless you have copius amounts of spare cash...would be roughly 8000 or more change over ???? i reckon

paulp
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
No there isnt a lot of cash lol
Change over figure sounds a bit high but its only going to get worst
That 5 years warranty keeps hitting me in the head
My understanding theres not much in techonolgy advance on my 2002 to current?
Surely they have improved the weight ?

BM
12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
If they have improved the weight it will be evident from the currently advertised weight figures.

16K for a new 90hp Honda 4??? I believe you Stabi but thats insane... Probably get a 2 stroke 90 Yam or Merc for 10K...

6K worth of fuel goes a bloody long way.....

cheers

Dicko
13-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I'll take a stab & say it's worth about 40 to 50% of a new one.

So if a new one is 16k, yours would sell for 7 or 8k.

Assuming a dealer trades it, they'd probably give you 5 or 6k so they get their margin to resell it at 7 or 8 (plus they pay gst out of that).

That would mean you have a changeover of 10 or 11k.

Sure, a fresh 5 yr warranty would be good, but is it worth 10 or 11K ?

The 90 Honda is pretty solid & should be fine for another 5 or 10 yrs with good servicing and the same moderate use it has so far. (commercial ones are in the thousands of hours).

Personally, I'd keep it. If the above values are correct. 5 yrs of ownership so far has cost you 2k per year in depreciation, (16k down to 6k) The next 5 years will cost you bugger-all as it will still be worth 3 or 4k at 10 year old. If you start again, you're back up to 2k per year depreciation. (plus the cost of using 10 or 11k that could be parked on your home loan or something).

The only risk is if it unlikely drops it's guts in a major way in that 5 yrs you could be up for the full 16k replacement, but if you're looking down the barrel of 10 or 11 now, you are really only risking the 5k difference to get another 5 + years.

If you get some trade in figures, please post them up. I'm interested to see if my guesses are in the ballpark.

stinky-stabi
13-08-2009, 02:55 PM
No there isnt a lot of cash lol
Change over figure sounds a bit high but its only going to get worst
That 5 years warranty keeps hitting me in the head
My understanding theres not much in techonolgy advance on my 2002 to current?
Surely they have improved the weight ?

i was talking to the boyz down at caloundra who look after my etec and we were only talking about the new ninety last week and it was 16400 fitted(as they are the honda dealer as well evinrude)....i wasnt making up that figure,may be you might find one cheaper???....i reckon dicko is right on the money with his scenario...
id be thinkn real hard bout it...as you probably are ...lolololololol
good luck m8

Coontakinta
13-08-2009, 03:11 PM
would definately depend on price for me, but otherwise 5 years warranty, lighter, fuel injected donk.
Why the heck not if the change over was worth it.

Skusto
13-08-2009, 03:39 PM
The 90 Honda is pretty solid & should be fine for another 5 or 10 yrs with good servicing and the same moderate use it has so far. (commercial ones are in the thousands of hours).

one of the reasons why commercial engines can do such high hours is because they are used non stop its not the hours that kill engines more to do with age and deteriation(sp?) not saying it would be good for another 5 - 10 years though!

The only reason why we like to keep our engine fairly new is because we go outside, just mainly for piece of mind and usually u can get a good change over price after the warrenty has just expired. if you only fish the bay or creeks then i would suggest it wouldnt really be worth it, but yes in saying that the older it gets the more its goin to cost on change over.

If u are contemplating it, maybe just try advertising it for 9k private and see if anyone will offer u a good private price for it. if no one wants to give u anything for it then i would just keep it and run it into the ground.

16k is alot for a 90 have u thought of changing to suzuki or yamaha u could be 115 zuk for that much!