PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramp essentials. your response.

Lucky_Phill
11-08-2009, 09:34 PM
HI folks.

With some dollars being collected by the State Government through regos etc, I was wondering what you would want or deem essential at a boat ramp.

Even if there is a response put up, put up your items. This info may come in handy....;)

I will start.

1. fresh water tap

2. sufficent parking

3. lighting... / security

4. skip

5. amenities block and not uni-sex.

6. Pontoon. not a down the middle thing, a seperate one off to the side

your thoughts appreciated.

Cheers Phill

Ally Jack
11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
A pontoon would be great, make it a lot easier to launch and retrieve the big boat, and some more parking around the ramp would be good too. The bottom end of the main street here gets real crowded when we have some good weather (hasn't happened lately)

Ally Jack

Roughasguts
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Soft beach to the side for nudging the boat up to, for single handed launching and retreiving. This also makes for a quicker time actually spent on the ramp.

Constant dredging or care of the drop of just where the concrete ramp ends.
Non slip would be good too.

And no bloody speed humps geez stopping hoons is one thing but speed humps at boat ramps and caravan parks is a pain in the Ar$e for trailers scrapping and doing hull damage.

STUIE63
11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
gees I would settle for a bin and a carpark but your list is pretty good Phil
Stuie

STUIE63
11-08-2009, 09:47 PM
one I would add though is they dredge the creek mouth that the ramp is in so the ramp is usable on all tides

Mike Delisser
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
The 3 items at the top of my list would be
1/ security cameras
2/ some more security cameras
3/ a few more security cameras

Apollo
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Fish cleaning facilities.

Jeremy
12-08-2009, 07:11 AM
fresh water tap with fitting and located so as to be able to be used for outboard flushing. Also clear signage of any marine park areas in the vicinity.

Jeremy

finga
12-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Good list so far Phil.
Better carpark designs would be good with hosing facilities that are not on the main drag out.
I reckon the new ramp at Evans is pretty good.
Easy to launch/retrieve etc, reasonably good traffic flow and a pontoon not in the middle of the ramp.
The pontoon makes the world of difference I reckon. With it there's no need for the soft beach bit.
There's current size and bag limit signs up and also signs telling of other restrictions like no go zones for the airforce.
Only bad bit is the bar....ordinary at the best of times.
The ramps at Evans are also good in the fact that there are two within 500m of each other.
We call them the big boat ramp and the little boat ramp.
If the big boat ramp is busy we use the other and vise versa.
The little boat ramp is like any n umber of ramps around here but you can fit 5 cars or so on the ramp...that is unless dirty jetski riders park across it that is.
Pretty good setup down there all in all.
Both have fresh water taps and fish cleaning tables and bigger then normal bins.

But the best bit by far is that most users know what the ramp etiquette is. That makes all the difference in the level of 'annoyances' at the ramp.

Lucky_Phill
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Keep 'em coming.

Good point jeremy, signage is important.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't know if this would work, but a " voluntary log". Similar to what the EPA used to let campers submit their own details for camping permits.

Tick off items like.

species caught

numbers and sizes

numbers of released fish and sizes

approximate area fished

hours on the water

number of people

postcode of your home base

comments

Then pop form into collection box for Ecofishers to collect and pass onto Info_Fish for processing.

Just a thought......

Phill

Chimo
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Phil

Why not a down the middle pontoon?

The one for example at the Sundale Bridge at the Gold Coast seems fine.

If anything I feel they have advantages especially if they are long enough to alow boats to be moved out to the end after launching so the next boat can be dropped in while the first's car and trailer is parked and so on.

Also with the centre pontoon its possible to move / drive boats past boats tied up on the ends if need be.

Thoughts

Cheers
Chimo

Fishbait
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Education signs on ramp etiquette - this will free up ramp time and space, and stop some annoying people doing the wrong thing - hopefully they can take note of the sign and keep everything flowing and moving well, and keeping everyone happy. Darren.

Lapras
12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I think it is the little things that can be easily added to all ramps rather than pontoons etc which are big budget and timeframe and will only happen on a select few ramps.

I agree with Apollo (fish cleaning), Fishbait (etiquette signs) and better secuity be it lights or Mike's cameras. Its great to have a pontoon but even a couple of tie down rings help when you are launching by yourself.

The idiots who designed Dohles Rock ramp put rings only at the top so they are useless at low tide.

Dave

cormorant
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Decent fenders on the pontoons. Decent bollards you can just loop a rope over.

Sinage, ramp ettiquete , fish species and limits, any local marine limits and areas. Phone numbers of local police , fisheries and Nat parks so any vandalism gets reported and fixed and same for poor buggers who are broken into.

Decent ramp surface with a bit of texture.
raised Gutter on side of ramp so you can feel if you are driving off teh edge.
Marker poles at end of ramp or a sign showing ramp length.

Lighting, not shining in your face when coming up to ramp by boat or when backing down.
On end of pontoon and a couple of reflective strips for dark nights or glow in the dark strips.

Rail in part of the pontoon so the oldies have something to hang on to while waiting for teh boat etc. I like the ramps with pontoons down the ramp but a few signs so people know how to use them and to circulate wouldn't hurt and get everyone in and out quicker.

Fence on either side of ramp so you don't have to watch for frigging kids and no hoper rubber necks walking onto ramp. Safer for all of them behing fence. It is a friggen road not a footpath.

As for the ramp taps for flushing I am a bit different as I live near a ramp. There is nothing worse than a 2 stroke at 4.30 am being test started or flushed without a exhaust plug and teh d'heads who insist on revving the rings out of them. Feel like taking my motorX bike and waking up their neighbourhood. Taps should have a timer so people don't idle there for ages and also spend ages washing the whole boat or commercial guys filling up water tanks

thephotoguru
12-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Free Prozac vending machines should be installed at all ramps in Townsville, it gets mighty depressing trying to find a damn parking spot when it is blowing anything less than a cyclone.

On a more serious note.

There has been some good ideas, thown out there.

Lighting and security are way up there on the list.

Fish cleaning and boat wash down and toilet facilities would be a nice touch, pontoons are great too and decent maps of the area you are about to encounter would be nice.

But what I would really like is some where to park my car and trailer.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, less angry impatient ignorant people who for some reason think they are the only ones in the world that matter.

Have fun

Eamon

robersl
12-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I think the best thing they can do is make sure a ramp like clontarf that is busy can be accessed at all tides low tide there you sink to your knees in mud and no water on 1 side and very little on the side where the pontoon is and when you ask them to dredge it the send a back hoe down from the local council who digs a hole at the end of the ramp for 10 foot then you have no water again it needs to be dredged other than that signs for jet ski riders to say no standing on the ramp while they test ride there ski's ect
shane

shane

shane

dfox
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Lighting is top on my list, some ramps are good but others like spinnaker sound have poor lighting. Bad lighting makes launching a pain and makes the thieves feel safe.
Then the rest is obvious , parking, rubbish bins etc..

Stacer 5.0
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
How about some indicators to show either sides of those 'hard to see boat ramps while reversing', im sure it wouldnt break the budget.

Bowser
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Just because Bligh is collecting money why would you even think that she will spend anything on boat ramps?

The government is bank rupt, they will not spend the money on anything other then what they have too and lining the pockets of labour mates!

Custaro
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
My order of preference would be;
1. Lighting

2. Simple CCTV or similar in Car park. This tech is very cheap now. Can be as simple as taking a pic every 10s in high enough res to record identities of thieves.

3. Water. However, I don't agree with washing down at ramps. Fine if you go away from ramp, park and do it with a bucket but definitely not running hoses for everyone else to dodge.

4. Pontoon or beaching area to queue boats tie up etc.

5. Filleting tables only where council have agreement to clean everyday. Otherwise they are a waste.

6. Bins of small size, again only where going to be service regularly . No way to a skip. A bin of larger size attracts grubs. Not maggots etc. but those that like to throw away all sorts of shit without paying dump fees. Same type that probably think the rollers on your trailer would pay for the fuel to get to the free dump.

thylacene
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Having had limited experience, I can only applaud the great setup that is the main ramp at Bermagui. Ramp is three lanes wide, well lit, pontoon is set off to one side with room for three boats if courtesy is used. Parking available for at least twenty five car/trailer combos. Good sized Fish cleaning tables and a council owned trailer for fish waste, queuing lane and a wash down area that is large enough for two boats and has two taps, flush the engine and a quick rinse down before the salt crystalises (handy if you have a 3+ hour tow home to arrive after dark). Toilets (mandatory apparently when fisherwomen are part of the crew). VMR info posted for logging in (and I applaud the effort these guys make as well).

Ramp is situated in the harbour, so even hanging around waiting is not hard work, and is sheltered, even in the shittiest weather. And for those of us that are wooses, the "bar" hardly rates a mention. It even has a "surfcam" http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=4440&state=NSW&t=8:43:03%20PM&camName=Bermagui which is bloody handy when deciding at 4am whether or not to drive 3 & 1/2 hours to go fishing. This isn't a problem for those lucky enough to live on the coast, but a godsend for those of us who are based inland due to work.

It is an extra 45 minutes drive over Batemans Bay, but the facilities and setup make it worth the extra drive, and the fact that you can be fishing within fifteen minutes of pulling up at the ramp (the wench had two flatties on her handline 14 minutes after we pulled up at the ramp, damn!! outfished by the girlie again) .

I think it helps that Bermagui enjoys the transient fishermen, the whole town seems happy to have the masses come and fish (and spend some dough while there).

Cheers

Thy

moater
12-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Security as was mentioned,pontoon walkways.Many of things already mentioned.

What I'd really love to see at popular ramps is IN ramp(s) for those launching and OUT ramp(s) for those retrieving.Maybe take a number even..might help with arguments.Basically a better system to smooth things out.

Already mentioned security but an armed guard with gates and ticketing/password/proof of ownership required..and NO sightseers allowed into this BOATING area.

Darren

harry_h01
13-08-2009, 08:23 AM
1. How about a decent rigging and de rigging area away from the front of the ramp. Can't remember the number of times I have seen someone drive up the ramp and start derigging / tieing down the boat and blocking the ramp to everyone else

2. line markings on the ramp to indicate lanes, so as people don't just drive down the middle

3. frequent cleaning of the ramp to the low tide mark to get rid of the slime and build up. I know there are a lot of videos for funnies home videos showing people slipping over on a ramp

4. frequent cleaning of toilets, and emptying of waste bins. Pinkenbah ramps bins don't get emptied for over 2 weeks sometimes.

5. Emergency Phone - have seen a few times when there are issues or potential to call for an emergency.

Harry

cormorant
13-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Having had limited experience, I can only applaud the great setup that is the main ramp at Bermagui. Ramp is three lanes wide, well lit, pontoon is set off to one side with room for three boats if courtesy is used. Parking available for at least twenty five car/trailer combos. Good sized Fish cleaning tables and a council owned trailer for fish waste, queuing lane and a wash down area that is large enough for two boats and has two taps, flush the engine and a quick rinse down before the salt crystalises (handy if you have a 3+ hour tow home to arrive after dark). Toilets (mandatory apparently when fisherwomen are part of the crew). VMR info posted for logging in (and I applaud the effort these guys make as well).

Cheers

Thy

In regard to salt in motors everyone has to realise that you leave teh ramp in the morning and get to your spot and stop for 1 hr - 3 hr and then start up and come home. So the arguement about needing to flush at ramps is a joke. All it does is slow doen teh whole retrieve and pack away process and leave a ramp as a noisy petrol polluted area that ain't real safe. My thoughts are to get boaters to flush at home so then they will have a bit more courteousy ( due to neighbours they have to live with every day) and use less water and no chemicals at teh ramp. Noise at ramps is dangerous as you can't hear warings , reversing trucks, cars etc and instructions from teh wife!!!!! Plenty of those

Lot of motors now have flush ports and don't require motor running.

Much of the scale in engines is not salt and much will be there if you flush or not as motors drain fast and run quite hot.

Best solution is to make sure you idle around for 3-5 minutes after a run while you anchor etc so the motor comes down to normal temps before turning off so extra deposits don't form as fast if ever.

A lot of scale and salt issues are on motors not tuned or maintained properly or that have stuffed thremostats so they don't run at correct temperatures. Stuff made in the last 5-10 years is mch better especially with teh electronics than earlier ones and most manufacturers have made a effort to makje bigger galleries. Then they do stupid things like small water cooling ports around oil filters or trying to warm, cool inlet manifolds- stupid stupid stupid but that is what happens trying to meet epa or run small sumps

Phil can you consolidate all the ideas and list them in your original post as this will become long and unreadable pretty fast??

finga
13-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Instead of better security, etc, etc, how about better laws and forced implementation of said laws that WILL punish those few doing the wrong thing.
After a few chopping off of thumbs the scum might think twice about helping themselves to MY rollers/trailer/etc.

cormorant
13-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Instead of better security, etc, etc, how about better laws and forced implementation of said laws that WILL punish those few doing the wrong thing.
After a few chopping off of thumbs the scum might think twice about helping themselves to MY rollers/trailer/etc.

Yep - whatever they steal should be stuck up their orrifice sideways and no medical treatment allowed.. We'd be able to spot prior offenders by the way they walk or look on their face and hopefull the bigger items like cars and boats would be off limits or they would only offend once. From a TV show the other day "a gun ensures no repeat offenders around here" "surprisngly "not many first offenders round here either".

Now do we start our own political party or get the policy up?

thelump
13-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Top of my list is cleaning facilities. Not anywhere near enough of them for a place that has the highest boating population in Oz. In fact I reckon I could safely say there are none around Reddy bay, Vic Point cleveland area. Pontoons or beaches are next on the agenda. I will talk only of my area. The three main ramps I use are Vic point. Great pontoon but very open to the elements. Reasonable lighting and no fish cleaning. Redland bay. Great harbour out of the elements but pontoon nowhere near the ramp. So if you are flying solo as is my case then it makes it a bit tricky without a drive on trailer. IMO a ramp down the guts would improve but I know I will cop some flack over this idea. Also no fish cleaning and not enough rigging up/down areas. Raby bay. Same as reddy bay but maybe a pontoon to the non beach side. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lovey80
14-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Fish cleaning is my biggy! I say that only because I havent had anything stolen yet. For me having a pump rigged up to use salt water to clean fish with is my preference for sure. All it requires then is power and your away. Etiquet signs for sure! Green zone and bag signs too. Pontoons in any form are tops!

Cheers

Chris

ShaneC
14-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I generally dont need to use a ramp, but on busy days (they pay to forecast them anyway), whats wrong with having a guy or two to put a few witches hats up, direct traffic at the ramp and keep it moving during peak times???? In a relative sense it doesnt cost much, and the fact that I just got a trailer rego renewel for $157 which I think is ruder than Rodney, theres a lot of money generated by us, even before we pay boat rego.

I'd like to see a so called "parking and launching advisor"..... the shopping centres have them and they pay for it themselves.

Cheers, all IMHO, punch ups have occurred in front of little kids through lack of organisation at ramps.

Shane

grumpy santa
14-08-2009, 08:10 AM
1) You should know by now once you pay money to any government for any reason it's now longer your money but theirs.
2) You should know by now the only way to get a promise from any government to do anything is to ask in an election year.
3) You should know by now it will likely take 2 more elections to get any government to actually dome something constructive.
4) You should also know by now that when they actually do build additional facilities for boaties/fishermen within a year it will require repairs and the whole cycle starts all over again.

There are reasons they call me Grumpy.

Argle
14-08-2009, 09:53 AM
For the Brisbane guys (and girls) Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club at Manly now has three (3) pontoons, one off to either side of the ramp and one down the middle. A small beach area as well as flush and trailer brake rinse facilities. Good lighting and security (24 hour access by electronic swipe card) No fish cleaning tables unfortunately:'( It seems that we will be waiting forever in vain for the Government to spend money for this level of infrastructure that the average Joe couldnt give two hoots about.

Im happy to spend my membership dollars each year to have access to this level of facilty whenever I go out in the bay.

Its also nice to be able to park the car and trailer in the compound on return, go upstairs and get a feed and maybe a coldie before heading home. Not everyone will agree but its an option that is worth considering to add value to your day/night on the water.

Cheers

cormorant
14-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Can someone put up photos of good ramps ( above sounds good- does it work) and set outs so when we see proposals for upgrades we can send in the ideas to the councils etc. save them some design costs and actually show them things that work. They often get little feedback till it is all too late and a ( local )contractor just builds the basic whatever the tender says ( same as he has done for 20 yeras) and we get a average facility with not enough thought.

cormorant
14-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I generally dont need to use a ramp, but on busy days (they pay to forecast them anyway), whats wrong with having a guy or two to put a few witches hats up, direct traffic at the ramp and keep it moving during peak times???? In a relative sense it doesnt cost much, and the fact that I just got a trailer rego renewel for $157 which I think is ruder than Rodney, theres a lot of money generated by us, even before we pay boat rego.

I'd like to see a so called "parking and launching advisor"..... the shopping centres have them and they pay for it themselves.

Cheers, all IMHO, punch ups have occurred in front of little kids through lack of organisation at ramps.

Shane

Be happy to give the local scouts $5 to do that and wander around the carpark as just the presence of them there would deter thieves. Cameras can work but good systems are expensive and privacy laws make it hard and thieves just work around them.

webby
14-08-2009, 06:11 PM
1. You will never get water supplied at ramps anymore
2. Cleaning tables should be a non-event, all you do is attract vermin and sharks around boat ramps.
3. most bay ramps are unsuitable for pontoons, if would cost them a fortune dredging sufficient areas to put the pontoon in. then there's the necessity of lighting, as sure as shit some one will run into it.
4. The most obvious is good lighting in the carpark and over the ramp.
5. The second is security, but alas this will never happen, as the govt would have to employ a regular security patrol, as i doubt you would ever get video survelliance.
Since the Brisbane Port Authority took over Whyte Island, it has turned into one of the best ramps for access to the bay, with regular patrols and 24 hr survelliance, the only problem is the bridge at high tide, and the area surrounding the ramp being shallow with a few hull scratcher below.
6. The biggest problem at most ramps is ediquate , and a lot having no sense of urgency in getting the boat off the trailer, and then car and trailer out of the way, this also applied to retreving.
7. What most ramps need is adequate clean water and sand beaches either side of the ramp, where boat can be rigged and unrigged without obstructing launching and retreving, sadly most ramp accessing the bay dont have this.
8. With all the new green/yellow zones, there should be comprehensive signage showing these areas, fines imposed and what you cannot do and can do in these areas, as i can tell you now there are fishos out there that would have a clue where most green zone are.
9. Signage of the closest Vmr to that ramp and freqs monitor and hours of operation wouldnt go astray.
10. A few warning signs wouldnt go astray, for eg, Reddy Bay ramp, once your run out of concrete it drops into the abyss, the same at comslie, Vicky pt, the shoal straight out from the ramp can catch a few, Whyte island, High tides big rigs lower radio masts and rods unless you want to loose the top off them on the bridge.
11. Bag limits wouldnt go astray either, for those that dont no or care.
Thats a few for starters
regards

Sandman
18-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Dont mind the idea of having a pontoon such like the one at the Comslie, but that still needs to be bigger,however i do agree with what Webby has stated. I think parking is a good idea but the more parks you have the more you will need.
There does need to be more awareness of ramp ediquate, perhaps telling those jet ski's to go rev the motors off the ramp not on the ramp!!

Scott nthQld
18-08-2009, 02:21 PM
all this talk of security and more lighting when I'd settle for more parking, that's all I want, more parking, and maybe 2 big pontoons to replace the single small one we have now.

Thats our biggest problem in Townsville, Parking, once that's sorted we'll be laughing. Though I've had and seen some moments on the ramp, its not such a big issue, most people seem pretty clued up on what has to happen

Mrs Ronnie H
19-08-2009, 09:38 AM
H Phill
Just read through this and there are some pretty good ideas for whats needed.
At our local i would like to see half the boat moorings moved to give you a clear path both to and from the ramp. This was something I mentioned quite a while back but your complaints to the authorities fall on deaf ears.

Getting back to the ramp-- a sandy beach with no rocks so you can pull your boat out of the way. Coming into the ramp it would be a good idea if parents kept their kids out the way so you could pull up on the sand-- Boat ramps are for boats and not a kids playground. Safety is an issue here.

More security is a great idea as our local ramp is not the safest place to leave your boat and trailer. cleaning area and freshwater tap. As someone already mentioned a wash down area for your boat and motor would be good.

Good signage covering practical things and boating and radio etiquette, local call signs for VMR, Rescue.

Pontoon-- no way-- we have enough trouble with people getting in the way with fishing rods off the ramps.
Separate ramp for jetski's or at least priority for boaties using the ramp.

Ronnie

PADDLES
19-08-2009, 12:51 PM
what we need
- plenty of parking
- good lighting
- make sure the coppers drive through regularly
- good fish cleaning station with fresh water
- clean and vandal proofed (is anything) toilets
- additional cleared areas to the sides of the ramp to encourage people to not fish off the ramp
- good sandy beach in front of the additional cleared ares to bump the boat up onto
- good signage showing all local marine park boundaries and reg's plus local rescue organisation numbers/channels

what we don't need
- fresh water taps where people clean their boats (they get abused - the tap that is)
- pontoons, they're more trouble than they are worth with people fishing off them and getting in your way

my biggest gripe with our ramp is people fishing on the ramp itself and the beach???? (you know why the question marks are there ronnie) between and on either side of the ramps. people using the ramp as a recreational area don't always supervise their kids either, i mean we have got a 3t 4wd towing a 2t boat and visibility is krapola when backing, tell me one other recreational area in australia where you would let your kids wander around unsupervised with 5t pieces of machinery moving around.

John L
19-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Another big + for sandy beaches on the sides of boat ramp. These are especially good when boating with the wife and kids as somebody allways has to make a last minute toilet trip and you can simply nose in to the beach out of everyone's way for however long it takes. ::) Also great to nose in to when there is a long line up to get the boat out of the water. We used to send the kids [ now grown up and left home, I miss those days] off for a icecream while we moved down the line.

While I have never had anything pinched extra security would be good.

Has the ramp at Schute Harbour been improved , used to be bloody awful to get on to with a huge line up and little parking?

oldboot
19-08-2009, 10:46 PM
pontoons realy only advantage those with bigger boats and if one is to be strung up the middle of the ramp that usualy means one less ramp lane.

The single biggest improvement you can make to any ramp is some nice sand either side...easy to do and relativy cheap...........a couple of truckloads of sand and a half an hour (ish) with a bobcat or excavator to spread once a year...wot $2000 per ramp per year.

On some of the surf beaches there are surf etiquite signs......should be at every boat ramp.

so should........."keep clear vehicles reversing".... "keep children clear of boat ramp"......."Pedestrian keep clear of boat ramp".....signs.

yes line marking on boat ramps that extends well past the top of the ramp.......for use as a guide when reversing.........................I can see a durability problem with line marking on the ramp its self.......particularly the ones that are preasure cleaned regularly.

Oh and definitely no bike path /pedestrian way across the top of the boat ramp.... nor picnic tables next to the boat ramp.

cheers

Mrs Ronnie H
20-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Guys
Thanks Paddles for agreeing about the kids and fisho's on our ramp. There needs to be some restriction on people fishing within the proximity to the ramp and parents need to supervise their kids. Signs restricting fishing areas around the ramp and perhaps some signage telling parents it is a boat ramp and not a play area/beach for kids.
I agree also about the coppers patrolling but at present we can't even get them to Beachmere to patrol our streets and stop the hoons racing around town at night.

Its good to dream about what we would all like to see but IMO we will be waiting. Don't think our local member would even listen to a local fisho--- she's too busy trying to put a desal plant on bribie.

Ronnie

STUIE63
20-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I think that each and every boat ramp has to be upgraded on it's merits up here we want pontoons as there is more room between us and the crocs where it seems reading that down south that sandy beaches are preferable cleaning tables up here are a complete no-no to me but washdown facilities are nice .
Stuie

timddo
20-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I think washdown facilities is a good idea. But userpay. Etc 2minutes for $2.

I wouldn't mine giving the trailer a quick wash b4 parking it.

Could be a business here

harry_h01
20-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Timddo
I can you might be on a winner here. Get the local scout groups to hook up a trailer with a water tank on the back, a generator, and a gernie. Run it like a car wash but instead as a wash and flush. Offer $1 per litre or even on a timer.

YOu could also offer the motor flush.

Might have to see about setting it up myself, there could be some profit in this.

Harry

QF3 MROCP
20-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Since the Brisbane Port Authority took over Whyte Island, it has turned into one of the best ramps for access to the bay, with regular patrols and 24 hr survelliance, the only problem is the bridge at high tide, and the area surrounding the ramp being shallow with a few hull scratcher below.

9. Signage of the closest Vmr to that ramp and freqs monitor and hours of operation wouldnt go astray.

Two good points Webby;

My only concern is what is the governmnet planning once they sell Brisbane Port Authority - What private company is going to leave all the land (car parks and ramp facilities) for free to the recreational boaty!

Signage is a good idea, especially the radio channels. It would also be good to see some sort of electronic LED signs with realtime weather reports and warnings.

Mrs Ronnie H
21-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Could be a business here

We stayed at a partk up north that offerred boat washing facilities. $1.oo in the slot for ten minutes pressure wash. Thought it was good value.
I agree that a user pays option would be good. May stop people abusing it if they have to pay to use it.

Ronnie

garman1
21-08-2009, 10:29 AM
My brother just visited from Adelaide and was amazed that we didn't have to pay to use the boatramp.................

Qld still sunny one day, perfect the next and still able to use boat ramps for free....yippee !!!!!!!!!!!!

Braddles
16-09-2009, 06:49 PM
As a basic ramp - I would like

1. Well light carpark that has video surveilance and signed as so
2. Ample parking
3. Pre-rigging area
4. Non - slip surface - with the end of the ramp CLEARLY marked
5. Sandy beach either side of the ramp to come in / beach on. If a sandy beach is not reasonable - an area with dumped fine gravel, and freed of large rocks / obsructions.

To make it ideal:

1. A pontoon that is seperate but within 50m of the ramp - where older parents and kids and disabled people could be helped aboard.

2. Toilet facilities

3. Heavy duty U bolts in the concrete, in the car spaces, that we could chain our trailers to.

4. Cleaning tables for the catch

I think Comslie works well..

I just wish there were more ramps closer to the CBD - when they took away the kangaroo point ramp YEARS ago - nothing has ever replaced it :-( Hardly the "river city"

badfisho
22-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Fresh water facilities and restrooms

TheRealAndy
22-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I used this near Joondalup (Ocean Reef) in perth:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=joondalup+boat+ramp&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&start=0&ll=-31.761677,115.728047&spn=0.001583,0.002411&t=h&z=19

One side is for launching, the other side is for retreival. By far one of the best boating facilities I have ever used.

Argle
23-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I used this near Joondalup (Ocean Reef) in perth:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=joondalup+boat+ramp&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&start=0&ll=-31.761677,115.728047&spn=0.001583,0.002411&t=h&z=19

One side is for launching, the other side is for retreival. By far one of the best boating facilities I have ever used.

Thats an awesome looking setup! Bit of a tow to get there but at least there is plenty of parking available!

bigbrian47
10-10-2009, 05:31 AM
1 lighting + sandy/fine gravel area for beaching
2 info signs for ramp etiquette
3 BIG SIGNS & fines for cars in limited trailer spaces
4 toilet facilitys

charleville
10-10-2009, 08:55 AM
what we don't need
- fresh water taps where people clean their boats (they get abused - the tap that is)
- pontoons, they're more trouble than they are worth with people fishing off them and getting in your way

I sure don't agree with those sentiments.

I would love to be able to wash down the trailer/brakes before leaving the boat ramp.

Also, as I am getting older, I am finding that clambering over the front of the boat on to the beach to be a bit of a chore on arthritic knees. Give me pontoons any day!

charleville
10-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Great idea. I would be happy with that arrangement.

Axl
16-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Security is my main concern.

THE FLY
09-11-2009, 06:00 PM
What about signs that say "no trailer no parking". The La Balsa Park ramp always has cars parked there without trailers and cars with trailers parked hundreds of meters up the road. Why can't these people meet the boat owner at their place or park well away.

bushweek
16-11-2009, 03:49 PM
i would have to say, for ease of use:
pontoon, parking and filleting board, and if they are not able to put in a pontoon why not leave the beaches sand instead of putting rocks all over the beach so you have no place to put your boat!!

lunchcutter
24-11-2009, 08:04 AM
hey i agree with all the above i problem i see at times is potoons do people know how to use them right lets say in coming and out going not sure saying that i think ramps need that security knowing that when you venture out over night that your car and tralier are safe with heaps of lighting and the security is good

iqarus
24-11-2009, 01:54 PM
the ramp and facilites at jacobs well is pretty decent.

only thing is security as i have heard numerous stories of cars/trailers/gear in any combination getting nicked. having the bait/tackle shop right next to the ramp is handy.

and they need to get rid of the rocks on the beach next to the ramp, i wouldnt be pushing a glass boat up on there for sure.

ospery888
27-11-2009, 10:38 AM
hi , phil the qld govt should get some advice from wa govt ,they have great ramps with wash down bays,rigging bays and actual lanes for launching and retreving and decent car parks most of the ramps have jetties awsome dont have to get your feet wet mike

STUIE63
27-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I would settle for a spot to park your car and trailer nothing like walking 2km at 1.00 in the morning in pitch darkness while a 14 year old boy holds the boat at a pontoon is not really acceptable
Stuie