PDA

View Full Version : 1st time in cat in rough weather

Flex
09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Theres no real point to this post other than saying I'm totally blown away on how fast cats are in rough weather!

I went up to shoalwater from Yeppoon in my mates 6.2 KC. It was blowing a good 15+knots and a lingering chop from previous nights 20+ knots. If I was in a 6m glass boat I wouldn't have been lucky to do 15-20knots and still woulda banged hard to give you an idea.

The 1st 20mins of the trip I thought I was going to die! Literally..lol.
2+m very sloppy chop ontop of a swell, we were initially doing 25knots and we started to bang a bit as we left the bay, we were getting thrown all over the place. So I thought to myself "Ok we're gunna slow down a bit now and it'll be a slow trip up the coast". Boy was I wrong!, my mate put the hammer down and we proceeded to hopscotch our way along at 35knots spending more time in the air than on water...lol I thought my mate had lost his mind!

I was crappying myself for the first few minutes, thinking we're gunna capsise at any moment, But after getting accostomed to it I was totaly blown away at how fast we did the 130km trip in such rough conditions, we blew past every boat at twice the speed and hardly got wet.
The ride was still very rough with the occasional spine breaker, my mate could have backed off to 28-30knots IMO to make it more comfy, but geez it was amazing.

it opened my eyes and made me think, you really need supremem confidence intially or someone experienced to show you how to drive cats if your new to it. If it was me I wouldn't have had the balls to pump the throttle in such rough conditions and I would have banged along for hours.
I can see how some people would go from mono's to cats and think they are worse off, until they get a nutter to put an extra 15knots on the throttle and make em work how they should.

jigsnreels
09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
G'day Flex,

Not at all doubting anything you've said but it makes me think there must be some big differences in conditions between where you live and where I do.

When I think of 2 metre+ chop, and add swell onto it, I'm thinking conditions like we'd get in 50 knots or more in open water. I just can't imagine anything doing 35 knots in that down here. And there'd be no way a 20 knot wind would produce those conditions in my waters. I'm talking southern Tas by the way.

Prolly get a response from grandmarlin to this.

Sounds like fun anyway.
Cheers,
Jigs

finding_time
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice to see you you like the cat Flex;) How many pairs of undies did you soil?;D Now how do you reckon a Yeppoon chop compares to a NQ chop because apparently cats dont work up there!!!::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P

Ian

Ps. i reckon you hit one bad wave for every four that you would in a mono when your up it in rough conditions!

Angla
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Thats what they do. Did you ask how much fuel that little trip used.

Cheers
Chris

troy
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice to see you you like the cat Flex;) How many pairs of undies did you soil?;D Now how do you reckon a Yeppoon chop compares to a NQ chop because apparently cats dont work up there!!!::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P

Ian

Ps. i reckon you hit one bad wave for every four that you would in a mono when your up it in rough conditions!
Finding_time,
Let it go mate you have been carrying a dead thread for years.
For you to keep constantly bringing it up you have a problem.
You are happy with the way your boat performs in all sort sorts of weather than that is great.
Just realised how many times you have bought this up.
Troy

sid_fishes
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
a nutter?
dean where are you mate. chip in anytime
and i,m still trying to get out with him. bad weather or not
ian

Flex
09-08-2009, 08:31 PM
G'day Flex,

Not at all doubting anything you've said but it makes me think there must be some big differences in conditions between where you live and where I do.

When I think of 2 metre+ chop, and add swell onto it, I'm thinking conditions like we'd get in 50 knots or more in open water. I just can't imagine anything doing 35 knots in that down here. And there'd be no way a 20 knot wind would produce those conditions in my waters. I'm talking southern Tas by the way.

Prolly get a response from grandmarlin to this.

Sounds like fun anyway.
Cheers,
Jigs

Never been down that way so I cannot compare. But up around Shoalwater theres 6+m tides and water depth of about 80-130feet most of the way up the shore.
It wasn't 2m chop the whole way,ranged from 1 up to 2m in various parts depending on where we were.And the previous 3 days had 25knot winds. Islands and contour lines dramitcally changed conditions, we'd go 15kms and have large rolling swells with minimal chop, then go through a swirling current line and have massive steep chop for the next few Km's. patches around converging currents it was easily 2m+. But the whole way my crazy mate never backed off the throttle.
We were running with the swell/chop so we definitely were going faster than against. my mate commented that if we had of been going into it, it would have been alot nastier and rather wet and deffinately slower.

But that said, it was mind boggling how fast we went. By no means was the trip pleasant, The boat was working damn hard, water up to gunnel's coming down some waves, air borne off others, alot of pounding aswell. Yes cats do pound so I found out!.Plus me hanging on like my life depending on it.lol plus I felt my mate drove the boat especially hard, it is a centre console KC so no cabin or glass to worry about breaking/shuddering etc and a tad lighter than your traditional KC

But we did the 120kms in a little over 2 hours.

As to fuel, he's fueling it up tommorrow so we'll know the exact amount and I'll get back to you.
He runs a pair of 140hp Suzuki 4 strokes on it.

As to cats in FNQ conditions? well I fished all over cape york, as far out as 60km and I can say with my limited experience in larger boats, I doubt cats would have any issue what so ever in these conditions. FNQ you get a nasty short chop with minimal swell, I rekon the way my mates cat would It'd eat it up without even flinching. Across Keppel bay(which is exactly the same as NQ chop) he could almost go flat chat and simply skipped across the chort stuff like it wasn't there.

I rekon the reason no uses cats up north is there is no real need for em due to the safety of semi protected waters inside the reef.

sea-rash
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Finding_time,
Let it go mate you have been carrying a dead thread for years.
For you to keep constantly bringing it up you have a problem.
You are happy with the way your boat performs in all sort sorts of weather than that is great.
Just realised how many times you have bought this up.
Troy

And yet you still wish to defend the indefensible.:'( The passing of time does not make yor comments any less stupid. :( Good to see you maintaining ths status quo!

Rash

Teabag73
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Let's not destroy a thread with toilet contests.......Flex, great bit of info that may assist them in their possible purchase......Good to see people provide valued feedback.....cheers......

perko
10-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Was the boat the old model 6.2 or a offshore 2400?

Lbudgie
10-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Everybody loves it wet and a bit rough in a pussy cat;) ;D

Flex
10-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Was the boat the old model 6.2 or a offshore 2400?

It's the Old 6.2 Model

Dean1
10-08-2009, 04:38 PM
a nutter?
dean where are you mate. chip in anytime
and i,m still trying to get out with him. bad weather or not
ian A nutter is one of the names my mates call me Ian ;D Cats bring out the mongrel in ya!

And theres still all the nonbelievers that bag cats well all I think now is they dont know what their missing out on.. Let them do it tough in a mono..

Flex youv just experienced the amazing benefits of a cat they certainly spoil you and make your trip just that bit more enjoyable ;D

Ian you have to harrass me more mate, your'e still on the list and your'e more than welcome.

You just never seem to back off in a cat but put the throttles to the dash unless things are really ugly. Cheers...

Flex
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
It's a shame KC doesn't do centre consoles. I rekon the 5.2 in a CC would be just about the perfect fishing boat. But Aside my mates 6.2 CC KC, I've never seen another in either 6.2 or 5.2.

Dean, can I ask what your 5.2 weighs on the trailer with all your usual gear? and whats it like to tow? alot of windage?

Tangles
10-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Yep, I guess religion takes many guises;D

Dean1
10-08-2009, 07:46 PM
It's a shame KC doesn't do centre consoles. I rekon the 5.2 in a CC would be just about the perfect fishing boat. But Aside my mates 6.2 CC KC, I've never seen another in either 6.2 or 5.2.

Dean, can I ask what your 5.2 weighs on the trailer with all your usual gear? and whats it like to tow? alot of windage? Theres a guy on here that has a centre console 5.2KC. He did the conversion himself.

My rig is about 2 tonne loaded mate, the ally trailer brings the weight down. It is great to tow but on the highway up around 90klms+ you can really feel the wind resistance, so long trips get a bit tiresome but I tow it with a Turbo Diesel Rodeo and obviously a bigger vehicle would be better. Ian 'Finding Time' is able to fold his cabin down which would help immensely and worth looking into if you were consistently travelling long trips, but not a major by any means.

Deano..

rat_catcher
11-08-2009, 03:23 AM
But up around Shoalwater theres 6+m tides and water depth of about 80-130feet most of the way up the shore.
It wasn't 2m chop the whole way,ranged from 1 up to 2m in various parts depending on where we were.And the previous 3 days had 25knot winds. Islands and contour lines dramitcally changed conditions, we'd go 15kms and have large rolling swells with minimal chop, then go through a swirling current line and have massive steep chop for the next few Km's. patches around converging currents it was easily 2m+.
The conditions in Keppel Bay and further north up to and around Shoalwater and Stanage produce arguably some of the nastiest short sharp conditions that can be found anywhere.

The bay is shallow and wide open so the waves tend to stand up and are spaced very closely together.

After a few days of 15-20's, even after the wind dies back to 10-15's the place is still like a washing machine and gets very sloppy.

I have a Signature 702L with a Suzuki DF250 and am looking into converting over to a cat for this very reason. My mate has a 2400KC with 2 x 140hp Suzukis and he basically sits on 35knots everywhere he goes, whereas I am back down to 20-22knots in these conditions.

fly_1
11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Kevlacat did make a few 6.2m centre consoles way way back in the early days. They didnt make the 5.2m in the c/console, although when they took the moulds to the states they did one over there. One of the boys on the sunny coast imported a 5.2m c/console and he loves it. Would be a great little boat.......

Noelm
11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
hhmm wonder what happened to the 6.2 CC's that were made, they must be alive somewhere you would think. I think they made the 6.2 and bigger in CC over in the US.

fly_1
11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
One is still floating around the sunny coast, not sure on the other 2. From memory only 3 were made. Two for pro fisherman, and the other was bought by a well known member of the SCGFC who ran it for many yrs, but sold it around 3 yrs ago.

Noelm
11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
hhmm intresting!

Flex
11-08-2009, 05:53 PM
hhmm wonder what happened to the 6.2 CC's that were made, they must be alive somewhere you would think. I think they made the 6.2 and bigger in CC over in the US.

Like I mentioned earlier, my mate owns one and is the very boat we went to shoalwater in.:)

But I rekon for the perfect allround fishing boat the 5.2 in a CC would be damn near unbeatable.
Large enough for offshore,small enough for estuaries,cheap to run and easy to tow.

Doesn't seem to be very many centre console cats around? but the CC configuration seems to utilise the cats internal space better than any other setup.

Chris_2184
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Flex were you the guys fuelling up at Mobil servo in Rockhampton monday morning? your vehicle a 3litre turbo diesel ute? if so....damn nice boat!!! was checkin it out while filling up the my cruiser;D

finding_time
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
The 5.2 has the almost the same deck space as a 6.2, so in that respect there good, you dont loose much deck to the cab! Having fished the Gold Coast Light Tackle Master a few years ago in a solid 15- 20 knots for 3 days straight without clears i know the reason not to many CC's were made!!!;) My eyes were swollen for 3 days afterwards!:-[ There wet in the rough and good clears are a god send! The boat has twins you dont need to leave the back deck ever, just spin the boat!

Ian

Flex
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Flex were you the guys fuelling up at Mobil servo in Rockhampton monday morning? your vehicle a 3litre turbo diesel ute? if so....damn nice boat!!! was checkin it out while filling up the my cruiser;D

Yeah thats the one. not my boat or Vehicle though(wish it was:))

Flex
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
The 5.2 has the almost the same deck space as a 6.2, so in that respect there good, you dont loose much deck to the cab! Having fished the Gold Coast Light Tackle Master a few years ago in a solid 15- 20 knots for 3 days straight without clears i know the reason not to many CC's were made!!!;) My eyes were swollen for 3 days afterwards!:-[ There wet in the rough and good clears are a god send! The boat has twins you dont need to leave the back deck ever, just spin the boat!

Ian

You lose all that fishing room up front, Im my mates CC we had 4 blokes fishing all round the boat,The centre console Cat has that wonderful square bow, its like having 2 cockpits in the one boat.
less tangles, all able to cast poppers.Jig ect without getting in each others way.

And I can honestly say we hardly got wet at all driving it in the rough stuff, yeah the occasional bit of spray, but not full face of water like a mono CC... my face was sore for 2 days after from wind Burn!..lol

Also CC is great for creeping into new estuaries, creeks etc. but its horses for courses obviously. Almost need 2 boats at once, A CC to fish outa all day, then hop into your halfcab for trips home/overnighters.

Mister
11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
hhmm intresting!

Interesting hhmm yes can see where you might be coming from ::) Just when you thought you had seen and heard it all along comes this gem :P

rat_catcher
12-08-2009, 05:33 AM
I think they made the 6.2 and bigger in CC over in the US.
They definitely 'love' their centre consoles over here, but on the other hand they 'hate' Kevlacats! Apparently the US versions were built very badly and have not held up well to age. I have no actual experience of this, it is just what I have heard on 'The Hull Truth' and from looking at pics of them for sale second hand here.

Outer Edge
12-08-2009, 10:20 PM
It's the Old 6.2 Model

Hi All, just thought i would give my two cents for what its worth but could nt help notice this thread. My two cents is i have passed a older 6.2kc in rough weather but the thing we need to understand is no your boat and what it is and is`nt capable of!! Perhaps others may understand more then others and know when and where to push your package.:-/ All in all happy fishing.

Outer edge

mlaagtho
13-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a US built Kevlacat 2400 built in 1999 and really enjoy the boat no cracks etc,and I have been in some really rough seas
The only problem I had was the boat had water in the sealed compartements. I have seen taken care of the water problem. I believe all went wrong with US Kevlacat in about 2003
I know that in the rough there is very few mono that can stay we me

Noelm
13-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't think the US built boats had major structural problems, it was more poor quality control and back up from the manufacturer, that is what I have learned from a lot of US sites. water in the sealed sections was one of the "bugs" it supposedly comes about from poor deck sealing, and once the water gets in, you cannot get it out without some surgery!

Mister
13-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I have a US built Kevlacat 2400 built in 1999 and really enjoy the boat no cracks etc,and I have been in some really rough seas
The only problem I had was the boat had water in the sealed compartements. I have seen taken care of the water problem. I believe all went wrong with US Kevlacat in about 2003
I know that in the rough there is very few mono that can stay we me

Got some bad news for you matey? How can you have a 2400 US kevlacat when there was never ever any 2400 moulds ever sent to the US?

The 2000 and the 2800 were the only kevlacat moulds that went to the US and actually the 2400 had not even been designed at that point.

Mister
13-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi All, just thought i would give my two cents for what its worth but could nt help notice this thread. My two cents is i have passed a older 6.2kc in rough weather but the thing we need to understand is no your boat and what it is and is`nt capable of!! Perhaps others may understand more then others and know when and where to push your package.:-/ All in all happy fishing.

Outer edge

Noelm summed this one up fairly well with a "hhmm intresting!" and other can probaly translate those words into english better than I ;D

mlaagtho
14-08-2009, 09:08 AM
The boat I have is definetly a 2000 Kevlacat 2400 Offshore and looks identical to the model made now so some how they got it right

mlaagtho
14-08-2009, 02:36 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/mlaag/IMG_5236.jpg
Here is a pic of the boat

Maccas
15-08-2009, 01:10 AM
I looked at importing a US made 2001 Kevlacat 2400 about 15 months ago. I had negotiated the price subject to inspection by a marine surveyor until he advised me that most Kevlacat made in the US after 2000 had problems with hull cracking and water leaks so I didn't go through with it. As yours is a 2000 model it should be OK

Cheers,

Maccas