PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Helmet vs Klampit experience

Mindi
07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Did the research on here, toss up between products..bought Klampit and found it wont go on my standard Redco 2 yr old trailer as mudguards too close to tyres for Klampit to fit...must be common problem..?? took it back and got a Hitch Helmet from GC Trailer Supplies/ Oceanic who sell them...same price but excellent. Put on once at home take off at home.....leave fitted to trailer....fine to tow and reverse with... one "on" and one "off" compared double work for Klampit so happy with where I ended up. Much easier to use too...but think the supplied padlock looks a bit dodgy and could be well replaced with a better one. Hitch Helmet is pretty good....didnt anticipate how much easier to use than a wheel clamp.

Mr__Bean
07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
But does it protect you from them just crossing the safety chains and connecting them to their towbar?

Some trailers are stolen without using the hitch, just cross the chains to form the cradle and hook up the chains up very close.

Not ideal on the tow vehicle but no issue under a ute etc.

Trailer tows the same.

Not saying the Klampit is perfect either, I nearly drove off mine in a caravan park by mistake. If I had kept going it would have stuffed my mudguard but I think the Klampit would have been forced off. I always put it on super tight after that and I cut some "saw tooth" edges on the bits that rub on the tyre so that it digs into the tyre better now.

- Darren

FNQCairns
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a clamp it, one of the copies probably this one is red but well made-ish , I also take all but one of the wheel nuts off the rim under the clampit, if I am going to be away for a while I do the same to the other side.

I also keep a medium quality padlock through the hitch, even when on the road, the law can go get stuffed here.

I have owned one of those hitch cops or whatever they are called, look a bit like a tow ball and expand when inserted, IMO they are rubbish dont waste the money.

cheers fnq

levinge
08-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Klamp-it copy and Trailer Cop for me when at home. Same when away and like FNQ, a Lock when towing....

Trailer cop works fine, got to remember, these are on preventative measures, if the bastards really want your boat, they'll take it.

Removing wheel nuts won't help me, tandem trailer. I'd have to do some pretty serious sabotage to my trailer to stop a theft..

Mindi
08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
But does it protect you from them just crossing the safety chains and connecting them to their towbar?

Some trailers are stolen without using the hitch, just cross the chains to form the cradle and hook up the chains up very close.

Not ideal on the tow vehicle but no issue under a ute etc.

Trailer tows the same.

Not saying the Klampit is perfect either, I nearly drove off mine in a caravan park by mistake. If I had kept going it would have stuffed my mudguard but I think the Klampit would have been forced off. I always put it on super tight after that and I cut some "saw tooth" edges on the bits that rub on the tyre so that it digs into the tyre better now.

- Darren

Darren..not sure I understand your question..it completely covers the whole ball joint and coupling when connected....undoing the safety chains wouldnt help at all. The only thing you could do would be to oxy off the drawbar or to unbolt the drawbar hitch assy from either the tow vehicle or the trailer side..? Maybe I dont understand your point...but want to.

billfisher
08-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Darren..not sure I understand your question..it completely covers the whole ball joint and coupling when connected....undoing the safety chains wouldnt help at all. The only thing you could do would be to oxy off the drawbar or to unbolt the drawbar hitch assy from either the tow vehicle or the trailer side..? Maybe I dont understand your point...but want to.

I think he means that they don't use the coupling at all - they tow it with the chains.

I think it is best to use both - ie a coupling lock and a wheel clamp as well. There is nothing wrong with the cheap $30 coupling locks either as the padlock is quite well protected.

stevej
08-08-2009, 03:36 PM
many towbars can be removed from cars just 4 bolts holding them on. preety simple to undo and take the whole lot as very little weight in a unladen trailer

wheel clamp is very visual deterrent and they can take it anywhere without making a ruckus trying to get it off and destroying what they want to get in the process

i know its a pain but i can get my wheel clamp on in under 60 sec and the amount of boat trailers going missing in Sydney off late you would be silly not to spend the time putting on e on

Mindi
08-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I think he means that they don't use the coupling at all - they tow it with the chains.

I think it is best to use both - ie a coupling lock and a wheel clamp as well. There is nothing wrong with the cheap $30 coupling locks either as the padlock is quite well protected.

Aha see what you mean.... not defending Hitch Helmet but you cant get at the balljoint nut to undo it...? so your only option is to remove the four bolts holding the override brake hitch block to the trailer and tow it on the chains...or unbolt the tow bar tongue from the car........so in that respect agree the wheel brace better. That is why I first bought the Klampit....now I still feel reasonably safe in hoping they decide it's too hard.... actaully a spot of weld on some bolt ends car and trailer would close the loop wouldnt it..!...if I was in a hot area thats what I would do.... I live in the middle of 90 yr olds on Sunny Coast so reckon I can live with the risk...maybe..?

billfisher
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Aha see what you mean.... not defending Hitch Helmet but you cant get at the balljoint nut to undo it...? so your only option is to remove the four bolts holding the override brake hitch block to the trailer and tow it on the chains...or unbolt the tow bar tongue from the car........so in that respect agree the wheel brace better. That is why I first bought the Klampit....now I still feel reasonably safe in hoping they decide it's too hard.... actaully a spot of weld on some bolt ends car and trailer would close the loop wouldnt it..!...if I was in a hot area thats what I would do.... I live in the middle of 90 yr olds on Sunny Coast so reckon I can live with the risk...maybe..?

A lot of boats are stolen at home. If the boat is not hooked up to the car then they don't need to undo any bolts if they chain tow it. Also it is not hard for them to haul it off if they have a tow truck.

PinHead
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I have no need for security device when the boat is "at home".
I have never used anything on the trailer when at a ramp...perhaps I should but any of these items can be quite readily removed with a few tools.

Mindi
08-08-2009, 08:55 PM
A lot of boats are stolen at home. If the boat is not hooked up to the car then they don't need to undo any bolts if they chain tow it. Also it is not hard for them to haul it off if they have a tow truck.

Yep thats for sure... the static Hitch Helmet stops attachment to another car but wouldnt stop towing the chains...dead right...these are the reasons I think I started out trying to use the Klampit.

DR
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
if you don't use it every week, as well as a hitch helmet, stick the trailer on a jack stand & remove one of the wheels. Only takes 5 mins extra preparation when getting the boat ready..