PDA

View Full Version : Deckhands tickets

mattooty
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I've recently been offered 2 jobs working on charter boats as a deckhand, however both have the requirement of having my deckhands tickets. I'm in NSW and am unsure what to look for or where to do these. I'm lead to believe it's ran through TAFE. There are a number of different coxswains tickets on the TAFE website, is this the right track?
Also, are these tickets able to be used in both NSW and Qld? If not, is there an option for RPL if I was to attempt them in QLD at a later date? Also is it possible to get my on-water hours in QLD if I was getting it through NSW?

Noelm
06-08-2009, 12:36 PM
the Deckhands course is part of the Coxswains, I think it's proper name is something like "Elements of shipboard safety" or something like that, easy stuff to do, if you are doing your Coxswains, then there is a bunch of people all start at the same time, and the deckhands do the first few weeks only, the Coxswains go on, it is done at a few TAFE's, I know it is at Shellharbour every year for sure, just give the closest one a call.

Noelm
06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
OH, I forgot the second part, to obtain your hours, you need to get a ROPES book from the Maritime (ROPES stands for record of???) costs a few bucks and when you are on any boat (but better to be a commercial) you fill it in and get the skipper to sign it for you, once again, easy stuff, if you have your deckhand, then the hours will come as you work.

slyman
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
You'll also need a Senior First Aid Certificate, but this would probably be incorporated into any course.

Noelm
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
yes, it is.

mattooty
06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I've already got a senior first aid through the Rural Fire Service, so would that mean I'd have to do it again or RPL?

Noelm
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
no, you get exemptions for things you already have, you have probably done fire safety too then? that is also one part of the course, so you will be able to miss a couple of sections, or you could just do them anyway, just for kicks.

mattooty
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
No, only my first aid and basic Fire fighting. Nothing special. Not having a huge amount of success searching online so I'm going to go into the local TAFE and have a chinwag. Hopefully they'll be able to point me in the right direction.
What is the next highegr education to my basic coxswains? (I imagine that's what it's referred to as.)

Noelm
06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Coxswains will allow up to 12M boat a certain distance from shore, from there you start to go into different "master" classes and overnight and all sorts of things, then there is MED which is a Marine Engineer, and is required on certain Boats, most/all of the longline boats will have a MED3 but he will be part of the crew usually, all these things are fairly easy for the average person to get, the killer is the sea hours that need to be documented, the Coxswains is a theory/practical sort of thing at TAFE, over a year I think, and once you have the hours, you do an Oral test at the Maritime and hey presto, you are a Coxswain, the Oral part is tricky, there is lots of lights and funny stuff that is confusing to remember "on the spot"

mattooty
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Ah, thanks for that. So there isn't just a short course on say, Marine Safety or something that would allow me to deckhand?

Noelm
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
yes, as I said, the deckhands course is just the first part of the Coxswains, only takes a few weeks, not sure exactly how many, it does not require documented sea hours, do yourself a favour and at least do it, that way you will be able to get a job legaly on almost any charter boat (or pro boat) and start to document your hours as you go.

mattooty
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Yep, I've gotcha. Thanks for all this. It's been bugging me lately as to where to look for information, and it's been sitting under my nose all this time.

lee8sec
06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=17446

samson
06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
there is a training centre at peirmont in sydney behind the fish markets at the marina if you want to fast track your course they offer a two day deckhands course and a coxswain can be fast tracked in three days it has small numbers of students say 3 or 4 and the knowledge is learned quickly one on one with your teacher it costs a little more but doesn't involve weeks of classes.

If you need details let me know i'll get them.

TJ Bear
06-08-2009, 07:10 PM
You can reduce your sea time hours by half in QLD if you do yoour sea time with the VMR or you could in the past, not 100 percent sure now.

ShaneC
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
TJ's right and I think it still stands....

In Qld I believe the deckies ticket is OH&S at sea. It a couple of day course

Cheers ,

Shane

DALEPRICE
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I was under the impression that the deckhands licence had
been waved a while ago. As far as i am aware only the skipper needs to
hold senior first aid as it is required for his licence.

check it out a bit more and let us no.
cheers dale

Noelm
07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
deckhands still current for NSW to work on a commercial Boat.

DALEPRICE
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
sorry, was thinking qld rules

Lucky_Phill
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
queensland rules ? Dale ? Of course it does.....

QUEENSLAND RULZ....... !!!!!

Yep.

Senior First Aid

Health and Safety at Sea

Hours on water

good luck with it all Matt.

Phill

rat_catcher
08-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Lots of good information on the Wide Bay TAFE website;

http://www.widebay.tafe.qld.gov.au/courses/maritime_training.html

This is the one you want;

Certificate I in Transport and Distribution (Maritime Operations) - Deckhand

mattooty
08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for it all guys. Monday morning will be a busy day for me.
Trying to persuade the Fire Brigade to pay for my MR truck licence, calling tafe's all over the country, interview for a new job as operations at a fish co-op and finding out whether I'm going on a game-boat transfer chasing blue marlin and YF.
WOO. Excited for all of the above? You betcha!

rat_catcher
09-08-2009, 06:17 AM
......game-boat transfer chasing blue marlin and YF.
This one would be my vote!!! ;D

seren-y-mor
09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
nolem is on the right track but its a record of service book that you need to record your hours in ( ROS book) it costs 5 bucks from maritime saftey and bring a passport photo and some id.you can always statdeck your sea time if it was done elsewhere. a ropes book can be used if you havnt got enough days as there are tasks in the ropes book that you do and then get signed off by your skipper to prove that you can do the things that you say you can(national record of practical experiance and sea service).
But for your ESS eliments of shipboard saftey you wont need a ros book or a ropes book, go through tafe or austalian boating collage, as its only the saftey side of things that you are doing like firefighting, OH+S, laftrafts and first aid, your first aid needs to be refreashed every year and your senior first aid every 3 years.

If your going to do your coxswains or a master class 5 or med3 you now need to do a task book its like the old ropes book, and it takes a while do do so the sooner you start it the better. you will also need a medical then after your course you go to maritime saftey for a oral exam.
with a coxswains you get 12 metre to 15nm and 250 kw per engine.
with a 5 you get 24metres to 200nm but no engeneering ticket so you need somone on board with one or get an med (marine engine driver)
med 3 you get 500 kw of engine power, med2 is 750kw and so on.

hope this helps
Jason

Noelm
09-08-2009, 10:43 AM
that sounds about right, it has been a while since I did my Coxswains and was only going from hazy memory, I am sure lots of TAFE's around the place will do it.

TheRealAndy
09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
You can reduce your sea time hours by half in QLD if you do yoour sea time with the VMR or you could in the past, not 100 percent sure now.

VMR used to be a restricted coxswains. I think they are in the process of changing this to a commercial coxswains. This may already be doing commercial coxswains, not sure.

Might pay to check with the local VMR/Coastguard/whatever they are in NSW now to see if your local place does shipboard saftey (or whatever the course is, cant remember the exact name). Even better, volunteer for you local coast guard or VMR and you get seatime and your shipboard saftey free of charge!