PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lock improvement.

Jarrah Jack
05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
After reading some threads on stolen trailers / boats it would seem that the common trailer lock is pretty useless. They can be chiseled off and the bolts holding the whole hitch on can be undone. The bolts are not allowed to be welded it seems.

As I was locking my trailer on yesterday it came to me that the bolt issue could be overcome by welding a sleeve over the frame covering the bolts thus making them impossible to undo without first cutting away the sleeve with an angle grinder There would be no welds on the frame itself.

Secondly I'm going to get a fabricator to make a much stronger lock with at least double the steel thickness then get it galed for looks. With any luck the thieves at the local ramp will move on to another trailer.

billfisher
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
The hitch locks are simple, cheap and quite effective. If you want more security then I suggest combine the hitch lock with another method such as a wheel clamp.

Jarrah Jack
05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
If you have a look in the "stolen board ' you will find that the standard lock is useless or, as they say, will only deter honest thieves.

culbara
05-08-2009, 06:53 PM
If you want to make it difficult go to a locksmith and yo can buy gold chain it is about 90dollars a metre and if yo have a tandenm tralier you put it through one wheel over the chassis and back out through other wheel and get a good lock that has thelock area shrouded and the gold chain is so hard you have to use a grinder to get through it as it will fold the jawas of bolt cutters

Luc
05-08-2009, 07:09 PM
So, why can't the bolts be welded?

Is there a safety reason??

Luc

Skusto
05-08-2009, 07:25 PM
if someone really wantes your trailer im sure they would find a way.. have heard of someone loosing there whole tray off there ute because they couldnt get into the tool boxes it seams..

peterbo3
05-08-2009, 07:43 PM
The battery operated grinder will cut through nearly anything. Unfortunately.

PinHead
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
have battery grinder and bolt cutters in my ute all the time...LOL

thylacene
05-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Locks only stop honest thieves!

Invest in some good insurance or put a tracking device on it and tool up to deal with the culprit yourself. A mate of mine had his bike stolen here awhile back, and received a phone call from another who had just seen the bike being ridden along a road. The owner of the bike was travelling on a close by road in his largeísh 4wd nad made his way onto the road, caught up with thief on the bike, and then just gave him a quick shunt, called the cops and reported the accident. The cops were very sympathetic and chose not to lay charges. Gotta be a win for the good guys.

tunaticer
05-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Starting to see guys run lengths of chain through the trailer A frame and back around or thtouhg the chassis of the vehicle as a deterrent.

There are some good quality pad locks and shaft locks around now that would beat the battery power of a grinder, but you will pay for the privelige to own them.

Jarrah Jack
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
[quote=Luc;1055121]So, why can't the bolts be welded?

Is there a safety reason??

Luc[/quo

Its got to do with the fact that you are not allowed to weld couplings any more although I can't see why a bit of weld would hurt. But we all know insurance companies.

Travesso
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
With not being able to weld them, my guess would be the concern over either eventual cracking or softening of the steel due to heat during welding? Not saying I agree with this but thats my guess at the reason behind it... ::)

Luc
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
With not being able to weld them, my guess would be the concern over either eventual cracking or softening of the steel due to heat during welding? Not saying I agree with this but thats my guess at the reason behind it... ::)

If that's the reason, then why allow any welding on the trailers::)

Luc

stevelcqld
06-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I like the idea of a length of 100ft of steel cable secured to a VERY solid object and the a VERY strong part of the trailer...

After they hitch it up.. and start to drive off then wallop as the car stops.. Police called and then a few more wallops from me and my baseball bat...

"I am amazed he was even able to drive, let alone steel a boat with a broken jaw and 2 broken hands.... officer"

We all wish !!!

Steve

tunaticer
06-08-2009, 05:45 PM
If you are worried about theives undoing your trailer hitches from your trailer then drill a 3mm hole through the top half of the nut and bolt and hammer in a roll pin, they will never undo those nuts without a 3mm pin punch and who carries those and a hammer around?

Crocodile
07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I think that the reason for not welding onto couplings is that they are cast and the weld weakens the casting and makes it brittle..
Mild steel, as in the trailer, doesn't suffer as much from welding.

To prevent theft, wait a few years till it goes a bit rusty and then park next to a shiny new trailer.!!

Jarrah Jack
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Good idea croc but don't wait. The spray on rust look would work wonders.

Luc
07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Not so much welding the coupling as welding the nut/bolt.

Mind you don't forget the bolts of the towbar tongue and those holding the towbar to the vehicle.

Luc