PDA

View Full Version : Do sea planes need to be registered as boats as well?

finga
05-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Well. Do they??
Cheers then
Scott :)

Roughasguts
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
From Memory yes!! once in the water the plane is a boat.
The lake Buckaneer I use to fly up the Murray river and out in to Outer harbour! needed you to be licenced to drive a boat and also properly endorsed on the Aircraft that takes around 10 hours water and Air time.

They make great boats those sea planes but crap Aircraft.

However I can't remember seeing a Boat rego sticker and there certainly wasn't boat rego markings on the side of the plane, Maybe they used the VH-BDK that was already on the fin.

But she did have Oars, an anchor, PFD's, a bilge pump, smelt like a boat and had rust on the undercarriage.

Cheers

boatboy50
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Finga,

I don't believe they need vessel registration, however the operators these days are required to have a commercial coxswain's ticket, just the same as every other commercial charter boat on the water.

Regards

Darren

Dave_H
05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey Finga,

I don't believe they need vessel registration, however the operators these days are required to have a commercial coxswain's ticket, just the same as every other commercial charter boat on the water.

Regards

Darren

Hi Darren,

The rego question is dependant upon the state or territory the aircraft is operated in, however you may find that there would be a rego sticker affixed (in places like NSW) however there is (usually) no need to display a dedicated boat rego number (some states are different again.... arrrgh!). There is no requirement in this day and age to possess a coxswain's (or any other master's ticket) to operate a floatplane either with or without passengers. There was some talk about this many years ago but it didn't get off the ground (so to speak).

Some operators require their pilots to have a coxswain's ticket for operations that involve loading and unloading the aircraft by boat as there are (differing) requirements for this in different states/territories. There is no other requirement other than that apart from dedicated flying boat (seaplane) operations. Having flown beavers, C185's, maules and even a lake on a quick jolly out of the Ord river many years ago there has only ever been a requirement for a basic boat licence for that type of water flying. The Mallard operation where I currently work (in a different part of the operation) is slightly different as the guys involved are conductiong and supporting a commercial operation of another part of the company I work for, however to keep it in context, the Territory doesn't require any vesel (apart from vessels in survey) to be registered.

There are many grey areas in the rules that vary greatly around the country.

Regards,

Dave.

boatboy50
05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey Dave,

Thanks. I don't fly, but known the guys who operate the Seaplanes based out of the Goldie.

It may be a company policy, but to my knowledge, these guys have coxswains certificates.

Thanks again.

Darren