PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what to do if you catch a tagged fish?

TheRealAndy
03-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Just wondering how many people know what to do if they pull up a tagged fish.

The easist way is to visit the info-fish site -> http://www.info-fish.net/reporting_recapture.html or call suntag hotline (free) on 1800-077-001

If you catch a tagged fish, please do yourself and the rest of the rec-fishing community a favour and report it. It enables us to get real info on fish stocks so we can make accurate assesments on our fisheries. With out this detail current and future governments will continue to shut us out with out any credible science.

Cheers,

Andy.

Kevin Garrett
05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Andy,
I just read your posting as regards tagging
& thought you maybe interested in the following
On the 20/02/93 I tagged a small Black Marlin & Released it Just off Cape Moreton Tag No.S 76527 Weight at release was 20.Kgs
This Fish was Recaptured on 05/07/93.& travelled
3600 Km North. Time out 135 days & weighed 30Kgs.
I contacted N S W Fisheries to enquire who caught this fish They replied a Japanese" Purse Seine vessel "The Genpuku Maru #81
It was a dissapointment to see a professional catch
this fish & not a rec. angler.But it does show tagging fish
does no harm to the fish if handled correctly Cobia Kev

gone_phishin
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
You'll also receive a "Tag and Recapture Certificate" with all the details of who tagged it first, where it was first captured, where it was recaptured, how many times it's been recaptured and released, how much it's grown, how long it's "been out", and whether it was released or not.

I've had a Goldspot Rockcod caught 6 or 7 times in the same spot over a couple of months. Also shows they some species don't have long memories. I've recaught that little bloke myself 10 minutes after releasing him! And hasn't the bugger grown fast!! All great information.

Still waiting to see if he turns up out at the reefs one day.

Jurkyjj
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Andy,

I was under the impression that there are a few different governing bodies that looked after tagged fish....
I have in the past caught a tagged fish....and there was a phone number and reference number on the tag of whom to contact and pass on the relevant details.
Not sure if I am correct about the different governing bodies though.
I thought Sunfish or Suntag and or DPI (fisheries).

Jason.

finga
12-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the information Andy because I, for one, did not have a clue.
Cheers matey :)

Lucky_Phill
12-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Andy,

I was under the impression that there are a few different governing bodies that looked after tagged fish....
I have in the past caught a tagged fish....and there was a phone number and reference number on the tag of whom to contact and pass on the relevant details.
Not sure if I am correct about the different governing bodies though.
I thought Sunfish or Suntag and or DPI (fisheries).

Jason.

Sunfish do not look after tagged fish.

ALL tagged fish information is handled by Info-Fish. The DFI&F info is also held by Info-Fish.

Suntag is part of the AUSTAG program. This comes under the umbrella of ANSA ( Australian National Sportfishing Association ) .

It makes commonsense to have all this data handled and kept by the one group / body. Info-Fish and in particular Bill Sawynok and his wife Shirley and staff have developed an amazing program that transforms all data collected into a very detailed annalysis of fish stocks, habitat and fish populations, zoning outcomes and more importantly, a program that can accurately predict a fishing season in advance. True.... amazing stuff folks.

This is moreso for the central Queensland area as the SEQ area has had limited people tagging, but this is all about to change.

Ecofishers Queensland have their own identity held within Info-Fish so any member that wants to take up a tagging program can register with ANSA under Qld Sportfishers, but their data will be available to Ecofishers.

Basically, you need to be a member of a fishing club to undertake tagging. You can, however, undertake tagging on your own, but still have to register with ANSA, and if you are in Qld, come under the Qld Sportfishers banner.

More information about this program will be on the Ecofishers website very soon.

Cheers Phill

bugman
12-08-2009, 08:26 AM
We recaptured a tagged barra at Awoonga a few years back.

A member of our party landed a 106cm model and decided to keep it - I had the job of filleting it back at the park. Deep against the spine completely covered by flesh I found a tag.

We handed over the info through Trev (awoonga) actually who passed it on to the local stocking group who i think tagged the fish in the first place.

Anyway I'm a bit dusty on the details but it went something like - tagged 3 years earlier at around 360mm. They certainly grow fast in that dam.

I thought we were meant to get a cap but I'm still waiting.;)

Brett