PDA

View Full Version : Boat security alarm?

Maccas
02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I need a boat security alarm for those long trips away ( 1700km ) when I park the boat full of gear (particularly rod tubes which don't fit in the cabin) at overnight stay. I have wondered if a remote infra red sensor with built in siren like those you see in Bunnings would do the job. Has anyone tried these or have any better ideas?

Cheers,

Maccas

oldboot
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
There are real problems with infrar red in the great outdoors......I'd be thinking along the lines of some......mechanical security......like chaining stuff down and some simple ( read crude) siren and switch bassed measures.

a bit of imagination,, some wire, a few plugs and switches.....and a piezo screamer or two......could go a long way.

cheers

aussiefool
03-08-2009, 02:12 AM
You could always just unpack the stuff and take it into your room for the night

Chimo
03-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Maccas

We have used these with success. You probably will get a better result is you also place notices advising of the alarm. Used alarms when in van parks etc for overnighters when its too hard to empty the boats.

One thing that may cause you problems is the movement of tarps or we also found that a cockroach has set it off. At least that cockroach didn't get to breed as the alarm prompted a quick response from the crew!..

Need to set the alarm up low so you can still loose stuff if they can reach in and grab. If they climb in the alarm goes off and they are loud in a confined space whaich is waht you want.

For what your doing it wont hurt to try IMHO

Cheers
Chimo

Mr__Bean
03-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Dick Smith have a $30 portable alarm that looks OK.

Someone here put up a post a while back on using one and recommended them.

See here: http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/L5061

Moving tarps etc sound a very valid point, but if you set one of these up correctly you should be able to detect any intrusion into the boat below the gunnels whilst sheilding anything above that from its view.

- Darren

Kleyny
03-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I would have a look at shock sensors.

When i used to fit car alarms allot of alarms come with shock sensors.

You can adjust their sensitivity. you could set some to the point that a cat that jumped up on the car would make it go off.

neil

joe 09
03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
try this:http://cuda-alarms.com.au/

bundylundy
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
As Joe 09 says, there is a writeup about Cuda Alarms for boat trailers on page 52 of the August edition of Bush and Beach. It says sensor will react to vibration, movement and impact. Might be worth a look.

Jeff

Angryant
03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Maccas, what suburb do you live in? Is your boat glass or aluminium?
I might be able to show the Cuda alarm to you.