PDA

View Full Version : fix cracks in transum

Ian Harvey
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a 03 trailcraft with small crack on transum have try to contact some people who deal in trialcraft but have had no help.Would like some advice if anyone has had to do same thing.

Stuart
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Put up some photos of the crack.

Stu

The-easyrider
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I had cracks show up in the transom of my stacer and the first ones were fixed under waranty then when it cracked in the same spot they didnt want to know about it and the repair was only covered for 12 months and it cracked about 14 months aftrer the repair was first done. Was advised that once these cracks start up even when fixed up they will always come back as it is from the metal becoming work hardend from the constant flexing. So I went for the long term fix by buying a glass boat

Jarrah Jack
05-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Take the boat to a good alloy man and get his advice and a quote and go from there. Nothing like an expert opinion. Someone on this forum should be able to steer you towards the right person in your area. If not do an advanced search in this forum.

Achjimmy
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I had cracks show up in the transom of my stacer and the first ones were fixed under waranty then when it cracked in the same spot they didnt want to know about it and the repair was only covered for 12 months and it cracked about 14 months aftrer the repair was first done. Was advised that once these cracks start up even when fixed up they will always come back as it is from the metal becoming work hardend from the constant flexing. So I went for the long term fix by buying a glass boat

Thats right if the stress that is causing the crack is not removed or area braced the are immediately adjacent to the weld will crack were the metal has been heated and "shocked" by the weld. Go and see a good Alloy fabricator and generally they will patch over or brace the area to minimize it happening again.

Blue Dog
06-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Ian,
had cracks in both corners in the transom of my trailcraft profish which only has a 60hp 4 stroke on the back. There was way to much flex and the cracks were getting worse. Trailcraft upgraded the transoms on later models so I had a look at what they had done and went roughly along those lines. The company was already having dramas by this time so I didn;t worry about chasing them. My local sheet metal workshop (also builds boats) used 4mm aluminium plate to basically add a brace from the rear of the boat to the motor mount. I just removed the original inspection hatch and put it in the new section. The photo will explain things. Cost about $400 but it is much, much better.