PDA

View Full Version : What size bouy??

Mad-One
31-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Guy's.......What size Bouy would I need to use to lift a 15lb Plow anchor?

Cheers Phil

Chimo
31-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Phil

Are you using a slippery split ring or a spring clip?

How much chain is on the anchor?

What depth?

What sort of bottom, not yours, the seabed?

Cheers
Chimo

Mad-One
31-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Chimo....... About 10 metres of chain, a spring clip, depth varies 20m and deeper and sand and gravel bottom.
Other times I'd be using a reef pick

Cheers Phil

Chimo
01-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Hi Phil

If it were me I'd get rid of the spring clip (I used to use one but changed yrs ago) and get a more slippery split ring so things slide much easier to start with.

Again in the past I used a 20 lt black plastic acid container as my bouy and perhaps you could consider using similar if changing to a ring fails to get the anchor up quicker with your standard large foam ball.

Hope it works for you and before you try it at sea you could always bundle the anchor and chain and tie it to your intended float and see how much extra lift (bouyancy ) you actually have.

PS If you have a foam float you could also consider adding another one and using a double. Not sure how the lift of the two balls compares to the 20lt acid but thats another question. Still think the ring will help as it is slipperyer and all the chain will run thru it so the float supports your anchor on the surface.

see pics

Cheers
Chimo

bigbrian47
01-08-2009, 11:17 AM
chimo those split rings
does someone off this site make & sell them??
i remember something about them a couple of years ago,been using the running normal ring for ages, but those would be more convenient
cheers brian

Chimo
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Brian

Some were made and Capt has possibly still got a few. He sent a few far and wide. My original one is about 25 yrs old now.

PM Capt and see how you go. If not the guy who made some of them up could probably do more if enough were ordered.

Cheers
Chimo

The-easyrider
01-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I use a 300mm foam ball and a ring that I got from Bias I think they are about 50 bucks already made up the ring is like a big stainless schackle but instead of a pin to screw in it has a clip so you can take it off or on the rope only thing did was tie the clip to the schackle part with a bit of stainless wire befor one of the deckies dropped it in the drink. And yes that lifts my 15lb plough anchor

Mad-One
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
thanks guy's for all your replies. Very much appreciated

Cheers Mad

Mad-One
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I'd be interested in a split ring if someone has one

Mad