PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in Stacer hand rails

johnny roger
30-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello All,
I have a 14 month old 469 Stacer Sunmaster. While polishing the hand rails the other day, i noticed some cracks in the welds. Also what looks like electrolysis setting in under the hull?! I have sent pics to Stacer via the dealer i bought it off. He has come back to me saying that Stacer reckon the cracks are not cracks, but cuts. And that the marks on the hull are normal.
If any of you are entrepenaurs in this field, please have a look at the pics. I would appreciate any feed back or 'ammunition'.

Thanks,

John

tin can marlin
30-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi John i would say it looks fairly normal for a alloy boat and and cracks stand out more than what the photos are show the best thing would be to see if you are getting any bubling on your paint work and that will tell you if any electrolysis is setting in. You will get some members on here that may stir you up because they don't like telewater but the fact is the boat looks perfectly normal and i'am not the worlds biggest telewater fan but facts are facts.
Cheers Mark

boatie_72
30-07-2009, 08:58 PM
they arnt cracks they are cuts, i would say from when the boat was painted, ie when they would have masked everything up and then had to cut it away.

Alot of aluminium boats get piting on the bottoms, i would still check ur wiring and see if you have any current running through ur hull.

tin can marlin
30-07-2009, 09:08 PM
they arnt cracks they are cuts, i would say from when the boat was painted, ie when they would have masked everything up and then had to cut it away.

Alot of aluminium boats get piting on the bottoms, i would still check ur wiring and see if you have any current running through ur hull.
I could not agree more than the above Stacers are like any other boats not perfect as they are hand made the other thing to do is always make sure you battery is always not live while the boat is not being used. I think the stacer book should cover this in more detail.

griz066
30-07-2009, 10:14 PM
110% positive they are NOT cracks. welds wont crack through thr guts like that they tend to crack at the edges.

FNQCairns
30-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Those marks under hull look to me to be simple corrosion, when you wash the side you concentrate salt along the botom. The water evaporates leaving clusters of highly concentrated semi damp (dependent on humidity) salt which causes heightened corrosion. I guess effectively the same as if we didn't wash the upside and what it would look like.

Mine is the same but not as bad because I also last of all blast the hull to dilute any extra washed down salt.

cheers fnq

sleepygreg
30-07-2009, 10:29 PM
those 'cracks' appear to extend in a continuous line to the tube, which leads me to think they are not cracks, as the tube would not crack this way...they look too smooth to be cracks...more like cuts or scores made by external means. Re the hull - I have never seen raw aluminim NOT do this when exposed to continuous salt water immersion, though as others have said, check your electronics to make sure you dont have an ongoing issue.

Greg

Angla
30-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Do you keep the boat inside or outside, covered or uncovered, or in a closed shed? What product do you use when washing it down?

Cheers
Chris

Charlie
31-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks pretty much like my Stacer which has never been in Saltwater, unless ali corroded in a controlled fashion by anodizing this is what happens, even a new boat left sitting indoors and it will eventually look like yours. Tin can marlins probably right about the cuts cracking just doesn't happen like that.

johnny roger
01-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Do you keep the boat inside or outside, covered or uncovered, or in a closed shed? What product do you use when washing it down?

Cheers
Chris

Hey Angla,

the boat stays in the shed on the trailer when not in use. I work away, so it is sometimes in the shed for a few months at a time. i don't really use any washing detergent. just fresh water.

John

johnny roger
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi John i would say it looks fairly normal for a alloy boat and and cracks stand out more than what the photos are show the best thing would be to see if you are getting any bubling on your paint work and that will tell you if any electrolysis is setting in. You will get some members on here that may stir you up because they don't like telewater but the fact is the boat looks perfectly normal and i'am not the worlds biggest telewater fan but facts are facts.
Cheers Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for that. There is no bubbling on the paint work at the moment.

John

johnny roger
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks to all you blokes that have given me all this valuable information. I feel a bit better now.
Thanks again,

John

Dave71
01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
While/after you wash your boat put a sprinkler under it to wash the bottom of the hull and the trailer. I have done this with both alloy boats that I have had to ensure that the salt has been removed.
Dave

rooboy98
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
If any of you are entrepenaurs in this field, please have a look at the pics. I would appreciate any feed back or 'ammunition'.

Thanks,

John

G'day John,

Definitely only looks like scoring of the metal's surface in the photos.

As others have mentioned previously, the "crack like" lines are not running in areas where you would normally expect to find cracking. The straightness of the lines, especially in the actual rails themselves and not just the welded areas is also not typical of cracking due to fatigue or poor quality welding etc.

Cheers,
Roo.

welder
02-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Looks like hard water deposits or Salt deposits on the bottom of the hull.

The lines on the so called welds look like razor blade cuts from someone that doesn't care about Fit and Finish.

black runner
02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
The lines on the so called welds look like razor blade cuts from someone that doesn't care about Fit and Finish.

I reckon Welder has nailed it here. Imagine someone slashing the masking material off the rails with a knife after the hull painting has been completed - straight through and scored the ally!

Cheers