PDA

View Full Version : Nice parrot and snapps on "Alexander"

dayoo
30-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Headed out on "Alexander" yesterday morning from Mooloolaba with 4 on board including the skipper Pepi, his brother Sasho, me and Rob the braid fanatic. Slightly choppy conditions early reduced the cruising out speed to 33 knots. Headed out wide to a mark in 100 metres which the skipper was keen to try.

One short drift over the mark produced 3 good sized parrot so we dropped anchour. Wind and current made it difficult to fish as lines went towards the bow instead of straight out the back. Hung on this mark for 3 hours for only 4 snapper and 6 parrot. The fish were not biting and we found out why when a monster tiger shark about 12 foot followed up a snapper and then began circling the boat.

The buggar would not leave despite being hooked twice so we had to move back in to one of our productive marks in 70 metres.

Fishing was slow at first but around 3pm the bite picked up and we ended up with a good feed of snapper, a good pearlie and a lot of big tuskies.

Three of us used 40 lb mono and Rob was using braid with 5 metres of flurocarbon leader. The braid only caught 3 fish and we kept telling Rob to switch to mono as the fish were not biting properly.
When the bite is like this you can feel the bites better on braid but the fish can also feel you on the other end. Mono = 36 fish Braid = 3 fish.

We headed back to Mooloolaba in near calm conditions cruising at 50 knots with me resting in my bean bag at the back of the boat.

We gave Rob an equal share of the catch in exchange for a promise to use mono on his next trip,;D

A few pics are attached.

Cheers
Barry

No Fear
30-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Nice catch and good report!! Just pity the poor bloke or blokes that have to clean those parrot.........

Fish_gutz
30-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the report, a tasty bag of fish there.

Cheers Andrew

dayoo
30-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Nice catch and good report!! Just pity the poor bloke or blokes that have to clean those parrot.........

No trouble with tuskies. Just scale and fillet leaving the guts and internal organs on the frame or better still, just fillet starting at the head and run the knife back up the fillet removing the skin with scales attached.

Cheers
Barry

legsy11
30-07-2009, 02:39 PM
keeps ya coming back hey mate,great little session mate.

Chris_2184
30-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Headed out on "Alexander" yesterday morning from Mooloolaba with 4 on board including the skipper Pepi, his brother Sasho, me and Rob the braid fanatic. Slightly choppy conditions early reduced the cruising out speed to 33 knots. Headed out wide to a mark in 100 metres which the skipper was keen to try.

One short drift over the mark produced 3 good sized parrot so we dropped anchour. Wind and current made it difficult to fish as lines went towards the bow instead of straight out the back. Hung on this mark for 3 hours for only 4 snapper and 6 parrot. The fish were not biting and we found out why when a monster tiger shark about 12 foot followed up a snapper and then began circling the boat.

The buggar would not leave despite being hooked twice so we had to move back in to one of our productive marks in 70 metres.

Fishing was slow at first but around 3pm the bite picked up and we ended up with a good feed of snapper, a good pearlie and a lot of big tuskies.

Three of us used 40 lb mono and Rob was using braid with 5 metres of flurocarbon leader. The braid only caught 3 fish and we kept telling Rob to switch to mono as the fish were not biting properly.
When the bite is like this you can feel the bites better on braid but the fish can also feel you on the other end. Mono = 36 fish Braid = 3 fish.

We headed back to Mooloolaba in near calm conditions cruising at 50 knots with me resting in my bean bag at the back of the boat.

We gave Rob an equal share of the catch in exchange for a promise to use mono on his next trip,;D

A few pics are attached.

Cheers
Barry

were they meant to be km/h?? coz 33 knots seems pretty damn fast in choppy conditions:-/ maybe I'm wrong

nice fish tho

cheers

Greg P
30-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Barry - nice feed there mate. I would take the parrot and pearlies over the snaps any day.

Chris - you need to see the boat first - it may be knots as the thing is a weapon.

wags on the water
30-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for sharing (once again) Barry. There certainly are some quality Tuskies in those pics and it's good to see the Snapps are increasing in size and numbers since my last trip out wide.

Cheers,
Wags

-spiro-
30-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Bazza you need a lessen in useing braid? I don't seem to have much trouble with ratio's against a mono donga. I anything its above.........
Anyways good catch and report..

dayoo
30-07-2009, 04:31 PM
were they meant to be km/h?? coz 33 knots seems pretty damn fast in choppy conditions:-/ maybe I'm wrong

nice fish tho

cheers

Mate,

65km/h out and about 95km/h back. Boat has twin 250 suzukies.

Cheers
Barry

dayoo
30-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Bazza you need a lessen in useing braid? I don't seem to have much trouble with ratio's against a mono donga. I anything its above.........
Anyways good catch and report..

Chris,

I don't need any lessons in useing braid but Rob does.::)

We were using a snood rig with a 6 ball on top of the hooks and 40lb platypus platinum main line plus the 70lb pretest green leader (just in case a solid red was around). No current at the 70 metre mark.

Cheers
Barry

skipalong
30-07-2009, 05:31 PM
some top fish barry what was the run like down that area?

justin

dayoo
30-07-2009, 06:26 PM
some top fish barry what was the run like down that area?

justin

Justin,

A little run at the 100 metre mark but at the 70 metre mark we were going straight down with 6 to 8 ball sinkers.

Cheers
Barry

jtpython
30-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Thats a great feed there guys love them tuskie's
Great pics and someone should wake that fella up at the back there
LOL
JT

NIZ180
30-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Awesome report, what sort of boat is that? must be a beast with 500hp on the back!!!

dayoo
30-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Awesome report, what sort of boat is that? must be a beast with 500hp on the back!!!

Its a 8.5 metre Ocean Prowler built by Performance Plats Boats at Brendale in Brisbane. I posted pics of the beast last year in some of my other reports.

Cheers
Barry

dayoo
30-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Thats a great feed there guys love them tuskie's
Great pics and someone should wake that fella up at the back there
LOL
JT

Yeah!!! Fancy going to sleep while doing 95km/h;D

Cheers
Barry

Dean1
30-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Nice feed there boys nothing wrong with those tuskies im always happy to see them show their heads from the depths!! Hope to be heading out there myself on saturday. If work stops getting in the way!! Cheers, Deano..

Chris_2184
30-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Mate,

65km/h out and about 95km/h back. Boat has twin 250 suzukies.

Cheers
Barry

impressive:o how are those zukies on fuel at that speed?

dayoo
30-07-2009, 09:07 PM
impressive:o how are those zukies on fuel at that speed?

You don't want to know:o :o unless you own a petrol station.;D

Cheers
Barry

Platitudinus
31-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Hey;
Tell Rob to get a softer tip to his rod and he will outfish you all with his braid. Seriously - you've got to match the gear to the conditions and if you used 40lb mono he could have used 20lb braid and a 40lb 5m flouro leader.
Plato

dayoo
31-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey;
Tell Rob to get a softer tip to his rod and he will outfish you all with his braid. Seriously - you've got to match the gear to the conditions and if you used 40lb mono he could have used 20lb braid and a 40lb 5m flouro leader.
Plato

Mate he has the best plastics rods money can buy and very expensive spinning reels. His braid was 20lb with 40lb and 5m fluro leader.

The gear is but only part of the story, the quality and knowledge of the angler is most important when it comes to landing fish.

Cheers
Barry

bondy99
31-07-2009, 08:49 AM
G'day Barry,

I have a 1001b braid spooled onto Penn GTI 345 Reel mounted on Live Fibre Rod.

I just sent you a pm

Peter

lido76
31-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice going Barry and crew some good fish in that lot. I fished the 12 mile area and struggled all day until our last couple of drifts around 1pm when we managed to put a feed in the esky. I heard on the radio that the arvo bite is better at the moment. Next trip might be a late morning till early evening trip. Cheers mate Brendan.

P.S for those doubting the speed of this boat you really need to see her to believe it The boat isn't named Alexander the Weapon for nothing a truely awsome rig.....

Fishbait
31-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Nice report Barry. Awesome load of fish as usual. Love the beanbag idea!
Who cares about fuel economy when fishing anyway - its our pastime to relax and its great to be out on the water.
Sounds like you'll have to take a picture of the boat when you blokes leaving next time to show the folks who missed the pictures last year. I've seen it and Yes its an awesome boat! Your lucky to have friends like that.
Look forward to your next report.
Darren

Jurkyjj
31-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Great feed of fish there Barry.
Well Done.
95km/h on the way home:o WOW!! That's moving!!

Cheers,Jason.

nautical prince
31-07-2009, 05:54 PM
top report bazza we were tryin to get you blokes on the raidio but we were 80 km north of DI some good ground out there boys lost some good reds and got one. pearlies were thick fish were slow to bite but got about 30 all up. peppi got that block of land at DI will have to get him out through the bar and get into some red fellas
cheers lenny

bondy99
02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I love to get some good reds. I think down south most of the offshore reefs are becoming desserts.

Peter

wags on the water
03-08-2009, 01:13 AM
impressive how are those zukies on fuel at that speed?

If you can afford the boat , you can afford the fuel. I had to look twice when I first saw this weapon in the carpark, then I had another look and thought WOW..:o:o

dayoo
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
For those who havn't seen the weapon. Attached is a pic.

Awesome fishing platform for getting out wide fast and fishing in comfort.

Cheers
Barry

plaztix
03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
As always a top haul of fish Barry.;)

That pic doesn't really do it justice size wise. You really need a couple of people or a car in front to give you an idea of how massive 'Alexander' is. An absolute beast of a boat. :o

Problem is it makes massive snapper look like pinkies and the blokes holding them look like dwarves.;D::)

dayoo
03-08-2009, 02:13 PM
As always a top haul of fish Barry.;)

That pic doesn't really do it justice size wise. You really need a couple of people or a car in front to give you an idea of how massive 'Alexander' is. An absolute beast of a boat. :o

Problem is it makes massive snapper look like pinkies and the blokes holding them look like dwarves.;D::)

Mate I think I will get permission from the boys who own 'Alexander" to post full pics on chatboard under boating. They are a bit shy of publicity.

Problem with them standing alongside the boat is that they are both very tall.

Cheers
Barry