PDA

View Full Version : offshore Moreton Island 29/7/09

pop-eye
29-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi all

What a pearler of a day for a bit of offshore fishing 29/7/09.

Finally got in the water as it turned out, by myself at 9.30am and headed about 25km NE of the bar in 70m of water.
On arrival i flicked out a 5" BBQ Chicken Jerk Shad on my 8lb to 14lb Daiwa Exceller SP rod/SoronSTX40 10lb braid with 20lb fluro leader.
I then got the bottom basher rig down with a livie and then as i was going to sit down to have a coffee the Exceller bent over to the max. After some good runs i got him to the surface and then into my dodgy net. 80cm with fin stretched.

Just as i was trying to get the hook out, the paternoster rig went off. I got the rod out of the holder and it was going hard. I got the beast about half way up when it went its second run. Just as i was going to back off the drag it gnawed through. Big fish that one!. The rig was made from 60 lb mono tied to 30lb braid guided through a $39 Abu Garcia 6'6"OverHead matched with a "on special"$99 akuma CT-30L. Dont know how long the rod will last but i am impressed so far.same goes for the reel

The soft plastic was quite so i pulled it up and floated down a pillie on my M10/tld25 40lb mono rig. I tell you what that did the trick as i was onto something big, a big snapper for sure. What a fight,i was winning untill my knot on the 8/0 Big Red pulled.

After pulling up my bottom lip i turned back around for a second drift and nailed these 3 other smaller fish on the floater before heading for home

Before i go i must say next trip i wll be making the paternoster rig out of flurocarbon or maybe even piano wire:)

wags on the water
30-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Nice work Pop-eye and don't forget to clip the fins.

Suzuki RipTide
30-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Nice catch mate good to here you had sweet conditions we had 16 knots of southerly off DI uncomfortable.

nezevic99
30-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Very nice fish. Shame about losing a couple.

Wags,
I'm pretty sure snapper aren't considered coral reef fin fish therefore aren't required to have their fins clipped.

wags on the water
30-07-2009, 10:03 AM
ok. better to be safe than sorry though....

dayoo
30-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Very nice fish. Shame about losing a couple.

Wags,
I'm pretty sure snapper aren't considered coral reef fin fish therefore aren't required to have their fins clipped.

Might be wise to start clipping pecs of all fish as I am pretty sure this will be introduced from Jan 1, 2010.

Cheers
Barry

Spectre
30-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Well done Pop-eye for a solo mission.
Gotta be happy with that ...a good feed of Snappa..!!!

Did u have any trouble finding livies ..??
I know they have been scarce at times at the bait grounds off the bottom end of Moreton !!!

Cheers

pop-eye
30-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Cheers all

Wags thanks for raising that issue to me in regards to the clipping of fins as it is a concept i am not familiar and as i plan on doing more offshore reef fishing i will not forget the new reqs now.

Suzuki RipTide was that Double Island Point?

Hi Spectre Yeh i am over the moon as i finally put myself onto some quality fish

Oh yeh livies. i fail to remember excactly where the bait grounds are so i headed straight out at 40`for 15k and only caught a yakka on the paternoster rig just as i decided to move on

jarhead
30-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Some quality snaps there, well done.

Cheers Wal

Angla
30-07-2009, 07:11 PM
very good fish there Pop-eye. The fish should be on this weekend too. Those fish make the little one look like a baitfish.

A great meal coming at your place

Cheers
Chris

tailorboi99
30-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you had a good day, well done and nice Snapper.

Fishing_Freddy
30-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Great effort and a good feed for it well done.
Ken :beer:

lampuki
30-07-2009, 07:54 PM
What sized jig head where you using? I am novice at soft plastics......I am wondering how heavy a jig head you would need to get down 70 meters with a little bit of current running.

TimiBoy
30-07-2009, 08:14 PM
A 2 oz head will get down there with a mild current running. I've hooked fish with them, but always lose the lot :-[.

Cheers,

Tim

Suzuki RipTide
30-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah mate it was a pretty steddy punch into it

pop-eye
31-07-2009, 06:53 PM
What sized jig head where you using? I am novice at soft plastics......I am wondering how heavy a jig head you would need to get down 70 meters with a little bit of current running.

The Jighead i used was a TT 3/4 ounce 7/0 and the conditions were such you didnt need to go any heavier.

Jurkyjj
31-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Great fish there mate.
Nice work on the SP.
Keep trying and maybe jump on the website and learn to tie those knots so that you don't loose trophy fish.

Cheers and good work!! Jason