PDA

View Full Version : Cobe mission that wasn't

frankgrimes
29-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Headed of Goldie in search of a cobe, got plenty of nice sized trags(~60cm models), and an ~8kg mac tuna that gave a good account of itself.

Plenty of bait about, but it was all small choppers that made short work of my bait jigs.

Couldn't get a floater out due to those pesky friggin birds that can dive 10meters down....stupid things wouldn't leave me alone.

So no cobes, but should be able to convert the mac tuna into a snap or two.

Mick

RAT-KING
29-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Well done
sounds like a great sesh! was there any other livies out there?
Cheers Simon

jtpython
30-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Good feed mate ..... How's the squiding going
JT

frankgrimes
30-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Well done
sounds like a great sesh! was there any other livies out there?
Cheers Simon

Only livies I could get were choppers(Send down a jig with 6 hooks, and come back with none!)....tried 4 different spots.

frankgrimes
30-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Good feed mate ..... How's the squiding going
JT

Hey JT,

Squidding is going pretty ordinary mate...tried for about an hour for zilch!

Might head out fri night and have a decent crack at it.

Mick

Travesso
30-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Man, I hear you with them birds! Absolute pests those little brown bastards!! They infuriated EVERYONE in my boat last time we went out, they are absolutely ignorant to your presence. Even a "tap" with a rod tip and they just shake their wings and continue looking under the water for your next bait / burley bit!

Mad-One
30-07-2009, 07:59 AM
where off the Goldie were you? We were out around the 24's but could only manage a couple of baby trevally. spent about 6 hours out there looking about trying to find something, only relatively new to offshore and still finding my way. Found heaps of bait fish but that was about it. Great day out and seen heaps of dolphins

Cheers Mad

frankgrimes
30-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Man, I hear you with them birds! Absolute pests those little brown bastards!! They infuriated EVERYONE in my boat last time we went out, they are absolutely ignorant to your presence. Even a "tap" with a rod tip and they just shake their wings and continue looking under the water for your next bait / burley bit!

Yep - Real PITA...tried throwing ice at them, moving...nothing worked(Wish I had my old sluggie with me! ;) )

frankgrimes
30-07-2009, 08:35 AM
where off the Goldie were you? We were out around the 24's but could only manage a couple of baby trevally. spent about 6 hours out there looking about trying to find something, only relatively new to offshore and still finding my way. Found heaps of bait fish but that was about it. Great day out and seen heaps of dolphins

Cheers Mad

Hi Mad,

Yep off Goldie - 24's...trag were active around turn of the tide(H), there's some good spots out there....just got to put in them time to find them ;)

Do you have a decent plotter that shows contour lines? Work these (I find drifting them more productive).

Mick

Teachnthekids
30-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Guys,

A solution for the birds - that is legal!

Take a bottle of tuna oil out with you puncture it and let it sit in the berley bucket - the resulting oil slick will keep the birds away from your floaters.

We use this in Coffs to ward off the Mutton Birds.

Cheers
Rob

nigelr
30-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Great catch on the trag, lovely to eat! Nice load of fresh bait also with the MT.
Talking of birds, just for a change from the muttons, last trip out I was plagued by a couple of albatros. One big brown bu$$a wouldn't leave me alone even tho' I fed it all my burley and bait! Flippin' huge it was, wanted to take my hand off when I fed it from the gunnel. Prior to its' arrival, I had just moved from a spot where I had been harrassed by a huge white model with a slate grey back, it was a bit more wary than the brown one, which I presume was a juvenile.
I can understand why so many fall to longline baits etc.
Thanks for the tip Rob, I'll give the tuna oil bottle a go next time the muttons return. Do you think it would work on albatros?
Cheers.

Mad-One
30-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Frank
Going to head out tomorrow am for another go. Still working the sounder out to get the best out of it. Will let you know how I go

Cheers Mad

skipalong
31-07-2009, 04:52 PM
mick may i suggest use bigger baits jigs bcause with my experience with cobes is that small tailor make far better live baits for them than yakka or slimies. is well and truely proven in my boat anyway.

justin