PDA

View Full Version : Strong Wind Warning and Insurance

Scott nthQld
28-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm under the understanding that if you head out whilst a strong wind warning from BOM is current then your boat insurance can or will be voided if something goes balls up.

However, whilst out with another member yesterday, on his boat, that is fully ensured, a strong wind warning was issued.

Weather was a bit on the 'hows ya father' side of things but the water was behaving itslef, for the second time this year, the swell and chop wanting to go in the same direction.

We headed out on the advice from BOM, seabreeze plus a couple of other ppredictions that the wind would be up in the morning (which it was) and would drop to aout 10knts around midday (which it did). When we left the ramp there were no weather warnings current from any source, let alone BOM.

About 1pm, listening to the weather updates from the VMR, it came across that winds would be increasing upwards of 20knts and a strong wind warning was now current. The fishing was a bit slow and we were heading in anyway so it din't really bother us.

Now for my question, given all of what I have said above, what would happen in our case, ie, heading out without any strong wind warnings, but one being issued whilst we were at sea? Would any boat insurance be honored in this case IF things were to go belly up?

PS we didn't go far, just about 15-20min from the ramp, had a good day on the water, even caught a couple of fish which is even better considering fishing conditions weren't exactly ideal

Lucky_Phill
28-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I'd be having a read of your insurance policy.

I have heard similar.... rumours, but never bothered to check documents... maybe it's time...

Phill

Scalem
28-07-2009, 01:19 PM
There is nothing in my policy doc that specifically relates to strong wind warning, but one little clause that could be manipulated to their advantage is "failure by you or a person in charge of your boat to take reasonable precautions for the safety and
security of your boat"
That's the only thing I could find that could relate to no pay out if you knowingly head out in strong wind warning conditions IMO, although I think it relates more specifically, as advised by a representative on the phone, to have at least a padlock on the towing hitch and securing of vessel to a fence or fixture if the boat is in public view when being stored.

Scalem

bennyboy
28-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Heading out when a Strong Wind Warning was current or forecast can be seen by insurance companies as failure to take reasonable precautions for the safety and security of your boat.
If you are out boating and one was issued without your knowledge I think your in the ok.

Insurance will not pay out for a stolen car if you leave the keys in the ignition.

I think if you lost your boat due to the conditions one of the first thing the insurance officer would be doing is checking if a wind warning was issued. It gives them an option not to pay and we all know if there is a way for them not to pay they won't.

There was recently a guy who came across the GC sea way in big seas in a $500K sailing cat and he was advised by the harbour master not to cross the bar. I'm sure if he lost the boat his insurance wouldn't pay